Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: harddisk crash, need advice on data recovery

Default harddisk crash, need advice on data recovery

hi guysmy harddisk crash and all my photos containing 200plus GB went with it...stupid of me not backing up my impt files and i know i will get lots of scolding for not doing it..i had send it to a shop nearby my hm who they are willing to recover all files for 100 bucks..buts its been to weeks and the technician said hes still trying to boot the cd or something like that.

im starting to get worried and wana ask if anyone knows if theres anywhere i can get help and wat is the acceptable rate for a file this big? should i wait longer for the technician to solve the problem or go somewhere where others could help?

its a really hard lesson for me to learn to backup files and its better to happen now den in future when i have more assignments coming, but i still want to recover my hard worked photos

will be gratefull to anyone who would be so kind to help. thanks
    Last edited by dennisthetiger; 4th June 2010 at 11:40 PM.
    Award winner of Singapore Young Photographer Award 2012
    dennisongphotography.com

Default Re: harddisk crash, need advice on data recovery

Boot the CD? What is that tech talking about?

Data recovery can be done a number of different ways but on a failed hard drive there is generally two paths to take.

1) They take your hard drive and connect it to a working computer they have in the shop then using special recovery software it tries its best to access the hard drive and pull raw data from it and build files out of what it can pull. This only works if the drive is at least somewhat functional and depending on how bad the drive is it can take hours to days to complete.

2) If the Hard drive is not functional (motor failure, heads failure) the hard drive needs to be physically dissasembled in a clean room and new parts replaced or the platters pulled and put into a different drive, then again using special software try to pull the data off the drive and rebuild what was there.

Based on the 100$ cost they are most likely trying #1, most places do not have a clean room or the parts for #2 and it is a whole lot more costly. I have no idea what he would be talking about booting off a CD for.
    Canon 5D mkii & 40D - 24-70 2.8 L - 50 1.8 II - 70-200 2.8 IS L - 580i & 580ii

Quote Originally Posted by dennisthetiger View Post
    hi guysmy harddisk crash and all my photos containing 200plus GB went with it...stupid of me not backing up my impt files and i know i will get lots of scolding for not doing it..i had send it to a shop nearby my hm who they are willing to recover all files for 100 bucks..buts its been to weeks and the technician said hes still trying to boot the cd or something like that.

im starting to get worried and wana ask if anyone knows if theres anywhere i can get help and wat is the acceptable rate for a file this big? should i wait longer for the technician to solve the problem or go somewhere where others could help?

its a really hard lesson for me to learn to backup files and its better to happen now den in future when i have more assignments coming, but i still want to recover my hard worked photos

I think you can get back from them. They using software to recover your harddisk. Recently, I also have a harddisk that crash out of sudden. Out of curiousity, I open it up and power up the drive. Then I realise the needle thing that read the data is not working anymore.

SO I suggest that you go to the expert that recover your data using hardware recovery solution. BUT I must tell you that it is very expensive!!!
    Last edited by vinlee; 4th June 2010 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinlee View Post
    I think you can get back from them. They using software to recover your harddisk. Recently, I also have a harddisk that crash out of sudden. Out of curiousity, I open it up and power up the drive. Then I realise the needle thing that read the data is not working anymore.

SO I suggest that you go to the expert that recover your data using hardware recovery solution. BUT I must tell you that it is very expensive!!!

gosh how much is your expensive? given that i had 200 plus GB of stuff in it, will it cost me thousands of dollars!!??
    dennisongphotography.com

gosh how much is your expensive? given that i had 200 plus GB of stuff in it, will it cost me thousands of dollars!!??

It might. The cost is more dependant on what they need to do to pull the data off the drive, not on how much data there is. If there was 10GB of data you needed or 750 GB of data you needed would likely make very little difference in the price, its all about getting the drive working again with minimal loss of what is currently on it.
    Canon 5D mkii & 40D - 24-70 2.8 L - 50 1.8 II - 70-200 2.8 IS L - 580i & 580ii

Not tried any of these recovery service, but at least you can get the guy to commit how many days he needs to recover the disk?

