Thread: Slow Sync Flash Problem

Default Slow Sync Flash Problem

When I tried to use flash 580Ex on my 50d, the subject that I intended to take becomes translucent/transparent when I set my shutter speed to 20s. Any idea how I am gg to solve this problem?
    Passion for Photography

Default Re: Slow Sync Flash Problem

Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    When I tried to use flash 580Ex on my 50d, the subject that I intended to take becomes translucent/transparent when I set my shutter speed to 20s. Any idea how I am gg to solve this problem?
    Err... 20s? You mean movement from your subject? Long exposure ah..

Maybe you can post a photo to show what you mean by translucent/transparent with the ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed info.

Would be best if you post a photo, but sounds like it's an inherent characteristic of your long exposure and a moving subject. For part of the exposure time, the subject blocks part of the background; for the remaining part of the exposure time, the subject is not there, so you see the background -- result is a transparent/translucent effect, good for fake ghost pix!

If you don't want the ghost effect, then your subject has to remain stationary for the duration of the exposure - so either shorten the exposure or ask your subject to stay still, depending on the effect you're after.

Examples / explanations:
    http://the-digital-photographer.blog...st-effect.html
    http://digitalphotographer.com.ph/fo...ad.php?t=23951

woah.... 20s? why so long?

If only for 2 or 3 seconds max, you can ask the subject to keep still.... but longer than that is pretty hard.

If it's front curtain, after the flash, cover lens with black card and ask the subject to scram....! Then remove the black card for the remainder of the exposure. But you have to factor in the time that the lens is covered by the black card, and extend the shutter opening appropriately.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Would be best if you post a photo, but sounds like it's an inherent characteristic of your long exposure and a moving subject. For part of the exposure time, the subject blocks part of the background; for the remaining part of the exposure time, the subject is not there, so you see the background -- result is a transparent/translucent effect, good for fake ghost pix!

If you don't want the ghost effect, then your subject has to remain stationary for the duration of the exposure - so either shorten the exposure or ask your subject to stay still, depending on the effect you're after.

Examples / explanations:
    http://the-digital-photographer.blog...st-effect.html
    http://digitalphotographer.com.ph/fo...ad.php?t=23951
    Yes. Long exposure and a moving subject. What really baffles me is that I thought flash will "freeze" the object but the translucent effect occurs. What causes the translucent effect? The reason for 20s is because I wanna fill flash my subject and at the same time expose the cityscape during the night.
    Passion for Photography

Yes. Long exposure and a moving subject. What really baffles me is that I thought flash will "freeze" the object but the translucent effect occurs. What causes the translucent effect? The reason for 20s is because I wanna fill flash my subject and at the same time expose the cityscape during the night.
    yes, flash will "freeze" your subject, but your subject still have to stay there thru out the whole exposure to block out city light behind him.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Why problem? You have found an easy way to create ghost images Have something similar from Changi Boardwalk, taking long expsoure pics after sunset. Suddenly a woman stepped into the frame, stayed 5s and went off again after noticing my camera. Nice ghost image of her Exposure time was also around 20-25sec.
    EOS

If the person was smiling in the shot, she has to smile for 20s.?? LOL...
    Passion for Photography