Thread: Worth to upgrade to iMac 21.5 / 27"?

Default Worth to upgrade to iMac 21.5 / 27"?

Hey fellas, just popping a question here in case my family ever wants to upgrade the computer.

We're all photographers here, and the main use for the computer would be for photo editing. Some video editing as well might come in, and quite a bit of gaming as well.

Right now I'm using a 13" Macbook non pro, and my 2005 DIY desktop just decided to die...

This was the specs:

AMD X2 3800+ Processor 2.0ghz dual core
    4x512mb DDR1 Ram
    Nvidia 7800GT 256mb
    480W PSU
    2 x 160gb Internal 3.5" Hard-drives
    1 x 640gb WD External 3.5" Powered Hard-drive
    Wired mouse, keyboard, speakers...

So the desktop is old tech, I know. I just wanna know how much faster will my programs run. I play old games - stuff like the old Source engine games. At best, COD4. However if I get a new computer, I might be buying myself some newer tech games such as Crysis and the like.

My other question is whether 27" might be too big?

And my last question would be... are these iMacs good for gaming, or should I really bother myself with building another PC for myself again?

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Default Re: Worth to upgrade to iMac 21.5 / 27"?

I run cod4/bad company 2 on my 2009 mac bk pro and 2008 imac no problem via boot camp on xp home.(which i use only for games)

i love the 27 inch though might be a bit big to sit in front and use, imagine 29 inch tv is already quite big to sit in front and watch.is there a price drop recently, i saw 27 inch price changes... Quite a tempting buy

Default Re: Worth to upgrade to iMac 21.5 / 27"?

Well I'm a student. I can buy the mac, get the free ipod touch and sell that...
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr