Thread: Recommendations for hotel in New York?

Default Recommendations for hotel in New York?

I would be in New York after a business trip but didn't know where to stay. Anyone have recommendatiosn for Manhatten midtown west/chelsea location that is less than S$200, near Metro and safe?

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    I would be in New York after a business trip but didn't know where to stay. Anyone have recommendatiosn for Manhatten midtown west/chelsea location that is less than S$200, near Metro and safe?
    Fat hope!

The cheapest is US$150++! Unless you decide to stay in a hostel or YMCA. Summer is coming up very soon and you will 1) have to pay a higher rate 2) book in advance.

NYC (more accurately, Manhattan) is one of the most expensive cities in the world. I can recommend you a few that you can look up, though. Where will your work be? Ie which street/avenue? I can sugguest them. There are over 2000 hotels, big and small in Mahattan you know... PM me...

Actually if you don't mind you can go for the hostels. I stayed there while on a conference trip. Not the best place but it's a great experience.

Thanks Watcher

Work is elsewhere and paid for will be going to New York just to shop and look-see. would prefer some place neat Penn Station or Theatre District. several years back had stayed previously at Times Square which was shiok but super expensive (close to $400 a night!!!).

now thinking of Chelsea Savoy - ~US$115/night. Tried priceline but $130 didn't get any response

i recommend you to priceline the hotels. you can get amazing deals if you play the game right. warning: time-consuming though.

Quote Originally Posted by deBakey
    Actually if you don't mind you can go for the hostels. I stayed there while on a conference trip. Not the best place but it's a great experience.
    Thanks. Where did you stay at? Would it be safe? cos I have a laptop and some expensive camera equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    i recommend you to priceline the hotels. you can get amazing deals if you play the game right. warning: time-consuming though.
    will try again after Chelsea Savoy responds Is it cheaper to do it in advance or closer to departure date? what I didn't like is that no choices are offered (right?).

As someone who has played the game... go to this biddingfortravel forum to look at the previous successful bid to gauge what you can bid for.

Bidding for travel

whether nearer departure or not, it's a matter of luck whether they release stocks. They get more desperate obviously as the time is nearer and you cannot take the risk as you need a place to stay.. it's all a matter of balance so you should get a decent offer early and accept it in your case.

try weekends on business hotels. people normally do not work in weekends. But NYC is definitely a hot place to go so hotels are generally pretty full and expensive. good luck.

Default comfort inn

Hi!
    I recommend Comfort Inn, which is west of Central Park, i think arnd 70-something street. It is very close to subway station (although the last train to tt station ends rather early)... The location is rather safe, price i paid was I think US$110 per nite which is really very reasonable considering it was during christmas hols. Room had a Queen bed and a single with built in bath.. rather small but still clean and well kept. Comes with breakfast.
    Also the guy managing it is a Malaysian so he actually gave me discount when he found out i'm singaporean hehe...

Hehe, I just came back last week from there...
    Depends on how comfortable u wanna get... I highly recommend Portland Square hotel; its location is excellent! Just 1/2 block (1-2 min walk) and you're right in the heart of Times Square/Broadway, with the TKTS booth in front of you
    Last time, I got the single room, shared bath for US$65 but the room is really small, but I'm fine with it... you can go for bigger room, private bath of course
    http://www.portlandsquarehotel.com/
    This trip, I went for the sister hotel, Herald Square hotel, which is like 3 blocks away from Penn Station... its also like 1-2 blocks away from ESB only
    http://www.heraldsquarehotel.com/
    Enjoy!

regards
    ..NuTs..

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza

Thanks guys for giving me so many choices