Thread: Dedication to job or pure foolishness?

Default Dedication to job or pure foolishness?

According to the headlines in today's Straits Times, the Japanese photojournalist Soichiro Koriyama who was kidnapped in Baghdad by the Iraqi rebels and then freed, had indicated that he would remain in Iraq. The 32 year old photojournalist said "Shooting pictures is my job", which incurred the wrath of many Japanese officials who laboured to negotiate for his release. Another of the captive, female volunteer worker Nahoko Takato has also indicated her wishes to stay in Iraq. The three Japanese were captured by Iraqi rebels a few weeks ago, who threatened to burn the hostages alive if Japan did not pull her troops out of Iraq.

What do you think of Koriyama's actions? Do you think he's fulfilling his dedication as a photojournalist or simply too foolish to realize the danger of the precarious situation he put himself into?

i think he is foolish and selfish,never spare a thought for his family members..
    IMO,u can take pix anywhere,not just Iraq.And u must be alive to do dat too..

Iraqi rebel: "shooting PJs is my job"

I agree with you that he is selfish - having regard to the feelings of his family members and the efforts of his countrymen to get him out of this mess.

BUT I don't agree with you that you can take pictures anywhere. Photojournalists go to where the action is. Robert Capa/James Nachtwey - war. Galen Powell - Himalayas. These were all dangerous shoots. But that's where the action was - unfortunately, for their loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    i think he is foolish and selfish,never spare a thought for his family members..
    IMO,u can take pix anywhere,not just Iraq.And u must be alive to do dat too..

I think he is old enough to take a decision.
    May be he just want to get famous.

What about the gov who said no intention of withdrawing the army when they were held hostages? Isn't the gov selfish at that time? In the first palce, if the gov don't send in the army, they won't be any hostage problem and they can perform something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-New
    What about the gov who said no intention of withdrawing the army when they were held hostages? Isn't the gov selfish at that time? In the first palce, if the gov don't send in the army, they won't be any hostage problem and they can perform something good for mankind.
    I don't believe that governments should ever negotiate with terrorists. If they negotiate, they are 'legitimatising' them, and setting a precedent for future terrorists. Terrorists will then control governments simply by kidnapping its citizens and then issuing threats and demands. And these people are there with their own free will despite government warnings to not go to Iraq.

And I strongly disagree with your last statement that if the government don't send in the army they wouldn't have any hostage problems. Lots of other countries with no soldiers in Iraq have had their citizens kidnapped. And I feel its even more selfish to adopt this sort of close 2 eyes and hope nothing happens to me attitude. The Japanese Self Defence Force is in Iraq to assist in reconstruction and security efforts. Would you rather the world just ignore Iraq and let it degenerate into lawlessness? I must stress that post-war efforts to set up a stable state is more important than you think. If the Americans have not done the same in Phillipines or Japan post War World 2, we would be seeing very different countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    According to the headlines in today's Straits Times, the Japanese photojournalist Soichiro Koriyama who was kidnapped in Baghdad by the Iraqi rebels and then freed, had indicated that he would remain in Iraq. The 32 year old photojournalist said "Shooting pictures is my job", which incurred the wrath of many Japanese officials who laboured to negotiate for his release. Another of the captive, female volunteer worker Nahoko Takato has also indicated her wishes to stay in Iraq. The three Japanese were captured by Iraqi rebels a few weeks ago, who threatened to burn the hostages alive if Japan did not pull her troops out of Iraq.

What do you think of Koriyama's actions? Do you think he's fulfilling his dedication as a photojournalist or simply too foolish to realize the danger of the precarious situation he put himself into?
    Acutally the life belong to him and he can choose to do anything he wants! Let it be..

wah he just like the <overtime> soichiro..very cool! =)

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    I don't believe that governments should ever negotiate with terrorists. If they negotiate, they are 'legitimatising' them, and setting a precedent for future terrorists.
    Except that these people are not terrorists. They are freedom fighters. The western-controlled media label them as terrorists so that their wholesale slaughter can be justified and hidden from view. There is no doubt in my book who is the aggressor in this conflict, and I fully support the Iraqi people in their quest to overthrow the American invaders.

You may note that this particlar bunch thought better of keeping the Japs and released them safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius
    Except that these people are not terrorists. They are freedom fighters. The western-controlled media label them as terrorists so that their wholesale slaughter can be justified and hidden from view. There is no doubt in my book who is the aggressor in this conflict, and I fully support the Iraqi people in their quest to overthrow the American invaders.

You may note that this particlar bunch thought better of keeping the Japs and released them safely.
    Freedom fighter might be too nice a name for pple who killed, maimed, mutilated, burnt and display the body of contractors who were not even from the army.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Freedom fighter might be too nice a name for pple who killed, maimed, mutilated, burnt and display the body of contractors who were not even from the army.
    Unfortunately what Western propaganda has failed to inform us is that these people are military contractors. I believe that the proper word for that is "mercenaries".

This image was taken directly from their website:

Does not look very civilian to me.

Please note that under the Geneva Convention, mercenaries are denied the same protection given to prisoners of war. It is perfectly legal to torture, burn, mutilate, and display publicly their remains.

A bit of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon

Agree. Freedom fighter is too nice a name for them.....er...the Americans included.......

Acutally the life belong to him and he can choose to do anything he wants! Let it be..
    I believe what irked the japanese goverment was that instead of giving a heartfelt thanks, the japanese photographer gave an attitude which indicated that he felt the government was wasting their time bringing him back to japan. They demanded a private chartered plane rather than in a military plane, which irritated the government even more.

I am sure that the japanese government spent lots of money underhand to release these "freedom fighters".I honestly didn't think they will release them based on no conditions.

Its regardless what profession this jap guy holds, but the lack of gratitude shown to his saviours.

It doesn't appear cool to me; it just appeared that he deserves to be caught a second time.
    Last edited by Stefen; 19th April 2004 at 04:38 PM.

Deregistered

I think it's foolish... results have proven, you slog like mad and put so much into your job, at the end of it you don't get appreicated and some bugger claims all the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist, so no point in quibbling over definitions when we view this situation differently.

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    The Japanese Self Defence Force is in Iraq to assist in reconstruction and security efforts. Would you rather the world just ignore Iraq and let it degenerate into lawlessness? I must stress that post-war efforts to set up a stable state is more important than you think. If the Americans have not done the same in Phillipines or Japan post War World 2, we would be seeing very different countries.
    Bear this in mind! Only the winner is always right! Do you think the U.S invaded Iraq just because of Sadam Hussein or to liberate the country? Or rather they plan to have greater influence in middle East region and most importantly to control the oil supply-> for economic reason?
    Do you think US is really that kind to help Phillipines and Japan and South East Asia after War World 2 ?? If not for the spread of communism, I think US will not bother with these places.

Last but not least, do you think Japan sending their troops is out of pity for Iraqi people? No! I can you the answer is no! It is more of political reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Bear this in mind! Only the winner is always right! Do you think the U.S invaded Iraq just because of Sadam Hussein or to liberate the country? Or rather they plan to have greater influence in middle East region and most importantly to control the oil supply-> for economic reason?
    Do you think US is really that kind to help Phillipines and Japan and South East Asia after War World 2 ?? If not for the spread of communism, I think US will not bother with these places.

Last but not least, do you think Japan sending their troops is out of pity for Iraqi people? No! I can you the answer is no! It is more of political reasons.
    I agree that the initial reasons for invasion is highly dubious and I personally feel that Bush is a idio*. However, my point is that given that they've already invaded, and given a choice between abandoning them to their own devices or putting in troops to aid in reconstruction and stabilising the region, I feel that the correct thing to do is to help reconstruction and stabilisation.

there is another thing to the orginal pose, its call passion, passion for what people do, that sometimes, money and other threats on the person do not work. They believe in what they do and so they set out to be best and love what they do.