Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taiwan - Taipei - Yilan - Hualien - Kenting

Default Taiwan - Taipei - Yilan - Hualien - Kenting

I am planning a 9D8N trip to taiwan. As far as i have decided, Taipei will be the mainstay. I plan to visit Yilan(whale watching), and Hualien(for the Taroko Gorge). Lastly will be Kenting, since the girlfriend absolutely insists on it(too many taiwanese dramas shot there).

I have chosen this order, travelling from North to South. However, i have excluded the Chiayi District with Alishan and Sun-moon lake.

Currently, i intend to stay 4 nights in Taipei, 2 in Hualien, and 2 in Kenting.

My humble questions are:

1. What do you think of my route?

2. Will it take up a lot of time travelling if i base myself in Taipei while visiting Yilan and Hualien? Is it better to shift to Hua Lien after 4 days, or stay in Taipei throughout while visiting those Yilan and Hualien?

3. The area of the map right in the centre of Taiwan(roughly between Chiayi and Hualien) - is it accessable, will i be able to add in Sun-moon lake and Alishan if i stick to my route, or will i need to travel along the east side down from Taipei to reach there? Will i be missing out on a lot if i don't visit these 2 attractions? How would you suggest i fit Alishan and Sun-moon lake in?

Your kind help is very, very much appreciated.
    Last edited by tootboink; 9th June 2010 at 02:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Taiwan - Taipei - Yilan - Hualien - Kenting

wait ar. i get my map out. cant remember where is where.

Blog Entries

ok i slwoly part by part analyse for u

TAIPEI:

first is taipei. when u say mainstay, how many days are u gonna allocate? i'll reckon at least 3 days. first day touch down rest at hotel. doubt u can walk around much. 2nd day on the other hand, u shld make a trip down to xi men ding night market. good for youths, as there are trendy and cheap stuff. 3rd day night will be ofcourse, taipei shilin night market. try out the food there, recommend the guan cai ban and oyster omelette.

mean while, make some time out to drop by to mirama entertainment part. it has a hellow kitty sky ferries wheel and its quite a niec place. like vivo city lar. dun expect low prices. depending on season, its good to buy clothes. summer u can get stuff u will wear in singapore normally. if december winter, u can get some nice warm jackets for u to wear at office.

drop by to taipei 101 also. since ur there, pay a small fee to go out and see a 360 view of taipei. i think once u finish this much + those museums which i totally avoid, i think its pretty much tats all. IF possible, find a place called 五角船板. serves tasty food with nice artistic ambience. price is also cheap and decent.

i'll reckon 4 days is overkill. travelling from taipei all the way to south part is madness. last time i rushed? 4 hours from kaoshuing to taipei on very very very high speed bus. dun risk it. 3 days shld be good enough
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 9th June 2010 at 10:55 PM.

Blog Entries

YILAN:

k as far as i remember? yilan farmstay was quite an eye opener. not so much for my family. most of them got motion sickness. me on the other hand sit back of lorry sit till butt also numb. used to it. my farmstay was up in mountains,dunno if u have the chance but u shld try out. go and pick the fruits. the farm name shld be yilan shangri-la farm or soemthing like that. there also got ur hot swimming pools. (GOSH i forgot wad the actualy name. its WEN CHUAN in chinese). good if ur freezing to death in winter. they got cool ones for summer too i think. quiet a nice experience. could rent the private rooms since ur with ur gf. hehe. i'll recommend private. u can also cook eggs with the water there i remember. good for u to try out.

as for the fruit one, its beside the shangri-la farm. u can pick a lot of fruits. i picked dragon fruits only cause i like those best. as for whale watching? not too sure abt that. never tried before yet. but pretty much i'll reckon u dun have many time. it would be rush through as travel times can be almost an hour or so from taipei to illan. so u may need 1 day to stop there to fully enjoy it

Blog Entries

next is hualien. personally i only been there once. as far as i know, the science center there is still fun. could take a look at the aborignal dances. but i didnt exactly like how the ppl there were selling forcefully pearls, ling zhi and lu tai fen. if u dun buy ur tour guide will face black black. so i tend to avoid. rather tip more than buy useless stuff.

hualien has a nanbin night market. not too sure abt it. gt ocean park. look sfun to me

hmm.2 day shld do the trick. realised ilan to hualien is accross mountainous regions. will take even longer. if u leave day 1 to hualien, possibly u will reach there at quite late in afternoon. pretty much nothing to do. use second day to rest and snap photos and also spend time at sightseeing.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 9th June 2010 at 11:07 PM.

Blog Entries

day 6 . i suggest u wanna stop over at tai dung. travelling from hualien across shld be mountainous regions again.
    taidong has a tai ma li village. no idea wad it is, but seems like got a lot of flowerfields. good for couples i would say. but prety much is nothing much liao tat place.

then rush through all the way. chiong down to ping dong, where ur kending is at
    kending road seems quite night place. good since tats wad u wanted. dun seem to have anything else there tat looks cool. could spend 2 days if u wish. so that leaves u 6 and 7 here.

Blog Entries

as for day 8, pls pls pls go to kaoshiung. which couple dun go there one? hahaha. liu he night market is the place to go for u at night! as for day time, travel to dragon tiger pagoda, near the spring summer pavillions. if ur a taoist/buddist, i'll recommend u to go to the temple right opposite it. its a guandi temple that my family makes a point to go there onec a year. i'm personally a non believer. so just go there. but its quite a nice place with a lot of culture and heritage.

and I strongly RECOMMEND U TO GO TO AI HE (love river). its located in the southern part of kaoshuing. take a boat ride with her and enjoy the sights. good for loving couples. i assure u this is the right place to bring ur gf to. and not some kending. i suggest u prepare some small sweet give on boat give her. wahahahaha

and day 9 ur flying off! kaoshuing has an airport so u can go home from there.

I visited Taiwan for the first time in January this year (15 days going anti-clockwise around Taiwan), and would like to share a couple of notes...

1) Before you go, visit the Taiwan Tourist Association office at 13th Floor(?) of UIC Building at Shenton Way, where you can get maps and tourist info, as well as museum vouchers, and a free transport "EZlink"-type of card for train rides (need to top up some cash on it). If you need places to stay or visit, they can help you call the relevant offices too.

2) From a photographer's viewpoint (which might be different from your girlfriend's), Sun Moon Lake, Alishan and Taroko Gorge are places where you will get a lot of awesome scenic shots. I had to skip Sun Moon Lake unfortunately, due to schedule clashes, but the other two locations were where I used my camera the most. Everywhere you look is photogenic!

3) Kenting is a lovely place, but can be cold and rainy (unpredictable). Summer is probably the best time to go there. The VERY strong winds could topple motorcyclists off the road (almost happened to us), and transform sands into torture weapons on the beach. In Kenting, I stayed at A-Fei Surf House (check out their reasonably-priced romantic guesthouses in their 2nd outlet) as well as the Uni-Resort (more expensive and hotel-like with swimming pool and onsen etc).

4) If you do pass through Kaohsiung, do visit the lovely tiny Cijin Island (can cycle around on rented bikes). Photo opportunities there too.

Will share more when I can think of it.

Blog Entries

with that i shall add on some general advice:

keep ur money seperated. try and spend ur bigger notes at more reliable places. 7-11 is ok. else at restaurants. avoid making urself conspicuous.

if u can speak hokkien, or min nan hua, good for u. use it to ur advantage and chat in that dialect. almost all tw ppl can speak min nan hua or sg hokkien.

abuse 7-11. tats one of the best places for quick bites. they always stock pile a sushi onigiri and the like. good for snacking. prices are reasonable unlike sg.

toilets: go whenever u can. once ur on a highway trip u pretty much will notstop anytime. u will die from having an elephant on ur bladder.

and also... do not litter. tw ppl generally are responsible for their own rubbish. when in tw, do wad tw ppl do. usually tour buses have trash bins. save ur rubbish and dump it there.

as for comments on ur trip? ur gonna go the scenic route thats wad i say. loads of mountain roads, make sure ur gf wont fall sick. get some motion sickness medicine, pandadol and loads of water. water is essential i assure u. not the fastest route cause travelling alone could take 2-3 hours each day. i usually go by the west cause there are highways which help me save time.

oh and if ur lucky to find a company along the lines of hua hua gong zhu that sells soft toys? help me buy one big one. i think less than 20 bucks. will pay u once u get back. shld be at kaoshuing the other night market that isnt liu he. ask around and u shld find. that one is good for cheap presents, with good quality soft toys ranging from 2-20 bucks

and with that, i responded to ur PM regarding on comments and help for ur tw trip have a good day
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 9th June 2010 at 11:21 PM.

Blog Entries

as for reply to ur part 4: i suggest u dun add alishan and sun moon lake. alishan itself will take half a day to get up and half a day down. a lot of time wasted perhaps. very rush one.

hey guys, sorry to gatecrash, just a quick question. i am planning a 2 weeks taiwan exploration trip next year... so may i know which month is more suitable to go? not too hot and not rainy?

allen - i cannot say enough how touched and grateful i am for the bloody long, thorough, sincere and informative reply you have given me. thank you very much

edric - thank you very much too.

Please keep information coming, for i have come to a standstill with my research and am rather undecisive.

Now, for the time being allow me first to read and ingest all that you have kindly provided me =)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    hey guys, sorry to gatecrash, just a quick question. i am planning a 2 weeks taiwan exploration trip next year... so may i know which month is more suitable to go? not too hot and not rainy?
    ah. depending on wad month ar. not too hot not too rainy? november. its quite nice at abt 20-25 degree celcius, seldom rains if u stick at taipei. kaoshiung will feel more like singapore though

I went to Taiwan last year, I just want to add, the other side of Taiwan is as great. So, do visit the other half too.

Taipei - Shopping (Xi Men Ding, Zhongxiao Fuxing, Taipei 101) Yang Ming Shan, Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall and National Museum.

Blog Entries

and to the TS, i got some newer updates on the seasonal fruits harvest. perhaps u may wanna consider

if ur going now u will get banannas, water melons, lychee, mangos, dragon fruit, tw pineapples, grapes, pears

if december, u get yang tao, ci zi and strawberries.

as for goodies and souviniers, keelong city in the north part of tw, can get their feng li shu, south part shld try mei nong (near kaoshiung) the noodles.

depending on hotels, i can recommend u a few.

kaoshiung, new continental hotel. i totally love that hotel. cheap, yet classy feel and very very well equipped. or else get riverview hotel. not so classy, not so well equipped. but quite a good place.

then taipei pick near the mrt one. i gotta dig out my old travel tickets to find out which ones i went. i remember got one hao jing fan dian (nt sure the name). located naer taipei's ximending. if u ever go ximending, find a shop that sells model toys. if can help me see if got the gundam 00 pg. the price shld be abt 200 sg bucks. sg sells for 500 LOL

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    ah. depending on wad month ar. not too hot not too rainy? november. its quite nice at abt 20-25 degree celcius, seldom rains if u stick at taipei. kaoshiung will feel more like singapore though
    thanks! sept not a good month to go right?

Blog Entries

thanks! sept not a good month to go right?
    sep will be autumn month. temp shld be only slightly lower. actually tw is like sg. just imagine, the hottest is summer where its just like sg. coolest is winter, but like sg rains a lot.

i'll reckon sep isnt the best. reason being: the winds are on shore, blowing across the ocean. bound to bring loads of moisture and rain. if want go in feb, march where is spring time. or november when its cooler. generally i'll reckon november - march a good time cause its winter/spring period

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    sep will be autumn month. temp shld be only slightly lower. actually tw is like sg. just imagine, the hottest is summer where its just like sg. coolest is winter, but like sg rains a lot.

i'll reckon sep isnt the best. reason being: the winds are on shore, blowing across the ocean. bound to bring loads of moisture and rain. if want go in feb, march where is spring time. or november when its cooler. generally i'll reckon november - march a good time cause its winter/spring period
    thanks! i am planning a long trip hence do not want the weather to hamper my journey haha.

Blog Entries

thanks! i am planning a long trip hence do not want the weather to hamper my journey haha.
    not worrying. december only taipei sometimes slight drizzle. november so far i had no problems

Some information to share on Taiwan weather

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/climate/taipei.htm

Personnally i prefer March and Nov.

Do watchout, Taiwan got typhoon season, from July to Sept time.
    :vhappy:EOS400D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast