Thread: Photographers: What makes a great picture? Embedded in Taliban territory

Arrow Photographers: What makes a great picture? Embedded in Taliban territory

Jun 4, 2010 16:02 EDT

One of the most challenging and exciting parts of my job is working with some of the toughest and best-trained men in the most dangerous and challenging spot in the world.

Last January, Reuters photographers received a group email asking for volunteers for an embed in Afghanistan “during the two most dangerous months of the year, May and June”. I did not think much before responding. I was on my way back to my home base in Greece after a two-year assignment in Israel.

Every afternoon, after returning from our patrol, I would eat with the guys, exchange jokes and then I would rush to my tent to edit and send my pictures. Most days I would finish late in the evening since I had several problems with my Bgan’s satellite internet connection. The soldiers would often give me their laptops and internet connection to send, by email, my images to our picture desk in Singapore.

http://blogs.reuters.com/photo/
    Last edited by xtemujin; 9th June 2010 at 09:29 AM.

Default Re: Photographers: What makes a great picture? Embedded in Taliban territory

Nice story. thanks!
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Default Re: Photographers: What makes a great picture? Embedded in Taliban territory

Good stuff! Guy must have been really fit to go on patrols day in day out with no rest in between!

Its really not easy ....
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

Excellent story
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.