Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

  1. #1

    Default Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    Hi, just want to ask how do you all tie your camera stap to your hand to reduce camera shake. I'm asking cause I've read and heard that one way to reduce camera shake to use the camera strap. Is there any technique, way to do this? can't seem to find past topic on this. mostly what i find in search is which camera strap to buy.....

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    I don't think camera strap helps...

  3. #3
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    its not the camera strap job to reduce handshake.

    there is however a method i saw on youtube not using camera strap but just a string and some tools. how it works is u step on this thing on the floor... then the string will act as a stabliser which is connected to the base plate of your camera. sorry if i did not describe well haha... i can't find the links on youtube already so can't show here.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    The neck strap have to go over the hand a few round and give enough tension inorder get the stabilise effect. But not everyone is comfortable to do so. And the result is not consistant as well...need a lot of practice.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    its not the camera strap job to reduce handshake.

    there is however a method i saw on youtube not using camera strap but just a string and some tools. how it works is u step on this thing on the floor... then the string will act as a stabliser which is connected to the base plate of your camera. sorry if i did not describe well haha... i can't find the links on youtube already so can't show here.
    you are taking about this...

    http://www.instructables.com/id/String-Tripod/
    http://boingboing.net/2008/02/01/how...-a-camera.html

    however i find it a bit tiring after sometime and less effective over a long period of time.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    If you have live view, you can push the camera away from you so that the strap is tight against the back of your neck. This will stabilise the camera.

    Adjust the length of your neck strap to achieve the most comfortable position.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    its like how u use ur rifle sling to stablize ur rifle.

    Coil the strap around ur hand and secure the camera in ur arm.
    the coil should be tight enough to prevent excessive arm movement.
    Nikon D90 | SB800 | N18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 | N50mm f/1.8 | T11-16mm f2.8

  8. #8

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    i see. Guess it's not much use to use the strap to achieve less camera shake then

  9. #9

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    Quote Originally Posted by KT1031 View Post
    its like how u use ur rifle sling to stablize ur rifle.

    Coil the strap around ur hand and secure the camera in ur arm.
    the coil should be tight enough to prevent excessive arm movement.
    ops didn't see your post. just randomly coil it? last time ns i only coil it around my arm so that the sling won't swing around.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    nothing beats having your camera slap on your face.

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    One of the good techniques for stability is this:



    I use it from time to time, it works. It works better with battery grip and/or bigger cameras like D300/700

  12. #12
    Member pasay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    actually, there IS one way of using the camera strap for stability. however, this only works when using liveview, and you might want to use this sparingly . it all works on how you get camera shake. hand-held camera shake only occurs because of the user (us) and how we're built (anatomy). we're made up of a lot of moving parts, so we try to eliminate those that most affect how we hand-hold the camera: wrist and elbow.

    first, loop the strap once around your forearm while holding your camera so your wrist doesn't move too much. keep it tight but not so much that you cut off circulation

    bring the camera up while flexing your arm so that the strap is dangling below your elbow. adjust the strap so that it is just touching the tricep side of your arm.

    extend your arm so that there is tension in the strap. this will create a tension-compression that will stabilize your arm. once extended, though, you can't use your camera's viewfinder, so switch on liveview and snap away.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    One of the good techniques for stability is this:



    I use it from time to time, it works. It works better with battery grip and/or bigger cameras like D300/700
    That's really nice! i can see why it would work better for bigger camera. tried it out and it does help. thanks!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    Quote Originally Posted by eternalSun View Post
    Hi, just want to ask how do you all tie your camera stap to your hand to reduce camera shake. I'm asking cause I've read and heard that one way to reduce camera shake to use the camera strap. Is there any technique, way to do this? can't seem to find past topic on this. mostly what i find in search is which camera strap to buy.....
    i think you could POSSIBLY make the camera strap so tight that you can plaster it onto your face and use your own body as support when shooting....... but i don't think it's advisable, or that it will help much.

    after all, you might end up with eyecap marks around your eye....

  15. #15

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    One of the good techniques for stability is this:



    I use it from time to time, it works. It works better with battery grip and/or bigger cameras like D300/700
    Thks for sharing. Very interesting info though this doesn't really work for me.

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Qn on stablizing camera using camera strap

    Quote Originally Posted by Treetrunk View Post
    Thks for sharing. Very interesting info though this doesn't really work for me.
    It works well if your master eye is your left eye.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •