Thread: Dave Hill effect

Default Dave Hill effect

www.davehillphoto.com
    Is anybody here a fan of his photos? I'm amazed at the hyper real effect that his photos have. Has anybody here been able to recreate that effect? I tried in lightroom but wasn't very succesful...
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

Default Re: Dave Hill effect

I think this is one of the hardest pp tt can achieve...similar, maybe...but exactly close to it would be real hard
    Any designer who can help?
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

I read somewhere it's the camera he uses. No joke. He uses medium format with at least 18 strobes at any one time. Someone tried and was very close. So I guess equipment matters

Here's a link on how to create that effect by Dave Hill.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

all you need is just to do a simple Google search.......

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by lamergod View Post
    I read somewhere it's the camera he uses. No joke. He uses medium format with at least 18 strobes at any one time. Someone tried and was very close. So I guess equipment matters
    I heard about the multiple strobes...but I just can't figure out those out door shots...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    I'm amazed at the hyper real effect that his photos have.
    Hyper real effect Hyper, Hyper! .. SCNR
    EOS

to accomplish the effect, u need to understand how he lights his subjects to begin with. the photoshop part is only half the story.

Yea, i've heard about the lighting. Read somewhere that he has at least two strobes behind his main subject to prevent shadows. I tried the method posted on scott kelby's website but ended up with a funny photo and a lot a lot of noise
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

a feeble attempt
    Last edited by jopel; 14th June 2010 at 08:34 AM.

whoa yes, dave hill is king.

i think flipfreak is right, i read about that too and definitely lots of time spent he says on photoshop until he achieves the look he likes.

tried to copy but a total different feel completely

Dave hill effect and i found this link (here)

In one of the statement it indicates lights are used to create highlights for the photos. I guess we need a subject that is well lighted first before proceeding with the photoshop.

it's a composite.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty628 View Post
    Yea, i've heard about the lighting. Read somewhere that he has at least two strobes behind his main subject to prevent shadows. I tried the method posted on scott kelby's website but ended up with a funny photo and a lot a lot of noise
    he lights up the shoot with a lot of strobes and works mainly with a ring light from the camera to soften the shadows.

here's one of the latest post from abduzeedo.....(awesome website)

http://abduzeedo.com/photoshop-quick...ng-photography

I don't know what the deal with the whole Dave Hill craze among amateurs is. Yes it pops out at you but I feel it really works best for the style of work he does and not when slapped onto every single thing out there. Yes the lighting is one thing but the second thing is if you look closely, his photos are more composites and photoart than they are actual photographs. Take jopel or sethgoth's pictures for example, if Dave Hill had shot that, he would have shot every single element (person) separately and then composited them in post processing. That will give you the other characteristic people often miss out on in their high pass pursuit, that every single element in his pictures are in absolute focus.

I think his work is more of an illustration, beyond the realm of a real photo. There's an immense amount of photoshop to be done.

This reminds me about the air-brushed images/illustrations which were very popular many years ago.

alot of peeps here rely more on their photoshop skills than they can on their photography skills so........ way to go Dave!

I am still scratching my braincells out in figuring on how he does it.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgaFlippinMan View Post
    I don't know what the deal with the whole Dave Hill craze among amateurs is. Yes it pops out at you but I feel it really works best for the style of work he does and not when slapped onto every single thing out there. Yes the lighting is one thing but the second thing is if you look closely, his photos are more composites and photoart than they are actual photographs. Take jopel or sethgoth's pictures for example, if Dave Hill had shot that, he would have shot every single element (person) separately and then composited them in post processing. That will give you the other characteristic people often miss out on in their high pass pursuit, that every single element in his pictures are in absolute focus.
    haha that's what i tried to imitate and light-up every single person and then a composite pp. i think i failed then...