Was your disk just un-readable, or just have files that were corrupted/missing? Agree that recovering the HDD has nothing to do with a boot CD.

The "needle thing" inside the HDD is actually the reading heads. It's usually suspended millimeters above the disks to read them. Usually when we say the HDD "crashed" it's the head hitting the disk itself. That's why in the older days, we need to "park" the disk head before shutting down (powering off) the computer.

If the data (ie pictures) matters a lot to you, it's better to get a reputable shop to recover its contents.

check the price at
    www.ibas.com.sg

they did one for me 5 yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Not tried any of these recovery service, but at least you can get the guy to commit how many days he needs to recover the disk?

Was your disk just un-readable, or just have files that were corrupted/missing? Agree that recovering the HDD has nothing to do with a boot CD.

The "needle thing" inside the HDD is actually the reading heads. It's usually suspended millimeters above the disks to read them. Usually when we say the HDD "crashed" it's the head hitting the disk itself. That's why in the older days, we need to "park" the disk head before shutting down (powering off) the computer.

If the data (ie pictures) matters a lot to you, it's better to get a reputable shop to recover its contents.
    when i plug in the hdd, it ask me if i want to format the disk...sometimes i am able to access but cannot read the files...but the files are still there.
    dennisongphotography.com

ooops.! sorry IBAS Singapore changed their name to OnTrack Recovery

Hard Drive Recovery

use rescuepro or r-studio ..
    I'm just a photographer looking for my world~

If you have no clue don't touch the HDD any more, don't power up, don't connect to anything.
    Professional companies will charge according the amount of data recovered. 4 years back I got a 40GB laptop HDD recovered, 20GB usable data, cost about $1200.00.
    Yep, that's a steep price but I wouldn't want to give my HDD to any Sim Lim solderer of the back lane in 5th storey. They only know how to handle recovery software. If your HDD has either a mechanical issues or the controller is down then it needs professional help. Call a few recovery companies, talk to the technician. Bite the bullet and pay some money. You might not have the chance to let 4 different people do some trial and error at their kitchen tables.
    EOS

to recover 200over GB of data, will cost about two to three thousands over sin dollars, yes, it is very stupid not to backup since HD is so cheap nowadays.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

hey.. u can try this.. http://www.greenergy.com.sg/
    i used them b4.. 200 gb should be quite cheap.. i recovered abt 2 tb of data before.. and that is about 2k.. all the best.. cheers..

A few more lists for you to call for better price :

1. www.computerservice.com.sg +65 9863-7558
    2. www.OntrackDataRecovery.com.sg 1800 872 2599
    3. www.techdesignconsultancy.com +65 6405-5003

I believe the Read/Write Heads are gone, there is no way any software can recover when the heads are crashed.

when i plug in the hdd, it ask me if i want to format the disk...sometimes i am able to access but cannot read the files...but the files are still there.
    If it is a USB external HDD, have you tried it on another PC/Notebook?

Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    If it is a USB external HDD, have you tried it on another PC/Notebook?
    Best not to try to many times... especially not with Windows. If at all then use an operating system that understands the mount option 'read-only'.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Best not to try to many times... especially not with Windows. If at all then use an operating system that understands the mount option 'read-only'.
    Yeah, i agree with the best not to try too many times. Just asking as it could be a usb problem too.

Seagate has got data recovery services I guess.

You can call them for a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Will03 View Post
    hey.. u can try this.. http://www.greenergy.com.sg/
    i used them b4.. 200 gb should be quite cheap.. i recovered abt 2 tb of data before.. and that is about 2k.. all the best.. cheers..
    Hey will, did u bought the software frm them or did u send it to them for service? 2k for 2tb means it would be ard 200 for 200 gb? I'm just afraid that it hardware failure and that would pose a bigger problem
    Last edited by dennisthetiger; 6th June 2010 at 12:16 AM.
    dennisongphotography.com

If it's a hardware failure, it's definitely costly to recover. But if it's intermittent, take that "window" period that the HDD is readable to quickly recover the files.

All the best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast