Thread: Audio-Out wire crossing / near Laptop power cable creates hum in speakers

Default Audio-Out wire crossing / near Laptop power cable creates hum in speakers

Hi all,

I've been facing this issue and I understand that it's a characteristic as far as wires go. Criss-crossing two wires will produce some kind of interference and my speakers are giving off a hum when my macbook charger is plugged in. Unfortunately, both my audio-out port and the battery port are on the same side. Is there a workaround to this humming problem? I do want my macbook to be charging while I listen to music without any humming. Yes, the humming goes away once I plug out the charging wire.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Default Re: Audio-Out wire crossing / near Laptop power cable creates hum in speakers

Sounds like a electrical grounding issue. My mac does not suffer from such. Is it still under warranty? If it is, send it in.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Default Re: Audio-Out wire crossing / near Laptop power cable creates hum in speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Hi all,

I've been facing this issue and I understand that it's a characteristic as far as wires go. Criss-crossing two wires will produce some kind of interference and my speakers are giving off a hum when my macbook charger is plugged in. Unfortunately, both my audio-out port and the battery port are on the same side. Is there a workaround to this humming problem? I do want my macbook to be charging while I listen to music without any humming. Yes, the humming goes away once I plug out the charging wire.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    nothing much to do with wirecrossing perhaps. its the power supply that has ripples in its DC that affect it more
    pedantic.

criss crossing can indeed cause the problem if grounding and isolation is not proper.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    nothing much to do with wirecrossing perhaps. its the power supply that has ripples in its DC that affect it more
    It's quite easy to verify. Just leave the power supply nearby. If without plugging in it still hums then it is cross interference, and TS can try shielded audio cables. If it only hums after plugging in then there are ripples in the power supply output. In this case the TS might want to get the service center to check it up if it is still under warranty.