Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding second camera to choose

Default Wedding second camera to choose

In Canon
    What camera can be a second camera in professional wedding shoot?
    Good ISO control.

My situation is ,
    actually is planning to buy 5dmarkII to shoot wedding in coming wedding
    but since I'm still young and new to wedding
    so maybe can lower my budget to buy a acceptable camera 1st ( in professional way )
    and can pump good lens and accessory
    Practise, practise, practise
    after some times still can use this body as my second cam

coz I'm changing my system from Nikon to Canon
    sry to ask this stupid question.

wanna hear some opinions , thx
    Last edited by KCYong; 6th June 2010 at 09:05 AM.
    如果照片沒了灵魂,就只值十分钱。

Default Re: Wedding second camera to choose

50D and 7D is the only 2 camera that is below 5D mk2.

if you don't mind seond hand. go with the 5D Mark 1

The 5D classic has been an amazing wedding photographer's tool. You should consider that too.

If you've any doubts about what the 5Dc can do, just go onto the Photography on the Net forum and get poisoned by the 5D admirers thread there.

i went to one of the wedding photography seminar organise by 36frames.

he shared that he prefers to use 1 cropped body and 1 FF body with lens attached, that way he need not change his lens on the job.

personally i think it's good to have same model for both bodies. mainly for the sake of cutting down workload during the post processing. It is very tedious to color correct for different cameras (model), even if they are manufactured by the same company.

Agreed with Ah K (Michael), get 2 5Dmk2 for your ease of workflow.

Edit : *But coming from experience, the use of 1 FF (D700) and 1 Crop (D90) works well for me, but i will 2 FF welcome anytime anyday*
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

ya
    my master also using both of 5dmrk2~~

the workflows depend on how the person play with it bah
    i think dont have an exact answer as well

so another question
    50d , 7d , 5dmrk1
    which one noise control is better ?

I think i will buy 5dmrk1 second hand
    I did research , as if the main advantage is only FF to produce better quality
    the rest is just normal
    any comments?
    如果照片沒了灵魂,就只值十分钱。

if you can afford a 5D mk 1 go for it. imo there's no significant difference between mk1 and mk2 apart from video function.

my advice is to use one FF and one crop. i would pair a wide angle 16-35 f2.8 or 17-40 f4.0 with the FF and a 135mm f2.0 or 85mm 1.4 / 1.8 with the crop.

Quote Originally Posted by KCYong View Post
    ya
    my master also using both of 5dmrk2~~

the workflows depend on how the person play with it bah
    i think dont have an exact answer as well

so another question
    50d , 7d , 5dmrk1
    which one noise control is better ?

I think i will buy 5dmrk1 second hand
    I did research , as if the main advantage is only FF to produce better quality
    the rest is just normal
    any comments?
    yep, workflow really depends on individual style. But experience tells me that i'd rather walk a couple steps forward or take a few steps back to capture a shot (don't take me more than 3 secs) than to sit down and color correct for all the shots which will surely take a longer time. which is why if possible i highly recommend shooting with the same body.

and although i am a little out of touch with the new cams coming out, i believe the 5Dmk1 still has a cleaner image (low noise) as compared to the 7D or 50D at the same ISO level(i may be wrong).

of course if you can afford it, 5D2 is probably still better as the main difference between 5D and 5D2 is that the latter can shoot at much higher ISO range. So it's better when dealing with low light situations, which is a common situation for wedding photography.

In Canon
    What camera can be a second camera in professional wedding shoot?
    Good ISO control.

My situation is ,
    actually is planning to buy 5dmarkII to shoot wedding in coming wedding
    but since I'm still young and new to wedding
    so maybe can lower my budget to buy a acceptable camera 1st ( in professional way )
    and can pump good lens and accessory
    Practise, practise, practise
    after some times still can use this body as my second cam

coz I'm changing my system from Nikon to Canon
    sry to ask this stupid question.

wanna hear some opinions , thx
    one thing I don't understand.... which is the ISO... you choose canon 5DmII over an equivalent nikon. Is the former one really have better "ISO control" over the latter one?

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    one thing I don't understand.... which is the ISO... you choose canon 5DmII over an equivalent nikon. Is the former one really have better "ISO control" over the latter one?
    The reason i change to Canon is not only the "ISO control" on that particular camera body,
    it's because more professional including my master using canon
    it'd be better and easier in the future
    eg. we can discuss the same question in our same canon system.

Secondly, canon is also good ya!
    so want to change it before I hav lots of equipments of Nikon's.
    如果照片沒了灵魂,就只值十分钱。

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_K View Post
    yep, workflow really depends on individual style. But experience tells me that i'd rather walk a couple steps forward or take a few steps back to capture a shot (don't take me more than 3 secs) than to sit down and color correct for all the shots which will surely take a longer time. which is why if possible i highly recommend shooting with the same body.

and although i am a little out of touch with the new cams coming out, i believe the 5Dmk1 still has a cleaner image (low noise) as compared to the 7D or 50D at the same ISO level(i may be wrong).

of course if you can afford it, 5D2 is probably still better as the main difference between 5D and 5D2 is that the latter can shoot at much higher ISO range. So it's better when dealing with low light situations, which is a common situation for wedding photography.

Appreciate with your comments bro thanks

ok,
    let's say using manual mode in the same setting , same lens (exclude ISO higher than 1600 or 3200 which is the limitation in 5dm1 and video function)
    any big differences between 5dm1 and 5dm2 in final picture ?

if the answer is NO , 5dm1 second hand is my choice! =)
    Last edited by KCYong; 8th June 2010 at 10:24 PM.
    如果照片沒了灵魂,就只值十分钱。

get the 1Ds mark2 or the 1D mark2. its cheaper than the 5Dmk2. reason for this cam body is most weddings recep are held at nite. being so, you have to consider low light situations. if your AF screw up, u ll loose the moment u wanna capture forever. its a make or break.

the 1D or 1Ds series has a superior AF system. its so good that even low contrast & low light situation wont slow it down. its jus super fast. ofcourse u ll need a USM to compliment. even better than the newer 5D mk2. yes, 5D mk2 has video, 3" lcd, 21 MP and digic4 etc etc but when u need it to step up, it may fail.

weddings can only be manipulated in a certain way by the photographer, sometimes u can stop the actions, ask the ppl to pose to capture your shots but most of the time u cant.

for noise, nikon wins hands down. this is cos they do not dare to raise their MP. lesser MP, lesser sound. so its a compromise. so its always jus 12MP. Not refering to the D3s or x with 20 over MP. its like canon g10 -12 or 14MP cant remember and the latter canon g11-10mp. its to bring down the noise level

on last saturday's wedding assignment, i used the 1ds mk2 and the 7d. it was in the british club at nite, outdoor & some indoor. 1ds mk2 was flawless and many more sharper shots than 7d.

do include fast lenses for wedding photography. prime is norm fastest but lack versatility. but the quality, a killer.

all the best dude.
    Last edited by AbsolutKev; 8th June 2010 at 10:34 PM.
    When the shooting gets tough, the tough gets shooting.

Appreciate with your comments bro thanks

ok,
    let's say using manual mode in the same setting , same lens (exclude ISO higher than 1600 or 3200 which is the limitation in 5dm1 and video function)
    any big differences between 5dm1 and 5dm2 in final picture ?

if the answer is NO , 5dm1 second hand is my choice! =)
    there are subtle differences. 5D2 has better auto-WB and prob very slightly better auto-focus lock-on etc. but in terms of noise level. 5D2 win hands down from anything above ISO800. The 5Dmk1 is definitely still a very usable camera. I love it so much that i still have one sitting in my bag as a 3rd backup camera. but having the 5D2 really allows me to shoot under super low light situations when before i had to complement with off-shoe or bounce flash. end of the day, it's how u like to shoot that will determine which camera you should go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_K View Post
    there are subtle differences. 5D2 has better auto-WB and prob very slightly better auto-focus lock-on etc. but in terms of noise level. 5D2 win hands down from anything above ISO800. The 5Dmk1 is definitely still a very usable camera. I love it so much that i still have one sitting in my bag as a 3rd backup camera. but having the 5D2 really allows me to shoot under super low light situations when before i had to complement with off-shoe or bounce flash. end of the day, it's how u like to shoot that will determine which camera you should go for.
    alot of pro n super pros use 5D mk2. actually anycam u use, if u can master it, u ll get good pics.

most of the time its the photographer rather than the camera. like Ah-K, superb photographer!
    When the shooting gets tough, the tough gets shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutKev View Post
    alot of pro n super pros use 5D mk2. actually anycam u use, if u can master it, u ll get good pics.

most of the time its the photographer rather than the camera. like Ah-K, superb photographer!
    still working hard. not really superb yet. you are just too kind.

but i agree with what u say, that as long as u can master it, most cameras should be able to do the trick.

nice to meet you =) you are very nice guys

back to question...
    i wish to have a good "second camera" in budget~~
    so.. ya?

you two really make me going to spend all my property u know??
    HAHAHA kidding

I'm still learning , steps by steps ya

or
    do u think i should save up my money to buy the better camera directly?
    如果照片沒了灵魂,就只值十分钱。

The reason i change to Canon is not only the "ISO control" on that particular camera body,
    it's because more professional including my master using canon
    it'd be better and easier in the future
    eg. we can discuss the same question in our same canon system.

Secondly, canon is also good ya!
    so want to change it before I hav lots of equipments of Nikon's.
    Looks like this is not really which better camera to choose. You have already decided to follow your master. Do whatever he do, use whatever he use....etc....

In this case, why still want to start this thread to ask this question when you have already make up your mind?

If it is for the benefit of Nikon user.... you are most welcome. Please PM me the list of Nikon stuff you are intending to sell. Thank you.

If someone did the right thing , why dont we follow it ?
    not only my master really..
    coz i want to concentrate on practising compostion , photography skills ~

and ya ,
    I'm not going to sell my Nikon until I get 2nd Canon body~
    so how?
    如果照片沒了灵魂,就只值十分钱。

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast