Thread: Glass Reflection

Default Glass Reflection

Hi All,

I will like to take a glass reflection shot. i.e. someone looking into the cafe who maybe tempting to have the food inside.

Can anyone advise on how to I take the shot? any specific filter required to have a clear reflection from the cafe mirror to see the someone expression who is standing outside from the cafe glass?

can anyone advise on the settings? or filters?

Default Re: Glass Reflection

Settings will depend on the environmental light.

But you can try shooting from an angle (maybe 60degrees to the glass), and may be with a CPL to cut down reflections on the glass, so you can capture the person outside, if you are shooting from inside.

Or even if shooting from outside, same thing, shoot from an angle, and use a CPL.

My 2 cents. HTH.

Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Settings will depend on the environmental light.

But you can try shooting from an angle (maybe 60degrees to the glass), and may be with a CPL to cut down reflections on the glass, so you can capture the person outside, if you are shooting from inside.
    I think he wants the opposite, he wants to KEEP the reflection.

TS, it's not a setting or filter you need, it's a basic understanding of light and angles. You just need to make sure there's enough light on both sides to get a smaller dynamic range between the indoors and outdoors.
    Alpha

Thread moved to newbies corner.

Quote Originally Posted by misfits View Post
    Hi All,

I will like to take a glass reflection shot. i.e. someone looking into the cafe who maybe tempting to have the food inside.

Can anyone advise on how to I take the shot? any specific filter required to have a clear reflection from the cafe mirror to see the someone expression who is standing outside from the cafe glass?

There's really no specific settings, much dependent on the lighting environment.

No filter required. Just the right time (lighting conditions) and right angle..

HTH
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Blog Entries

cpl will be useful tats for sure... else u gotta just trial and error lor. last time i tried with windows and can get that critical angle. just try and try bah. jiayous!

What rashkae and dingaroo said.

Angles, light levels and a CPL to cut down possible reflections on the outside of the glass from which you are shooting. Also, shoot with the lens as close to the exterior glass as possible, and if possible, wipe that glass on both sides.

Hi All,

if I understand you correctly, you are at OUTside of the cafe, shooting this person standing OUTside the cafe looking into cafe thru the glass window, that you can see the interior of the cafe and the reflection of this person face.

to get this shot, you need to balance the lighting ratio between OUTside and INside the cafe, if inside too bright, you won't see the reflection of the person clearly, and if outside too bright, all you see is only the reflection.

So, there won't be any MAGIC setting or MAGIC filter able to help.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    What rashkae and dingaroo said.

Angles, light levels and a CPL to cut down possible reflections on the outside of the glass from which you are shooting. Also, shoot with the lens as close to the exterior glass as possible, and if possible, wipe that glass on both sides.
    Erm.... The opposite of this I'd say since you *want* to catch the reflections.

if you wanted to NOT have the reflections, then what Dream Merchant said applies.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if I understand you correctly, you are at OUTside of the cafe, shooting this person standing OUTside the cafe looking into cafe thru the glass window, that you can see the interior of the cafe and the reflection of this person face.

to get this shot, you need to balance the lighting ratio between OUTside and INside the cafe, if inside too bright, you won't see the reflection of the person clearly, and if outside too bright, all you see is only the reflection.

hope this help.
    exactomundo
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Erm.... The opposite of this I'd say since you *want* to catch the reflections.

if you wanted to NOT have the reflections, then what Dream Merchant said applies.
    The reflection is in the mirror inside the cafe.

A polarizing filter will never cut out reflections from a metallic surface, and mirrors are silvered, or at least good quality ones more likely found in cafes are.

The cpl is for any possible reflections on the outside of the exterior glass of the cafe, the vantage point from which TS intends to shoot.

That's the lesser of the problem.

Balancing the light levels is a far more exacting task.

One way I can think of is to find a place with reflection on just part of the glass, with the rest of the area in shadow. So the part with light will reflect the person's face, while the part in shadow will let you see through into the cafe. Will need to pick the right time, location, and shooting angle.
    Last edited by ziploc; 11th June 2010 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    One way I can think of is to find a place with reflection one just part of the glass, with the rest of the area in shadow. So the part with light will reflect the person's face, while the part in shadow will let you see through into the cafe. Will need to pick the right time, location, and shooting angle.
    Sounds very 'folm noir'.

Wonder which cafes in SG which might allow a shoot have that sort of light/shadow. Worth checking out.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 11th June 2010 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    The reflection is in the mirror inside the cafe.
    oooooooh. Good point.
    Alpha

Just a suggestion to add. Assuming you and the model are both outside the glass, there will be places in the cafe that are darker than others (a dark door for example). If, from the point of view of the camera, your model's reflection appears against a darker, uncluttered area, it will be clearer. So move the model and the camera around to try to achieve that.
    If the light falling on your model's face is not enough for a nice reflection, a bit of off-camera flash might help. Depending on your exact set-up, the flash can actually be positioned on the other side of the glass, inside the cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

hope this help.
    Yes, catchlights .... what u describe is what i hope to achieve.

I think it involves a trial an error thing plus a little bit of luck .
    NIKON D90 | NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G | NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D | TOKINA 11-16mm F/2.8

Yes, catchlights .... what u describe is what i hope to achieve.
    I see, what you need to control, is balancing the ratio of the two lighting, inside and outside the cafe. that is the external factors, camera setting is the least of the factors.

if you lucky enough, you may able to find certain spot which the lighting is more ideal,
    or else you can try another approach by taking two identical shots on a tripod, one exposed for the interior, one exposed for the exterior, blend it in photoshop with lots of layer mask.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio