Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: lens cleaning at canon service centre

  1. #1

    Default lens cleaning at canon service centre

    hi
    i just found some dust particles in my lens
    just wanna know if any bros had went to csc to clean the lens, and how long it took?

    pls help

    all thanks!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    Do you mean ON your lens or IN your lens?
    Canon EOS 550D. 18-55mm. 50mm f/1.8 II.

  3. #3

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    in da lens bro..
    dunno how many times i blow it with the blower also cant get it out

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    Quote Originally Posted by shadlightsg View Post
    in da lens bro..
    dunno how many times i blow it with the blower also cant get it out
    I've never gone to the CSC to get my lens cleaned. I had fingerprints on my lens but I bought a Lenspen and managed to wipe the lens sparkling clean!
    Canon EOS 550D. 18-55mm. 50mm f/1.8 II.

  5. #5

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    hahah.a
    sianx leh..
    somemore just bought less than a month..
    hais..

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    Quote Originally Posted by shadlightsg View Post
    hahah.a
    sianx leh..
    somemore just bought less than a month..
    hais..
    haha I just bought my 1st DSLR too, 2 months ago.
    Canon EOS 550D. 18-55mm. 50mm f/1.8 II.

  7. #7
    Member YuccaTheFlower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hidden beneath the viewfinder
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    Is yours under warranty?
    And even if it is, i doubt its free

  8. #8

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    good for you la..
    what kinda photography are u in at the moment?

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    Quote Originally Posted by shadlightsg View Post
    i just found some dust particles in my lens
    just wanna know if any bros had went to csc to clean the lens, and how long it took?
    Even if they clean it for you .. you might go home and shoot happily and when you put your lens to rest in dry cabinet you fill find the next dust. What now? Screaming at CSC? Demanding cleaning every week? They will clean again .. and charge again
    Accept the dust, it doesn't affect the image unless it's forming dust mice. It will come and go with usage and nothing you can do about it.
    EOS

  10. #10

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    thanks for your advise bro.

    but since it's still under warranty.. i would get it clean this time.
    :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Even if they clean it for you .. you might go home and shoot happily and when you put your lens to rest in dry cabinet you fill find the next dust. What now? Screaming at CSC? Demanding cleaning every week? They will clean again .. and charge again
    Accept the dust, it doesn't affect the image unless it's forming dust mice. It will come and go with usage and nothing you can do about it.

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    Quote Originally Posted by shadlightsg View Post
    thanks for your advise bro.
    but since it's still under warranty.. i would get it clean this time.
    Dust is not a manufacturing defect or material fault. Only these things are covered by warranty. For a sensor they charge SGD 21.50 (iirc). Dismantling a lens takes much more time. Would be very surprised to see them cleaning a lens for free.
    Last edited by Octarine; 8th June 2010 at 09:20 PM.
    EOS

  12. #12

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    oh is it?

    then might not go liao lor..
    tot it was free since it's under warranty..

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Dust is not a manufacturing defect or material fault. Only these things are covered by warranty. For a sensor they charge SGD 21.50 (iirc). Dismantling a lens takes much more time. Would be very surprised to see them cleaning a lens for free.

  13. #13
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    Quote Originally Posted by shadlightsg View Post
    then might not go liao lor..
    tot it was free since it's under warranty..
    Please read the term and conditions of Canon warranty. Only this is valid, not what you might wish for.
    EOS

  14. #14

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    If it's just a slight bit of dust, I would leave it alone. Dust is everywhere and unless you live/shoot/store your lenses in a cleanroom environment, it's just going to come back and will still not affect your photos.

    Sometimes, opening up and disassembling a lens can lead to more problems.

    Cleaning of lenses, no matter how dirty, nor cleaning of cameras or sensors are covered under warranty.

  15. #15

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    wow
    thanks for both your enlightening.

    what i will do now.. is to take a picture and see if any specks appear on the photo.

    thaanks!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    If it's just a slight bit of dust, I would leave it alone. Dust is everywhere and unless you live/shoot/store your lenses in a cleanroom environment, it's just going to come back and will still not affect your photos.

    Sometimes, opening up and disassembling a lens can lead to more problems.

    Cleaning of lenses, no matter how dirty, nor cleaning of cameras or sensors are covered under warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Please read the term and conditions of Canon warranty. Only this is valid, not what you might wish for.

  16. #16
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    Quote Originally Posted by shadlightsg View Post
    what i will do now.. is to take a picture and see if any specks appear on the photo.
    Do this. Have a look at what people recommend when checking for sensor dust. You might want to follow this procedure as well. A normal snapshot of whatever is next to you will not be very helpful.
    EOS

  17. #17

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    not just any snapshot. take pictures at F11, F22 and higher because any dust will be pretty much visible in such settings.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  18. #18

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    should it be taken at any thing surrounding me? or just a plain background like white or black or?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    not just any snapshot. take pictures at F11, F22 and higher because any dust will be pretty much visible in such settings.

  19. #19

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    Any plain BG will do.

    BTW, I have not seen any photos of spots in photographs caused by actual dust on or inside a lense, taken with the lens in question. Is that even possible, physics wise?

  20. #20
    Member kaylan2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: lens cleaning at canon service centre

    As many fellow CSer already said, dust is every where and it is quite common to have some dusts inside your lens.

    As long as the dusts are visible on your shot, don't care too much. If visible then you have two options.... use the dust delete function of the camera (most of the newer cameras has it) or go for cleaning at CSC.

    If it is fungus then good luck
    1Ds II | EF 16-35L| EF 24-105L | EF 35f/2.0 | EF 50f/1.8 | EF 85f/1.8 | EF 100L |EF 70-300L| EX 550

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •