Thread: Turtles - What's up?

Default Turtles - What's up?

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like to have feedback on the composition of the picture.
    I shot this photo to show the closeness and relationship between the turtles.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I wanted to depict closeness between beings - even animals enjoy company.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    It was mid afternoon and I felt that the warm sun emphasized the warmth of the picture.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
    I believe the photo would have been better if I had employed deeper field or probably have chosen a nearer focal point.

Thanks for looking guys! This is my first attempt at publishing photos (other than facebook snaps ) Just a beginner looking to improve

Default Re: Turtles - What's up?

is the turtle got company? i saw only one turtle. the smaller one actually look like trying to run away.... doesnt seem show they are enjoying the company...well maybe is lover tiff... i feel you should try improve the focus on the turtle head...btw wat are the thing that stickout next to its neck?
    Last edited by glyph07; 12th June 2010 at 01:22 PM.

the thing next to the turtle's neck is part of its shell structure; there is also one on the other side. i'm not too sure but maybe this is unique to males in their species.
    the turtle at the back was approaching the 2nd turtle so i thought it was just a nice frame to take.

thanks for commenting

If he means improving the focus I think he meant using a smaller aperture to increase DOF. Otherwise i think, exposure is great

Somehow the focus seems to be on the small patch of sandy ground just in front of a green leaf (and maybe the left fore limb of the second turtle) rather than on the turtles as a whole...yup, i think a greater DOF would work better for your picture.

thanks for the comments guys..! will try dropping a stop or two next time I shoot some animals again

any other comments out there?

I think its not bad , composition was about it , yeah impressive.
    NIKON D90 | NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G | NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D | TOKINA 11-16mm F/2.8

2 OOF turtles, that's what you need to fix first. Because the shot is so close or tightly cropped, the 2 turtle faces are too far away to show any relationship. Shadows are too harsh.