Thread: Need a quick opinion abt external flash

Default Need a quick opinion abt external flash

Hi guys,

Have enquired about SB24. Seem like nowhere is selling as they said it was an old model instead they have stocks for vivitar 285HV. But from the thread I searched, it seems that 285HV is inferior to SB24. Can anyone tell me really it is worth buying 285HV? I have checked also the Metz 32z1 no stock too. Btw, I hope can acquired an external flash, preferably with swivel one. Can any guru advises? I need to buy today... Thanks...

SB24 was launched more than 12 years ago and probably discontinued more than 10 years back.

When purchasing flash, there are a few parameters that one may look for. Guide number, TTL (e, i, d, or any other version of TTL) capability, Auto / manual setting, variable power setting, reliability, recycling time, Brand etc. though not necessarily in that order.

The preference also varies on usage. I don't know what you want to use it for. Swivel is a good feature but not essential. You can use a small ball + TTL cord to do the swivel for you. If you have enough time and can think, you can do away with TTL feature too.

My preference is on good guide number (so that I can use smaller apertures) and variable power setting so that I can adjust for my macro shots. I can do away with vary power too by using sheets of paper in front. Well life becomes difficult in such cases. Well flash photography is a pain in its own right.

Before planning purchase of a flash, first understand the situation that you are going to use it in. You can get an entirely different system at a totally different price range if you take this route. Specific models are immaterial.

If you require a flash for 'general use', get anything. It does not matter.

Depends on what camera and what functions you wanted.
    285HV does not support any form of TTL what so ever. It is basically a auto flash with some selectable aperture.

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the advices. Just got a 285HV for myself this afternoon and was astonished that the controls and functions are so complicated. Have read the manual and don't understand a thing but will probably figure in time to come.

By the way, I heard there's a blizzing sound always on. It is the charging sound? How come it's always on and it's very irritating to the ears.

would appreciate if anyone would provide a link for guideline usage of Hotshoe. Thanks...