Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens for beach area

Default Lens for beach area

Hi all,

Just bought my first DSLR Canon 500D Kit 1 (18-55) not long ago so i consider myself newbie.

Will be going to Maldives next week so hope all the master here can guide me which lens is best to shoot at beach area other then my kit lens?

Read from the forum here that 18-200mm lens is good too. Can i rent for sg? any shop to recommend? Thanks for all

Smile Re: Lens for beach area

The kit lense will be enuff. Additional accessory like cpl filter will be good also. Enjoying urself at the beach is more impt

Default Re: Lens for beach area

Keep your camera/lens away from the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by kimchi123 View Post
    Will be going to Maldives next week so hope all the master here can guide me which lens is best to shoot at beach area other then my kit lens?
    Read from the forum here that 18-200mm lens is good too. Can i rent for sg? any shop to recommend? Thanks for all
    It wouldn't help you much to recommend any lens because you don't seem to know how to use it. Get used to your camera, there is more to learn than how to mount a different lens. For beach I'd rather recommend straight away to get a CPL filter. Your kit lens is fully sufficient to produce good images (why would Canon put in a rubbish lens?) provided you know a few basics. Read your manual, read the newbies guides here, check the gallery section for landscape. Read up about composition. A good composition is more obvious than a high end lens.
    For renting lenses you can have a look in the Marketplace - Services offered. Have a good look through the entire forum. You will notice that many information are available if you just take your time and read.
    EOS

I would recommend using lenses which does not extend on focusing or zooming (Internal focusing and internal zoom? I'm not sure of the technical terms). Just in case sand gets onto your lens and you unknowingly starts to zoom....

It really depends on the type of photography you like from Landscape to walkabout to candids using UWA to standard zoom to Prime. I brought my 11-16mm, 50mm, 17-50mm, 18-105mm & 80-200mm on my last trip to Gold Coast and I shoot anything from sunrise, general landscapes, people, family shots, sunset, etc. The choice is yours

If you are just going with the kit or rent a 18-200mm, A few impt things to bring is a good CPL filter and/or a ND or GND filters & a solid tripod that can withstand the splashes of the waves. Don't worry too much abt the sands or salt water or whatever so long as you take reasonable care. Enjoy the moments
    Last edited by DrSpock; 8th June 2010 at 10:39 AM.
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

your kit lens will be suffice to take beautiful pictures depending whether or not you know how to use it. one word of precaution, should you bring more than one lenses, try not to change the lens near the beach or during windy situation. One grain of sand inside your cam body is the last thing you want from otherwise a enjoyable trip.

Blog Entries

kit lens. u need wide angle. 18mm * 1.6 is still decently wide. take multiple shots and stich as a panaroma if u need

bring 100-400mm to take nice bikini gals
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

Hi all,

Just bought my first DSLR Canon 500D Kit 1 (18-55) not long ago so i consider myself newbie.

As the same as the rest, i think you should bring your 18-55 if you only wanna bring one lens. You can also opt for a wide angle lens like 10-22 range from canon, sigman , tokina etc.... 18-200 is if you want to take peak shots of " bikini babes "

IF you happen to have an additional lens, please do not change your lens while you are at the beach.....

And if you are really new to your DSLR, please do not be afraid to use your potrait and landscape auto mode when you cant cope..... shoot first learn later.... so you at least have good and nice pictures when you look back.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself

Hi all,

Can go to CS advertising section. You can rent from them.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Deregistered

Hi all,

Rent cameras/lenses here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forum...aysprune=&f=54

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by futsal123 View Post
    The kit lense will be enuff. Additional accessory like cpl filter will be good also. Enjoying urself at the beach is more impt
    1-----lens

2 or more-----lenses

No such word as lense

your kit lens is enough.

however if you really want versatility then an 18-200 is a good choice as it covers a wide focal length without you having to change lenses often (especially dangerous at the beach, with sand, water and salt-spray just waiting to get into your sensor).

other accessories you might want to bring along, aside from the CPL that many already mentioned, is a cleaning kit with blower and lens cloth... just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    1-----lens

2 or more-----lenses

No such word as lense
    Bro at least he added the es to ensure that he meant more then one lens..

Don't like that lah....

Quote Originally Posted by conkeychua View Post
    IF you happen to have an additional lens, please do not change your lens while you are at the beach.....
    Why not? Always going back to hotel for changing lens? I have changed lenses at places that were more unsuitable according some believes here, nothing happened. Practicing helps.
    EOS

Your kit lens will do just fine. As what others have said, you can use a CPL, but it will be challenging using it on your kit lens as your filter ring rotates when focusing, so you'll have to familiarise yourself with how it works.

As to having a longer reach lens just for bikini gals, don't bother.. if you wanna take them, just go up to them and take up close! who knows, you might make a few new friends

Most importantly, have fun on your trip! Maldives.... ooh la la.. so jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by cookisnap View Post
    your kit lens will be suffice to take beautiful pictures depending whether or not you know how to use it. one word of precaution, should you bring more than one lenses, try not to change the lens near the beach or during windy situation. One grain of sand inside your cam body is the last thing you want from otherwise a enjoyable trip.
    Thanks brother for your good advise. I mainly want to take scenery and some portrait pic. Hope my kit lens help me in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Your kit lens will do just fine. As what others have said, you can use a CPL, but it will be challenging using it on your kit lens as your filter ring rotates when focusing, so you'll have to familiarise yourself with how it works.

As to having a longer reach lens just for bikini gals, don't bother.. if you wanna take them, just go up to them and take up close! who knows, you might make a few new friends

Most importantly, have fun on your trip! Maldives.... ooh la la.. so jealous.
    I wish i can go up to bikini girls and ask for pic but with wife around so better be good guy. hahha. By the way what is CPL???

there is no special lens for shooting at a beach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast