Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

  1. #21

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    yar... i usually hang 2 ard my neck.
    was trying to read where is TS going to... cant seem to find it...
    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    eehhh..... your setup probably dun suit most ppl other than the most hardcore. I'm looking at your lens setup, do u carry 2 dslr + 2 lens round your neck at the same time for fast street shooting, hence the need for two cam (plus one backup)? for me, i have 1 backup body but that is in the backpack, not carry-around.

    ladakh's not as hot as the area that ts's travelling.

  2. #22
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Quote Originally Posted by dingzyangz View Post
    yar... i usually hang 2 ard my neck.
    was trying to read where is TS going to... cant seem to find it...
    actually you can assume that the high altitudes is the exception. he said from south to north.

  3. #23
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Quote Originally Posted by dingzyangz View Post
    yar... i usually hang 2 ard my neck.
    was trying to read where is TS going to... cant seem to find it...
    one wide angle, one short tele? prime when needed?

  4. #24

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    depends on the place... but usually 35 on one cam and 85 on the other. it's only during landscapes that i use the 12-24.

    but sometimes i do use 12-24 for street as well... but not very common.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    one wide angle, one short tele? prime when needed?

  5. #25

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Hi Friend
    CArry atleast 30 to 40 rolls of slide film, it is very difficult to get slide films in India, they are very costly, film rolls are available easily, like Fuji crystal 100 and 200 ASA,
    Donnot carry too much equipment, a short zoom is OK.

    Thanks
    alok

  6. #26

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Note that if you are going to the TAJ MAHAL, they do not allow you to take in any bags, and definitely no tripods, so be prepared when you go, cos carrying an extra lens is difficult (I think, if I remember correctly), that they let me carry my bumbag in.

    For vaccinations, Tan Tock Seng Hospital has an excellent TRAVELERS' HEALTH & VACCINATION CLINIC, L1, 1 Jalan Tan Tock Seng. you can just walk in, and the doctors/nurses there are well versed in travel advise, much better than an average GP. I went there before my recent trip to Africa, and they were so helpful.

    Good luck! India's fantastic (heat, crowds, smells notwithstanding).
    addicted to photography

  7. #27

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    actually you can assume that the high altitudes is the exception. he said from south to north.
    To be exact, I will start;
    In Chennai, and then on to Madurai, Bangalore, someplace near Jogfalls(to visit a friend), Mumbai, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi and then Delhi. There were more places, but we managed(me and my friend from Germany(she was overly excited at first and wanted to visit more places)) to cut down and reduce. Mid August to mid September.

    I'm still considering whether or not to bring my 24mm and although a telephoto would be useful, I just decided against it because of the weight. Old manual lenses are just too damned heavy. I'm also considering whether to air out my Praktica with it's smaller lenses.

    Also with regards to the slide film, 30-40 rolls is a little much imo. I doubt I'll be carrying that much, if any at all. Regardless of how colourful India is, my P&S can capture everything in unbridled over-saturated colours. I prefer to shoot B/W film. Personal choice I guess

  8. #28
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Quote Originally Posted by articulate View Post
    To be exact, I will start;
    In Chennai, and then on to Madurai, Bangalore, someplace near Jogfalls(to visit a friend), Mumbai, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi and then Delhi. There were more places, but we managed(me and my friend from Germany(she was overly excited at first and wanted to visit more places)) to cut down and reduce. Mid August to mid September.

    I'm still considering whether or not to bring my 24mm and although a telephoto would be useful, I just decided against it because of the weight. Old manual lenses are just too damned heavy. I'm also considering whether to air out my Praktica with it's smaller lenses.

    Also with regards to the slide film, 30-40 rolls is a little much imo. I doubt I'll be carrying that much, if any at all. Regardless of how colourful India is, my P&S can capture everything in unbridled over-saturated colours. I prefer to shoot B/W film. Personal choice I guess
    if u ain't carrying the backpack all the time, and if the backpack is primarily in the hotel, weight is slightly less an issue. u can bring the lens, leave it in hotel, and only bring necessary equipment on your daily outings. i'm also considering 180mm f/2, to replace my 80-200mm f/2.8. i'm thinking of that for distant portrait and to shoot close distance human subjects in dance performance. 80-200mm is good to handle distant landscape where i need to control the composition more, but it is just too heavy every trip i bring it.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    going on a trip to rajasthan in a month's time.. feeling pretty excited..
    hmm.. planning to bring these along

    Mamiya 645afd
    2 film backs
    80mm
    55mm
    35mm
    a PnS
    a light tripod
    thinking if i should bring a flash along.. hmmm.. bring everytime nvr use.. LOL

    Films:
    TriX and HP5
    portra 400vc, ektarcolor pro 160
    velvia 50 and fortia 50

    not sure what films should i bring more of, colour neg or slide or BnW? haha

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    447

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Quote Originally Posted by yamcake View Post
    not sure what films should i bring more of, colour neg or slide or BnW? haha
    For me, I'd bring more colour neg and slides, as everything in India is just crying out for COLOUR photos. Shooting B/W in India seems like a bit of a waste... But that's just my personal view

  11. #31

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    On a practical note - please remember to get a VISA before you arrive. Have fun!

  12. #32

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Quote Originally Posted by lcy View Post
    For me, I'd bring more colour neg and slides, as everything in India is just crying out for COLOUR photos. Shooting B/W in India seems like a bit of a waste... But that's just my personal view
    While that may hold true, I take it as a challenge to compose a B/W picture to be as compelling as it would be in colour. But of course I'm not dumping colour entirely, my P&S and iPhone will take care of that.

    And there is also a chance a lab will screw up your prints if you shoot negs, while slides are not as cheap as negs are.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    i read that foreign travellers are not suppose to carry and rupees in and out of the country. which means its illegal to exchange rupee in singapore and bring into India.

    can anyone verfiy this?

    http://www.indiamike.com/india/money...india-t113507/

    http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

  14. #34

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Hi
    You are carrying too much equipment, please carry
    1. Nikon 801
    2. 28-70 zoom
    3. One Tripod
    4. One Flash
    5. Light meter (being small)
    6. 85 mm lens
    7. At least 20 rolls of Slide film
    8. Black & White film

    and carry a waterproof bag, that is enough.

    Thanks
    alok

  15. #35
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Quote Originally Posted by yamcake View Post
    i read that foreign travellers are not suppose to carry and rupees in and out of the country. which means its illegal to exchange rupee in singapore and bring into India.

    can anyone verfiy this?

    http://www.indiamike.com/india/money...india-t113507/

    http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm
    did twice in 2007 and 2008. didn't know or come across this.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Quote Originally Posted by yamcake View Post
    i read that foreign travellers are not suppose to carry and rupees in and out of the country. which means its illegal to exchange rupee in singapore and bring into India.

    can anyone verfiy this?

    http://www.indiamike.com/india/money...india-t113507/

    http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm
    Can't verify if they have ever enforced it, but I have carried rupees into and out of india (Feb 2010) without any issues.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Need beginner's advice on trip to India

    Just came back from my trip..
    its full of ups and downs..

    missing the trains, and getting really sick... but of course really beautiful forts and palaces..

    hmm photographically theres some tips i can provide:

    1. travel really light, i realized i brought too much stuff. the hot weather didnt really work out for me.. it got me really tired after a while.... Best will be 1 camera 1 lens

    2. India is all about color.. and its really the film set kind of colour.. really interesting..

    3. People are very friendly for a photo, approach anyone for a photo, they will be very glad and excited to be shot by you.. Probably except for a few places. but most of the time, people will come up to u to ask you to take a photo of them

    4. If shooting film, 120mm is really RARE in india, u cannot find them anywhere except in Delhi, i found a "cathay photo" there, but its like 50% more expensive..

    5. For me i didnt have much security problem, streets are generally safe, but chaotic, so just exercise normal common sense on how u keep your stuff, its good enough..

    6. internet cafes aplenty, so file transfers into your hdd is no problem at all..

    7. place is pretty dusty.. so have a blower and cloth with u...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •