Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Newbie picture here! Please comment!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Cool Newbie picture here! Please comment!

    Hi! newbie here... here's a shot i took up from Bali... Plz comment on it... i really appreciate this!!! Thanx to all who do!!!
    If u can't see the pic, u can go to my gallery (With this one pic only first!) at: http://www.pbase.com/image/28054690 Thanx!!!

    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default

    Nice exposure.

    Just that you may want to put the silhouette a bit to the right or left, so that the entire sunset can be captured, instead of allowing the subject to cover it.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    Nice exposure.

    Just that you may want to put the silhouette a bit to the right or left, so that the entire sunset can be captured, instead of allowing the subject to cover it.
    ok... i'll try that next time... i actually took this photo quite late in the early morning... confusing but i think the sun was too bright that's y i had to block the sun... i dun fully remember but thanx for the advice... will help me a lot...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    ok... i'll try that next time... i actually took this photo quite late in the early morning... confusing but i think the sun was too bright that's y i had to block the sun... i dun fully remember but thanx for the advice... will help me a lot...
    Most welcome. If the sun is too bright, try stepping down your exposure compensation.

    Nice try though.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    Most welcome. If the sun is too bright, try stepping down your exposure compensation.

    Nice try though.
    ok... will put that on checklist... i was really trying to get them sunrise and sunset shots... i love those shots... just brings out a different feel to the whole environment... virgo, just some advice, how would u go through a sunset shot?
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Exclamation More pics!!!

    Managed to put up more pics!!! Comments plz!!! keep them flowing.. don't mind critisism... Thanx!!!











    U can click on the link to my gallery if u can't see the pics... (Like me for instance! )
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Anybody for more comments? I'd really like to learn from all u people here... the pics here are so good... like to learn how u guyz do this...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  8. #8

    Default

    yo...if you photos are not able to show itself up in the forum...try this...

    after uploading your photo to your site...rename the photo JPG extension to TXT eg: sunset.jpg > sunset.txt

    then after you link the photo from this forum...I hope this works.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Hi! newbie here...
    YOU LIAR!!! Took a look at your pics and you can't be a newbie.

    Anyway if you haven't gotten what the above means yet, nice shots.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Poon
    YOU LIAR!!! Took a look at your pics and you can't be a newbie.

    Anyway if you haven't gotten what the above means yet, nice shots.
    Honestly Poon, I am a newbie here... these are the few shots taken from about 4000 photos that i took from bali in 7 days... I'm new to photography, about 3 months experience so yea... well, thanks for ur comments, and i guess these were fluke shots... with a little photoshop it works!! i'll be posting more pics here and hope for more comments!! Anyways, if anybody would like to comment on this please do!!! Thx!!!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khairi
    yo...if you photos are not able to show itself up in the forum...try this...

    after uploading your photo to your site...rename the photo JPG extension to TXT eg: sunset.jpg > sunset.txt

    then after you link the photo from this forum...I hope this works.
    Thanks khairi for the advice.. will try it and hope it will work... Thanks again to all who have commented... Be trigger happy!!!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  12. #12

    Default

    Hi,

    Not in the capacity to give comments as I am newbie too. But I like your first pic.

    True that sometimes newbies can take good pictures also, it's all trial and error esp nowadays we have very good cameras that can auto-set most of the features.

    Think most important is that the photos must portray a kinda feeling that you want to show. Not just good scenery, nice exposure, good lighting etc.

    Just my views

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icer
    Hi,

    Not in the capacity to give comments as I am newbie too. But I like your first pic.

    True that sometimes newbies can take good pictures also, it's all trial and error esp nowadays we have very good cameras that can auto-set most of the features.

    Think most important is that the photos must portray a kinda feeling that you want to show. Not just good scenery, nice exposure, good lighting etc.

    Just my views
    i agree... its true as sometimes i may see a good shot and shoot it but when i look at it after... it doesn't seem to really appeal to me like the other picture... i guess from all of those pics it shows that I'm kinda isolated, or if I had the chance to, be in an isolated spot for a while... I guess that's how I am... I do agree with u completely...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Exclamation MORE Pictures!!!

    To all people at clubsnap, i have updated my gallery and please visit it at http://www.pbase.com/nickmak/bali_trip Sorry i can't put up the pictures here because i still have not been able to put them up... sorry for the inconveniece caused but thanks to those who comment on the pictures and thanks to those who have viewed them... anyway... THANK YOU!!!!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    The lone fisherman's very good.. you just need to tidy the cropping at the bottom alittle bit

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    The lone fisherman's very good.. you just need to tidy the cropping at the bottom alittle bit
    Will do sniperD... thx for the advice...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    The lone fisherman's very good.. you just need to tidy the cropping at the bottom alittle bit
    Yah I also like this...........

    But as the background is black, thought it might be good to add a white border so that the background can stand out.

    Yah, your pictures do shows a bit of yourself. A lone ranger that likes to portray individuals doing something in isolated. And they are all looking afar or fishing, or just in deep thoughts.

    Your pics lack the colours, vibrance and life. But it do simulates some thinking points which is good for us to reflect upon when we get too busy with our death sentence......life.....as u mentioned in your signature.


  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icer
    Yah I also like this...........

    But as the background is black, thought it might be good to add a white border so that the background can stand out.

    Yah, your pictures do shows a bit of yourself. A lone ranger that likes to portray individuals doing something in isolated. And they are all looking afar or fishing, or just in deep thoughts.

    Your pics lack the colours, vibrance and life. But it do simulates some thinking points which is good for us to reflect upon when we get too busy with our death sentence......life.....as u mentioned in your signature.

    Sure thx... I do need help getting the right balance of vibrance of colours... I seem to have this problem when it comes to colours... when i encounter a colourful scene, i take it... but then looking at it... it becomes too messy... all over the place... i still need to learn about colours and how to make them work effectively... thx for the advice though! its true looking at the picture... i dun seem to know where the picture ends... hehe... thx anyway!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Sure thx... I do need help getting the right balance of vibrance of colours... I seem to have this problem when it comes to colours... when i encounter a colourful scene, i take it... but then looking at it... it becomes too messy... all over the place... i still need to learn about colours and how to make them work effectively... thx for the advice though! its true looking at the picture... i dun seem to know where the picture ends... hehe... thx anyway!
    No lah, when I said lack of colours and vibrance, I dun mean the photography skills, I mean you seems to like to take those sunsets, shadows kinda pictures instead of flowers, trees, animals, etc. And I thought its just your own preference. You can stick to that and make that your signature, your style, no problem with that.

    As for me, it depends. Sometimes I also like to take your kind of photos, sometimes I like to take insects and flowers, depends on my mood. In no capacity to give advice also. I am newbie too. And might be better in my photoshop skills than my photograpic skills so can advise on those cropping, contrast, brightness, adding borders/effects/signature etc.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icer
    No lah, when I said lack of colours and vibrance, I dun mean the photography skills, I mean you seems to like to take those sunsets, shadows kinda pictures instead of flowers, trees, animals, etc. And I thought its just your own preference. You can stick to that and make that your signature, your style, no problem with that.

    As for me, it depends. Sometimes I also like to take your kind of photos, sometimes I like to take insects and flowers, depends on my mood. In no capacity to give advice also. I am newbie too. And might be better in my photoshop skills than my photograpic skills so can advise on those cropping, contrast, brightness, adding borders/effects/signature etc.
    oh ok... haha... i have a problem though... i'm better at landscape photography than other types (not gonna put them up... its really bad... hehe...) and also potraiture... that's all... i'd like to learn macro photography and would like to attend on of the SEEDs... problem is i'm in bangkok... thx for the advice too... please keep ur comments coming!!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •