Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 131

Thread: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

  1. #1

    Default What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    What would one consider as "cheating" in photography? Cheating is hard to define, so a simple definition is a deviation from what has been taken straight from the camera using just the camera lens and body, whether digital or film.

    (1) Cropping
    (2) Double or multiple exposure
    (3) Use of various filters - color, polarizer, ND, rainbow, etc
    (4) Photo editing using Photoshop, etc.
    (5) Stitching of photos to form pano, 360 degree views, etc
    (6) HDR photography using Photomatix, etc.

    Your views much appreciated.
    AYC
    Noblex, Horizon, Xpan

  2. #2

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    dead horse alert

  3. #3
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    dead horse alert
    stop whipping it

  4. #4
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by AYC Nee View Post
    What would one consider as "cheating" in photography? Cheating is hard to define, so a simple definition is a deviation from what has been taken straight from the camera using just the camera lens and body, whether digital or film.

    (1) Cropping
    (2) Double or multiple exposure
    (3) Use of various filters - color, polarizer, ND, rainbow, etc
    (4) Photo editing using Photoshop, etc.
    (5) Stitching of photos to form pano, 360 degree views, etc
    (6) HDR photography using Photomatix, etc.

    Your views much appreciated.
    By using a camera?
    Take the shot!

  5. #5

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Using another person's image as one's own -- that's cheating.

  6. #6
    Deregistered wongjunhao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    Using another person's image as one's own -- that's cheating.
    AGREE!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    Using another person's image as one's own -- that's cheating.
    2nd that...
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  8. #8
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    i do digital blending/DRI (which most i believe do) sometimes, this also consider cheating?
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  9. #9

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Use one of these lor, then no one will say you cheat.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_camera
    .

  10. #10
    Member mabmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Simei
    Posts
    720

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    I must be quite the cheat since i always pp my shots.
    Your pictures speaks for you, not your camera.

  11. #11

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by AYC Nee View Post
    What would one consider as "cheating" in photography? Cheating is hard to define, so a simple definition is a deviation from what has been taken straight from the camera using just the camera lens and body, whether digital or film.

    (1) Cropping
    (2) Double or multiple exposure
    (3) Use of various filters - color, polarizer, ND, rainbow, etc
    (4) Photo editing using Photoshop, etc.
    (5) Stitching of photos to form pano, 360 degree views, etc
    (6) HDR photography using Photomatix, etc.

    Your views much appreciated.
    claiming other people's photo as your own would definitely be cheating

    those you listed i would consider as enhancing, or at least attempting to enhance a photo.

  12. #12
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    dead horse alert
    What's a dead horse alert?

  13. #13
    Member ireallydontlikepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Second Last Stop of East Side
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    dead horse alert
    What is it? ...

    Cheating => When there is only 3 birds on the branch of a tree, you PS in another 1~2 birds???? Consider? There is a changed in the photo originality.

    There is no caterpillar on the leaf but u PS in 1 caterpillar biting the leaf with a hole?

    anyway .. sometimes i am 'enhancing' the photo, then i compare before and after, i feel i am cheating too .. .lol
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

  14. #14

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Dead horse alert ......

    'Flogging a dead horse'
    If someone is trying to convince people to do or feel something without any hope of succeeding, they're flogging a dead horse. This is used when someone is trying to raise interest in an issue that no-one supports anymore; beating a dead horse will not make it do any more work.


  15. #15
    Member ireallydontlikepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Second Last Stop of East Side
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Dead horse alert ......

    'Flogging a dead horse'
    If someone is trying to convince people to do or feel something without any hope of succeeding, they're flogging a dead horse. This is used when someone is trying to raise interest in an issue that no-one supports anymore; beating a dead horse will not make it do any more work.

    Implying this is a meaningless thread? ... *no offense ya*
    just confused.
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

  16. #16

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    nah this is not meaningless, its a perennial debate that always come up in all photography forums, magazines, books, etc. Whatever it takes to get the image in your head into reality, thats what it takes for me. Cheating would be stealing other ppl's images and passing off as your own (as mentioned above)

  17. #17
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    don't know anything but pretend know a lot of things,
    claim other people works as his/her

    are the most commonly known as cheating in photography
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  18. #18
    Member ireallydontlikepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Second Last Stop of East Side
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by alexblessed View Post
    nah this is not meaningless, its a perennial debate that always come up in all photography forums, magazines, books, etc. Whatever it takes to get the image in your head into reality, thats what it takes for me. Cheating would be stealing other ppl's images and passing off as your own (as mentioned above)
    i see ... thats great ..
    at least i am convince i am not cheating .. thats all for me. :>
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

  19. #19
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    use flash=cheating
    coz unnatural le...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  20. #20

    Default Re: What is considered "cheating" in photography?

    Close the thread lah.. DEAD horse..

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •