Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for tips and tricks to take great pics

Default Re: Looking for tips and tricks to take great pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wMaN View Post
    just wondering if taking landscrape picture (blue sky) with HDB flats / building around do u take the overall picture with them around or u will focus on only the sky
    overall. it's called composition. look ard the forum for samples, althou not much are of hdb flats but they are still buildings

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    Great pictures? Once you get the basics, shoot loads. Memory is cheap nowadays so you can afford to spam and bracket like some crazy. That's what i did when i first started out. You're bound to get more keepers if you shoot a lot. Review all your images once in a while, see what went wrong and what you could have done better.
    To each his own, I'd advice the opposite.
    Think before shooting. Think even before leaving the house or packing the gear. Instead of playing with statistics ("in 1000 shots there must be a keeper") I prefer to think what I want to achieve and how to achieve it. Analyze the conditions, anticipate what the conditions could be, plan and make up your mind before you start. If necessary, read up, google, check other pictures, ask here... During shoot: be your sharpest critic. If the picture is only so-so, press the trash bin icon on your camera. The beauty of digital media is not being able to 'gun down anyhow' any object but rather to review on spot and repeat to achieve a better result.
    EOS

The first time I went out to shoot with just a camera, I return with hundreds of shots. Practically all (cept' one or two) are plain crap. That's ok. Nowadays, I probably take between 30-40 shots for each weekly session. Even less consider that I take 2 or 3 shots with slight variations of the same scene and pick the best "just in case". Using a prime and a tripod really slows down the pace, allowing more time to think and look.

Go home, review the pictures and see where to improve, like composition, approach, timing, etc. Visualize how the improved scene will be like. Try again next time. I still find mine pretty crappy, but less crappy than before.

Borrow loads of photography books and see how the experts do it. Most important is to enjoy and have fun!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    The first time I went out to shoot with just a camera, I return with hundreds of shots. Practically all (cept' one or two) are plain crap. That's ok. Nowadays, I probably take between 30-40 shots for each weekly session. Even less consider that I take 2 or 3 shots with slight variations of the same scene and pick the best "just in case". Using a prime and a tripod really slows down the pace, allowing more time to think and look.

Go home, review the pictures and see where to improve, like composition, approach, timing, etc. Visualize how the improved scene will be like. Try again next time. I still find mine pretty crappy, but less crappy than before.

Borrow loads of photography books and see how the experts do it. Most important is to enjoy and have fun!
    Actually that is exactly what I went through as well. As I get better (I think, I hope), I actually shoot a lot less. There are situations that when I get on location, look at the sky, I will take like 2 shots and leave. I know memory is cheap, but when I see no point, I will not shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Talking about me?
    Yes but you put in bold the wrong part. Here.. lemme help.

"There are people in here whom I listen to carefully (to the point of stalking them ) and there are some whom I would gladly thank for their comments but take things in stride."

Btw I still haven't figured out how to properly shorten the length of a pics when I do perspective correction. If you doing the PP outing, pls demo, ok? I like the way you use the O of the S'pore Flyer to correct length though.
    Last edited by wildcat; 15th June 2010 at 12:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Yes but you put in bold the wrong part. Here.. lemme help.

"There are people in here whom I listen to carefully (to the point of stalking them ) and there are some whom I would gladly thank for their comments but take things in stride."

Btw I still haven't figured out how to properly shorten the length of a pics when I do perspective correction. If you doing the PP outing, pls demo, ok? I like the way you use the O of the S'pore Flyer to correct length though.
    oh ok.. no problem bro. It is a simple use of transform/scale tool.

Please don't stalk me too much though

But thanks for the confidence!

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Think before shooting. Think even before leaving the house or packing the gear. Instead of playing with statistics ("in 1000 shots there must be a keeper") I prefer to think what I want to achieve and how to achieve it. Analyze the conditions, anticipate what the conditions could be, plan and make up your mind before you start. If necessary, read up, google, check other pictures, ask here... During shoot: be your sharpest critic. If the picture is only so-so, press the trash bin icon on your camera. The beauty of digital media is not being able to 'gun down anyhow' any object but rather to review on spot and repeat to achieve a better result.
    i dont really hit the delete button on camera. I normally go home, import into lightroom, pp the ones i like and export, then delete the rest after export.
    My keeper rate has went up over time. To each his own
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    oh ok.. no problem bro. It is a simple use of transform/scale tool.

Please don't stalk me too much though

But thanks for the confidence!
    For some reason, the Transform tool is greyed out
    I wonder whether because of layers but I open a new jpeg without layers, it's still greyed out. Hmmm

Don't worry, you won't even know I am stalking you unless you start sneezing unstoppably. In which case, disclaimer first that it's not me who is saying bad things about you.

Just my favourite 3 pointers which I have not recited for a LONG time...

Read more (about all the points you need to understand, believe me there is a LOT)
    SHOOT more (keep shooting and practising and trying out the points you have read, keep experimenting)
    POST MORE (to get feedback and make sure you have a open mind about the critiques and pointers you receive)

Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

just wondering if taking landscrape picture (blue sky) with HDB flats / building around do u take the overall picture with them around or u will focus on only the sky
    Focus at "the overall picture".

Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    overall. it's called composition. look ard the forum for samples, althou not much are of hdb flats but they are still buildings

If you searched, there's no lack of examples. HDBs with blue sky.....

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I went to the library and read in a book that says,

"Photographers are not people who take photographs. They are the people who make photographs."

Quote Originally Posted by takafan View Post
    I went to the library and read in a book that says,
    Going to library and borrowing photography books to learn more is definitely good advise. Then after playing around already with what you learnt, got questions come back ask or go back library, borrow more books.

Knowing what you don't know is the first step to learning. I dunno who quoted it first but I just made that up

I regularly use Google Earth to assess the shooting location. Check out the orientation and know whether to go in the morning or afternoon.

If you need to shoot from an elevated position, you'll know which HDB block or multi-storey car park to shoot from.

Save you plenty of time and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    I regularly use Google Earth to assess the shooting location. Check out the orientation and know whether to go in the morning or afternoon.

If you need to shoot from an elevated position, you'll know which HDB block or multi-storey car park to shoot from.

Save you plenty of time and energy.
    Good idea. But I think Google Earth doesn't give me the 3D feel. So I still prefer to walk the ground, and see what I can make up on spot.
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    Good idea. But I think Google Earth doesn't give me the 3D feel. So I still prefer to walk the ground, and see what I can make up on spot.
    You can walk around virtually by:

1. Go to the location you want to explore

2. Click "View in Google Map" on the tool bar

2. Drag the "man" to the place you want to go

4. You'll be able to see picture of the surrounding; you can scroll around to explore the area

Wink Re: Looking for tips and tricks to take great pics

Thank you evryone , i feel welcomed !!!!!

Smile Re: Looking for tips and tricks to take great pics

I am more of a manual person , i shoot films .... my preference ... As for locations , I travel around singapore everyday coz i am a delivery driver .... All ur advice will be taken into consideration and yes , as for books , man , its been a while since I read an 'ACTUAL' book.... thank u alll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12