Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how much is K-x? Where to buy?

Default Re: how much is K-x? Where to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by leobox1 View Post
    cleon or anyone? can u pls advise again what is so bad about the lack of AF indication in the viewfinder. . am a little confused..
    It only means that there is no little red square when you see inside the viewfinder
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    How you know my name?

your nick la LOL

thanks to all the bros here.. i think i almost ready to go buy that K-x le lol i know i very naggy.. i really hope i wont regret the lack of AF indications in viewfinder... i got only budget to afford 1 buy.

@felix , can the bokeh effect be previewed before shoot?

@anyone? so what is the difference between 18-55 and 50 -200? how do i calculate the zoom?

your nick la LOL

thanks to all the bros here.. i think i almost ready to go buy that K-x le lol i know i very naggy.. i really hope i wont regret the lack of AF indications in viewfinder... i got only budget to afford 1 buy.

@anyone? so what is the difference between 18-55 and 50 -200? how do i calculate the zoom?
    You need to learn more about photography. Yes if you put the F-stop at 3.5 you can somewhat see it, but you can preview on the LCD to see if that is what you want.

For the best bokeh, the A50F1.2 is the best kekeke

What is there to calculate?

18-55mm is from 18mm to 55mm

50-200mm is from 50mm to 200mm

55-300mm is from 55mm to 300mm

Look thru the viewfinder to see the difference in focal lengths.

You do not calculate lens distance like PnS as we DO NOT do such things. Boy, you got a lot to learn about DSLRs, which are very different from PnSs.

I use a DA* 16-50mm F2.8 for good bokeh. Lens cost about $1.3K
    Last edited by felixcat8888; 6th June 2010 at 09:09 PM.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Deregistered

your nick la LOL

Ok congrats on your decision to get a K-x then.Getting it tomorrow?

your nick la LOL

i think u better read up more before u rush to buy... there are many very basic concepts u need to understand first or u either won't enjoy using your k-x, or u won't be able to get the most out of it.

here's some basics for bokeh

also, the max aperture of the k-x kit lens is F/3.5... its possible, but not the best for bokeh. as felix pointed out, the best is an F/1.2, which will burn a big big hole in your pocket. my personal favourite for bokeh is the FA 50mm f 1.4.

the lack of AF point in viewfinder won't be a problem. but expecting your equipment to perform when u do not understand HOW will be a serious problem.

ok roger that .. i am ok with Av Tv etc just not lens... ( was a manual mode powershot user )

ok boss ! read and done i need more info on lens any idea where can read? BTW will the K-x allow me to use the bokeh effect before i shoot?
    Just go to Pentax imaging site for lens line-up and search for the respective reviews/tests from there. DSLR default focusing screen don't really display the depth of field (Bokeh is the quality of blur resulting from a shallow depth of field, not an effect in itself)

Mount any lens (even the kit lens) and as long as the subject to background distance is sufficient, the shallow depth of field effect is visible. (I refuse to call it bokeh ) To preview the effect, take a sample pic first, review it and adjust accordingly. (Refer to newbie notes I linked to)

If you don't know about a missing feature, 90% chance it won't hinder your shooting. And this missing "function" ain't a handicap as delibitating as some other entry-level models, trust me...

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is a visual example of focal length from 15mm (fisheye) to 1200mm. It's a Canon site, but the idea is there. Take note that human field of view is about 35mm.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

thanks for the site !

from what i gathered, even if both lens are at the widest end,

one is 18MM , one is 50MM, the 50MM is already zoomed in liao le right?

because i read on internet .. to find out zoom, u divided tele end with wide end.

For example : 55 / 18 = 3X zoom , 200 / 50 = 4X zoom.

and hence 18 / 18 = No zoom. 50 / 50 = No zoom.

p/s the kit 2 50 - 200 mm is what F range ah?

thanks for the site !

from what i gathered, even if both lens are at the widest end,

one is 18MM , one is 50MM, the 50MM is already zoomed in liao le right?

because i read on internet .. to find out zoom, u divided tele end with wide end.

For example : 55 / 18 = 3X zoom , 200 / 50 = 4X zoom.

and hence 18 / 18 = No zoom. 50 / 50 = No zoom.

p/s the kit 2 50 - 200 mm is what F range ah?
    Like some pentaxian above have mentioned, range of zoom is only for PNS marketers to "fool" the consumer. Based on your calculation, does that mean that the 18-55 has not much difference in "zoom" as compared against 50-200 since the ratio compared is 3 against 4?

Since the price of the K-x kit 2 (18-55 & 50-200) is only $100+ more compared to the basic 18-55 kit, just get it and you will be able to tell the difference.

As for your other question, here's a link which will act as a rod for you to start fishing:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/
    Last edited by Brianskivvy; 6th June 2010 at 11:35 PM.
    Body - K-x, KX, ME
    Lens - DAL18-55, DAL55-300, DA 35 Ltd, M 50 F1.7, A 50 F1.7, Sigma 10-20

F4-5.6

pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/category-SMC-Pentax-DA-L-Zoom-Lenses.html

thanks gummy.. what is street candid? btw 200/50 = 4 x zoom. so this is the main difference compared to 55/18 = 3X zoom right?
    Zoom range is a useless marketing term that is made up for mass consumers who don't understand the basics. It says nothing about how much wide-angle or telephoto a lens gives. All these 3x and 4x zoom thing really have no useful meaning.

You need to read about about FOCAL LENGTH
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

It's ok to rush to buy one and try.
    If don't like, then sell it to someone else loh.
    It may take some time as it's not the most popular lens for most of the existing Pentax users...

the 50-200 is useful for subjects that sometimes may just be out of reach. You are paying to have the ability to reach out when you need to. For the 100+ its a darn good deal. Although I hardly use the 50-200, there were times when I was glad to be able to swap to it. Don't like can always sell and get others. =)

I AM IN THE FAMILY !!!!

can i ask noob qns?

1) why the LCD setting screen always go off so fast? i need to move a dial to make it come up... is there a setting to make the screen last longer?

2) when composing, i notice the shutter or iso or aperture often flashes.. whats that?

3) i cant seem to see the viewfinder indicators well.. a little blur.. is it my eyes too tired or too dark room.. or spoil?

4) is there an indicator that states that the current settings may be too shaky?

5) why is the flash indicator always blinking? xie xie

I AM IN THE FAMILY !!!!

can i ask noob qns?

1) why the LCD setting screen always go off so fast? i need to move a dial to make it come up... is there a setting to make the screen last longer?

2) when composing, i notice the shutter or iso or aperture often flashes.. whats that?

3) i cant seem to see the viewfinder indicators well.. a little blur.. is it my eyes too tired or too dark room.. or spoil?

4) is there an indicator that states that the current settings may be too shaky?

Yes you can ask.... but must also be prepared to be told to go READ THE MANUAL! 2 and 3 can definitely be answered by the manual, and my guess is 1 and 5 as well (I don't have the K-x, so I can't be sure about those).

Quick answer from what I know about Pentax DSLRs:
    2) The flashing number indicates that the camera cannot achieve what it thinks is the ideal exposure setting (ie. shutter speed, f-number or iso (whichever you've left in its control) is at the limit already, can't go any further to give you a good exposure).

3) Adjust the dioptre, push the black plastic tab at the top of the viewfinder around until things look good.

4) Most probably not.
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

I AM IN THE FAMILY !!!!

can i ask noob qns?

1) no k-x but i'm sure there is a setting to change the duration

2) if you take the photo does it come out over or underexposed? go read up on exposure, once you figure out what you're doing wrong with your exposure settings the numbers will stop flashing. we could help you out but you got to tell us which mode (Av, Tv, Sv, M, etc) you are in then we can point you in the right direction

3) diopter setting using the adjustment dial at the viewfinder, you might need to remove the rubber eyecup to access it. adjust till the numbers and the bracket lines are sharpest.

4,5) the flash indicator is telling you that shooting without flash will likely result in a blurry shot. if you know what you're doing (proper breathing and shooting technique, or you have a non-PTTL flash mounted, or on a tripod/monopod/beanbag, etc) just ignore it

the handshake icon indicates that shake reduction is in operation. shake reduction is activated when the shutter is half-pressed. don't take the photo till the icon lights in the viewfinder.

Deregistered

I AM IN THE FAMILY !!!!

can i ask noob qns?

Welcome to Pentax

what keywords should i use?? because i am new so i cant fully understand the prob with a lack of the points on the VF.
    google is smarter than you think.

just type k-x viewfinder af points

and that should do the trick, don't need some special jedi password, srsly.

please read up on basic photography.

sulhan's notes , if you BOTHER to read it will provide valuable insights to a lot of these questions you are asking, and will be asking.

i'm surprised that you are picking up a dslr without having any inkling of what you are doing!

sulhan's notes can be found here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

it doesn't really expound on focal length, so here's a good link, should you bother to read it, that would stop all these "zoom here zoom there" concepts:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4523295_use-...otography.html

suggest you go to the friendly national library, pull out your ic, find a good basic digital photography book.

dslr handbook by michael freeman was freely available in most branches the last i remember. if not, most books should answer a lot of these burning questions you have, in a clear manner.
    Last edited by night86mare; 8th June 2010 at 07:47 AM.

I AM IN THE FAMILY !!!!

can i ask noob qns?

since others have already kindly provided all the answers, i thought someone should be allowed to provide you with an answer that would help you much more in the long run:

no, it's not personal. RTFM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast