Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who are interested in Star Trails

Wai, just to prove to you that it is possible to get a startrail in Singapore, here's mine.

Quote Originally Posted by linse
    Wai, just to prove to you that it is possible to get a startrail in Singapore, here's mine.

Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by linse

what settings did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    what settings did you use?
    It's a synthesized 61 minutes exposure by stacking 122 F2.8 25 second exposures at 30 second intervals (noise reduction off) using a Coolpix 5000. It was shot at full wide angle using Auto WB and ISO100.

The software used was Image Stacker using the brighten mode.

Pixel Zap was used to remove the hot pixels.

wai, u happen to be VinSnr over at singastro?

http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=522

~MooEy~

so, now the question is can you capture star trials using film, since film can't be stacked?

slow film, widest aperture, long exposure times.

Quote Originally Posted by yeocolin
    so, now the question is can you capture star trials using film, since film can't be stacked?
    I used ISO 200 film for my shot...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius

This is a 100% crop from a star trails attempt last night. I live in Perth, so the skies are pretty clear. Camera settings were: ISO 100, F/22, 30 min exposure on a Canon 10D.

I was very unhappy with the amount of hot pixels even at this low ISO so I made a complaint in Fred Miranda. They suggested that if you stack images using a program like Image Stacker.

Anyone have more suggestions on how to do long exposure photography on a DSLR and avoid the noise?
    why would you want to set it to f22? u capture nothing except for the brightest stars in the sky, IMO kinda defeats the purpose of having a startrail shot.. u shd open up the aperture more..

under reasonably dark skies (mag 5, 6), ISO 100 F4 is good for an hour, F5.6 to F8's good for 2 hours or more, F11 to 22 is good for more than 5 hours. but that's for film. maybe u can do some experiments in your backyard if it's dark enough.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Default south celestial pole

south celestial pole
    Taken near Uluru (Ayer's Rock), Northern Territory, Australia
    Friday, 12th July 2002
    Minolta 505si
    28mm
    Fuji Superia 100
    f5.6
    Two-hour exposure starting at approx. 0015 hrs

Did this while on holiday during semester break in Australia. Couldn't pass up the chance of no clouds, no ambient light, no moonlight, no buildings blocking the horizon... Conditions were about as perfect as they could get.

Never tried since coming home. It's not impossible getting star trails here. Just have to have lots of perserverance and patience!

Default lunar eclipse

Anyone going to try to photograph the lunar eclipse early morning on 5th May?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12