Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3678910131833 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung EX-1 Review

Default Re: Samsung EX-1 Review

if price is right, yes. i still using canon g2 & sony 707.

i am concern with the noise and bloggy color i see on my monitor.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

here r some of mine.

iso 1600,

w miniature filter (in-camera editing)

w vignette filter ("")

--
    really starting to enjoy this camera, the tilt-swivel screen is for capturing candids and loving the filters so far
    It's all about the moments; and the moments in between. 8 Perpetual || Flickr

Any body know where can I get the lens-cap strap? Either I accidentally dropped it or they missed it out in the packaging...

One major complain: there's no separate battery charger and the cable is too short!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    One major complain: there's no separate battery charger and the cable is too short!
    hee hee...... ditto...... agree with u on both points........... i attached an USB extension wire to make it longer, but then the batt wont fully charge

ok in Taipei now, since Sunday..... here are a few grab shots to share..... nothing dramatic but i think the EX1 handled pretty OK

Last edited by ed9119; 23rd June 2010 at 08:00 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Last edited by ed9119; 22nd June 2010 at 10:45 PM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

ok did not bring a card reader with me but the power cord can be unplugged from socket head and re-plugged into my laptop's USB port

1. allowed me to read the image files direct from cam (have to go first to Tools (the last one) icon in Menu and set the cam to USB and turn On the PC Software )

2. allowed me to charge the camera off the laptop via the USB port
    Last edited by ed9119; 22nd June 2010 at 11:49 PM.
    Walkeast

I've been using this camera for only 3 days, but from a SLR/DSLR background for the past decade.. I'm thoroughly impressed by this camera, while of course carefully noting its obvious limitations.

Pros (just add-ons to what have already been said):
    Very good image quality, though it is obvious to my eye that it is not DSLR-quality.
    More than good enough for web and up to 6R prints for minimal loss in quality.
    Great lens.
    Colors are well-defined and come off as natural and pleasing, only needs minimal tweaking with software (i use Lightroom)
    The AMOLED swivel screen is GORGEOUS and extremely functional.
    The "smart" modes and "smart range" options are actually pretty darn smart.
    Doesn't need Samsung proprietary software with Mac nor PC! I just go straight to its DCIM folder and extract to my personal database

Cons:
    No BULB mode which I would've liked for night shots
    Highlights are often blown but they're not too bad
    Processing is just a tad slow but compared to the LX-3 and S90, this is very acceptable
    Popping up the flash does not automatically mean the flash will fire, still needs user input to activate the flash, which is kinda 'duh', but nothing I can't get used to since I rely on natural light as often as i can anyway
    Some functions have to be activated via the Zoom dial instead of the OK button as I found out with the Manual Focus function. Kinda weird design there but again a matter of getting used to
    Super short charging cable

-------------

There may be more cons than pros that I've mentioned but this is only adding on to what has already been said. I like this little thing very much and I see plenty of good results with it. I would've probably come to the same conclusion given a LX-3 or a S90 as I've played with both before too, so all in all...

It's just a tool of personal preference. It's what you do with it that matters.
    Last edited by Agent Shoots; 23rd June 2010 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post

What do u mean by noise and bloggy colour on your monitor? To see whether the photos are in good quality, you must use monitor or tv with good resolution and colour display. Sometimes it's your monitor/tv problem instead of the camera. Otherwise you also can print the photos out to compare but you need to pay money for the printing.

I just got my set yesterday and updated the firmware, but I do have a problem.
    some options in the menu (like Face Detection, EV) are grey and non-selectable, in P,A,S,M modes.
    it was fine after I updated the firmware last night.

EDIT: its fine after resetting.
    Last edited by Variodical; 23rd June 2010 at 02:11 PM.

I see the same too. Maybe my monitor is also spoilt.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by pshing View Post
    i just bought ex1, it is a nice cam. the white balance is amazingly accurate. still trying to get use the control.

but i have a problem here. does anyone know how to open the .srw file using photoshop cs4?

even after updating the raw converter, still cant open in cs4. any solution?
    any update on this problem? what editing software can open SRW?

any update on this problem? what editing software can open SRW?
    I think only the Samsung software can be used at the moment, and it sucks.. I wished CS4 or my Lightroom will be able to open it. I took some raw shots at night around iso 800 but the noise was scary.. i think the jpg built-in noise-reduction made my iso 800 jpgs look much better
    It's all about the moments; and the moments in between. 8 Perpetual || Flickr

Tried it out just now from a display set and took it out for a run this morning.

This is my personal opinion:

+ Feels good in the hands (good ergonomics)
    + Gets attention (depends on how you see it)
    + Sturdy camera (good build quality)

- Too heavy & bulky
    - Unconventional & complicated menus
    - Average image quality (throughout all ISOs)
    - High tendency to CA & colour clip.

C. I think this cam is good for those who don't want to spend too much on cameras. Given it's size, I would prefer a micro 4/3 equivalent like the GF-1 or EP-2. If I want a more pocket-able camera, I will be looking at LX3 or S90.

N. Lastest news: The average rolling prices for the cam is SGD 550 (surveyed).

Last edited by eyes; 24th June 2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

So far the review seem positive towards EX-1. But still as of now, no one really able to take same pic using Ex1 and Lx3. Side by side compare would be great :P

I could if I have the time as I have both the EX1 and D-Lux4 but to me, the optical quality of the zoom lens of the LX3 and D-Lux 4 is crap and cannot compare at all with the zoom lens of the EX1. Both the LX3 and D-Lux 4 depend on the built-in jpeg engine to correct for the optical flaws of their zoom lens. These flaws would not be corrected automatically if shot in Raw mode which means that unless the user wants to spend a lot of time post-processing and editing the raw converted jpeg images, the Raw mode would not produce images of quality equal to the in-camera jpeg images.

IC ... hope you can find the time to shoot with both Ex1 and lux4. Be looking forward for ur pic

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I could if I have the time as I have both the EX1 and D-Lux4 but to me, the optical quality of the zoom lens of the LX3 and D-Lux 4 is crap and cannot compare at all with the zoom lens of the EX1. Both the LX3 and D-Lux 4 depend on the built-in jpeg engine to correct for the optical flaws of their zoom lens. These flaws would not be corrected automatically if shot in Raw mode which means that unless the user wants to spend a lot of time post-processing and editing the raw converted jpeg images, the Raw mode would not produce images of quality equal to the in-camera jpeg images.

can taken similar shots of the room can without flash can? really hope to see side by side comparison.

Blog Entries

I was just TOO BUSY EATING in Taipei's night markets to be shooting seriously ..... most images shot between ISO 400 through 3200 ..... sorry , my laptop just too old and slow and I am a little too tired to dig into the EXIF files..... but the images should give you a fair idea of how the camera handles at higher ISO and in lower light conditions

No flash used

Handheld

Sharpening level set at -1

Saturation level set at -1

AWB

Not much post-processing (just too tired ) except slight Unsharp Mask (I had set the in-camera Sharpening setting to 'Low') and re-sizing down for web uploading purposes

below first 2 images I am sure shot at ISO 3200 ..... can survive being used in a newspaper environment but will not make it any further........ the other images pls check EXIF info on your own if you are curious.... sorry

Tried this shop's speciality...... beef noodles.......... poster says it takes 3 days and nights to prepare the stock and beef

lets just say the beef melted in my mouth ha ha ha

Last edited by ed9119; 25th June 2010 at 07:31 AM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Walkeast

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3678910131833 ... LastLast