Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with Japan Itinerary

Default Need some help with Japan Itinerary

Hi guys, I ll be going to Japan somewhere in late june - early july. Came out with a rough itinerary, but just need some help to see if it's feasible

29th Jun
    - SQ to Narita
    30th Jun
    Narita - Tokyo - Osaka via Shinkansen. (Will reach Narita @ 7am or so)
    Umeda Shopping + Sky Garden and Hep
    1st Jul
    Osaka Castle - Osaka Aquarium - Namba (Will this be too rush?)
    2nd Jul
    Day trip to Miyajima followed by Hiroshima with dinner there
    3rd Jul
    Osaka - Kyoto
    Heian Shrine - Kiyomizu Temple - Gion area
    4th Jul
    Nara Day trip - Night @ either Naramuchi or Kyoto downtown (Which will be nicer for dinner/laze around)
    5th Jul
    Ginkakuji - Philospher's Walk - Imperial Palace(If i have the time) - Kinkakuji - Fushimi Inari
    (Is the order feasible, or is there a suggested way to change it)
    6th Jul
    Nishiki Market
    Kyoto - Mishima - Lake Kawaguchi
    7th Jul
    Kawaguchi - Tokyo
    Asakusa - Roppongi Hill(The building with observatory (My hotel is in Shibuya, so Roppongi is closeby)
    8th Jul & 9th Jul
    Disneyland & DisneySea (Will DisneySea take up 1 full day?)
    10th Jul
    Fish Market - Akihabara - Ginza
    11th Jul
    Shibuya - Harajuku - Meiji Shrine - Odaiba(Night)
    12th Jul
    Shinjuku - Flight Back

Default Re: Need some help with Japan Itinerary

for kyoto imperial palace visits, there are two palaces open to the public. both require you to pre-register with the imperial household agency, and must follow a guided tour at fixed timings. There are only 2 English guided tours per day at 10am and 2pm for kyoto imperial palace, while only one at 10am for the other.
    Come visit my blog

2 Palaces. Hmm I only saw one on my guidebooks. Have you been to the palace before, do you think it's worth going, seeing that it's a little bit out of the way from the rest of the attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by alexljy View Post
    2 Palaces. Hmm I only saw one on my guidebooks. Have you been to the palace before, do you think it's worth going, seeing that it's a little bit out of the way from the rest of the attractions.
    I have been to one, the Kyoto Imperial Palace (京都御所). It depends on your own interests actually. If you have interests in CHINESE Tang Dynasty architecture, yes, and the throne hall is the highlight.

The other palace is Sentō Imperial Palace (仙洞御所 Sentō-gosho) in Central Kyoto, which I didn't manage to visit. Sentō Imperial Palace only has one English guided tour which is at 10am.
    Come visit my blog

Some extra tips:

Yeah disneyland and disneysea should both take 1 day each. In my opinion, just DisneySea is enough. It's better than the old disneyland.

The fish market (Tsukiji) now only opens to visitors from 9am I think. And only limited number of ppl allowed to go to the maguro auction (100 ppl?).

Where are you staying? Hostelworld.com has list of cheap and good hostels. J-Hoppers in Osaka was really good. They have rooftop access.

I know lots of good ramen places as well all across Tokyo. PM me if you need the list lol.

u can ask to fly into Kansai, Osaka instead of Narita, Tokyo for your first day (open jaw).
    Like that you can save time and money.
    however that depends on the airticket which you bought

for disneyland and disneysea, depends on who you bringing there....
    with kids less than 7 -> go disneyland,
    with older kids or just girlfriend/wife -> go disneysea which i find more romantic than disneyland and there are more rides which are not suitable for younger kids

Quote Originally Posted by simpleliving View Post
    for disneyland and disneysea, depends on who you bringing there....
    with kids less than 7 -> go disneyland,
    with older kids or just girlfriend/wife -> go disneysea which i find more romantic than disneyland and there are more rides which are not suitable for younger kids
    are the rides at disneysea pregnant-women-friendly??

1st Jul
    Osaka Castle - Osaka Aquarium - Namba (Will this be too rush?)
    >> It won't be too rush. There's a nice sunset point beside the aquarium, if the timing is right, you should hang around till then.

6th Jul
    Nishiki Market
    Kyoto - Mishima - Lake Kawaguchi
    7th Jul
    Kawaguchi - Tokyo
    Asakusa - Roppongi Hill(The building with observatory (My hotel is in Shibuya, so Roppongi is closeby)
    >> Lake Kwaguchi is enchanting... personally I would prefer to spend more time there. Your schedule looks a bit tight. There are lots of walking and the buses run at irregular timing (bus schedules not quite reliable and buses start late end early) so you need to have buffer time for the unexpected.

Have fun on your trip!

as my previous tour experience, it will be best to arrange only 2 places for a day . and put the least want-to-go place as optional if time permits.
    reason is you have to factor in the time travel via train, walkings, staying in 1 place as its too nice to stay, eating lunch and dinner , wake up late etc etc.
    D3s, N24-70, N70-200 VR2, 85 1.4G, SB700, SB910

Quote Originally Posted by yujun View Post
    are the rides at disneysea pregnant-women-friendly??
    should be alright but there will be warning signs at those "dangerous" ride advising if it is suitable for pregnant ladies.
    the most thrilling rides in disneysea are "Journey to the Center of the Earth", "Indiana Jones" and "Raging Spirits" if I never remember wrongly.

Hotels etc have been booked, since my family has certain requirements, so I guess I ll stick to them.

For Kawaguchi, I think I ll spend nearly a day there, should reach @ 2pm or so, and depart from there the next day @ 10 or so. Is there more things to do around that area (minus the theme park).

Regarding Tsujiki, I read that 140 people are permitted everyday for their auction, was hoping to actually be part of that 140, just dun know if I ll get the chance

For Kawaguchi, I think I ll spend nearly a day there, should reach @ 2pm or so, and depart from there the next day @ 10 or so. Is there more things to do around that area (minus the theme park).

Regarding Tsujiki, I read that 140 people are permitted everyday for their auction, was hoping to actually be part of that 140, just dun know if I ll get the chance
    At Lake Kawaguchi, it's mainly walking and admiring Mt Fuji from different angles. There are water activities (like paddle boats), a ropeway (highly recommended) which takes you to a vantage point with great view of Mt Fuji and Kawaguchiko city. There are also museums and gardens if you have time to spare. Sunset by the lake isn't too bad with Mt Fuji as backdrop. On top of these, eat some hoto noodles and have a hot bath.

For Tsukiji, visitors are not allowed into the tuna auction area until after 9am. By then the auction should be mostly done. But fret not, there are many other interesting things to see in Tsukiji. Even if you don't make it into the 140, you'll still have fun just exploring and discovering the market.

Hotels etc have been booked, since my family has certain requirements, so I guess I ll stick to them.

i get to see mr fuji in the early morning
    so mayb the following day walk up very early to catch the lake and mr fuji
    thereafter, go up the hill on the first train, but u wont b able to get out from there by 10am tho...
    i stay from 9.30am till ard 12pm....

Post Re: Need some help with Japan Itinerary

i think can give Odaiba a miss
    In my opinion, really nothing much to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by sgdavid View Post
    i think can give Odaiba a miss
    In my opinion, really nothing much to shoot.
    Unless you like Rainbow Bridge and want to shoot Tokyo Tower and Rainbow Bridge in one shot

pray hard you have been good this year for Fuji san to appear I spend 3 days at Lake Kawaguchi and only saw it on the first day.

This is from the ropeway

This, from Odaiba

Sunset at Odaiba

Pardon the size, couldn't find a host that display the size I want
    Last edited by simonsng; 8th June 2010 at 01:19 AM.
    Bloggerfly - Migrated my Blog
    Bloggerfly Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eugene260880 View Post
    i get to see mr fuji in the early morning
    so mayb the following day walk up very early to catch the lake and mr fuji
    thereafter, go up the hill on the first train, but u wont b able to get out from there by 10am tho...
    i stay from 9.30am till ard 12pm....
    first bus at Kawaguchiko station is 9am, first bus down is either 10.40 or 11am
    Bloggerfly Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by simonsng View Post
    first bus at Kawaguchiko station is 9am, first bus down is either 10.40 or 11am
    This is up to Fuji 5 Station? or the top of the ropeway? Sorry abit confuse on this bus.

5th station, ropeway closes at 5.30 IIRC
    Bloggerfly Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast