Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First attempt

Default Re: First attempt

is there any pp skills i can do to make the landscape behind looks more distinct?
    i think only curve....
    not much i can do to make it more stand out, i guess..

Quote Originally Posted by S2S2S2 View Post
    is there any pp skills i can do to make the landscape behind looks more distinct?
    i think only curve....
    Screwed composition cannot be rescued in post-processing. You could work with selections and partial adjustments .. But best is to go back and take new pictures. Change your position, try different angles ... and see how it works.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by S2S2S2 View Post
    i think only curve....
    I pretty much like the way those buildings look; They don't look that distinct because they are backlit and this add more atmosphere to it.

I think you can simplify the photo further by cropping away some of the left, and burn the glass & steel structure at the top; This will put more emphasis on the centre of the photo where the light and shadow are most interesting.

I would much prefer the shadow of the second man from the right not being cropped; A little bit more foreground would be better.

Here is roughly how I would edit the photo, by just add some contrast and burn-in at the corner. But I still prefer the distant building to be less distinct in your original photo:

This photo shows a mixture of different structures; Architectural & human forms. The humans are surrounded by urban structures, I can't spot a tree nearby which is typical in our country. So, I think the title "Urbanisation" is pretty apt here.

issint it alittle too dark. alot of details are lost...
    however it did brings out a different feeling
    Last edited by S2S2S2; 18th June 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Yeah, it is a different feeling. But in B&W, you can be a bit more daring in giving it more contrast if needed, and renders details as black if necessary. In B&W, contrast is everything; It is not necessary to see everything in detail if you choose to.

In this case, I gives the glass & steel structure a darker tone; this adds a little dimension to the whole image. Helps to make it look more interesting, or else everything is bright in the scene which is little bit too "bland".

Also, it also helps the image if the shadows look a little bit darker / more contrasty. The human figures are near "silhouette", there is little detail anyway; Given that this is a backlit situation, it is approriately possible.

That's my personal opinion. Of course, it doesn't has to be so. There are many thing you can do to a b&w image.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12