Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345691429 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung EX-1 Review

Default Re: Samsung EX-1 Review

Help ! all these talk is really tempting me ! must stop the BBB virus

i had a look at tis cam @ the PC Show too.. retail at $699

Nice swivel lcd! Like the gark gey coloured one.. matches the blue lighted controls.. The guy selling also demonstrated a panorama sweep feature

i was at the samsung stall and the guy was gonna give me a special price if i were to go back and buy from him.. so the bros interested can trying pushing the price abit

the package comes with a 16GB / 1 extra batt / Camera case

Flash come at $50 discount

What i didnt like.. kinda fat body.. samsung is very new to the camera industry.. software navigation not tat good

Blog Entries

oh yes........ forgot to upload actual images of the cam ..... will upload these intro images on Pg1 of this thread as well in Post #1
    (lanyard is mine)

shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Like Korean LCDs, electrical appliances, electronics and cars, EX-1 has not just humbled the Japanese PnS in value but now in capabilities unequalled by many PnS from the land of the rising sun.

Kudos to the Korean again.

high iso is pretty good and usable. My fuji compact can't use at iso 800. guess the f1.8 lens helps alot. The colour noise on my fuji has much bigger speck...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by leowss View Post
    I think it's 699 - this is from a scanned pricelist.

http://www.bootstrike.com/itfairsg/p...chure-leaflet/
    It was at special price $499 like those LCD TV hourly special.

can only give for $619, cant force uncle to let go for $499...

went to cathay photo at marina square just now, they offered 580sgd

2x 8gb card
    1x extra original batt
    1x casing

then went over to pc show, told them cathays offer and the salesman let it go at the same price.

1x 16gb card
    1x extra original batt
    1x case

Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    can only give for $619, cant force uncle to let go for $499...
    I was at the PC Show 1st day abt 7pm trying out this cam where they were having the special price sales. The salesman whose attending to me keep urging me to get at $499. I was not very keen (cos tested out the dof not that great) & was thinkng the last day might be even cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by kengoh View Post
    I was at the PC Show 1st day abt 7pm trying out this cam where they were having the special price sales. The salesman whose attending to me keep urging me to get at $499. I was not very keen (cos tested out the dof not that great) & was thinkng the last day might be even cheaper.
    wow.. the special price is really worth it... i kept asking my gf if she wants one.. cos can take self portrait with the swivel lcd haha

I don't know if it's my monitor but do you folks see strong chromatic aberration, colour clippings (especially in the the red and magenta hues), strong handed noise reduction even at base ISO and weird colour profiling from the EX-1 (with unusual gross bias towards red / magenta and lackluster yellows and greens)?
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

$499?? MS Color@ $650 lor!!! today still got $499 or not???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    I don't know if it's my monitor but do you folks see strong chromatic aberration, colour clippings (especially in the the red and magenta hues), strong handed noise reduction even at base ISO and weird colour profiling from the EX-1 (with unusual gross bias towards red / magenta and lackluster yellows and greens)?
    I've been keeping my saturation level at '-1' and will most likely turn down the Sharpness level to '-1' too ....... more realistic

You can customize RGB levels too ..... but I have little experience in coming up with a profile that I like, so have left that alone

Did u already upgrade to the new firmware yet? Supposed to correct some of these issues

Samsung EX1 firmware upgrade Link
    Last edited by ed9119; 13th June 2010 at 05:58 PM.
    Walkeast

PC fair todae i asked. is $619. with some other free gifts.

Blog Entries

joined Kit's architecture sunrise shoot this morning ..... it was tough with only 3-4 hrs of sleep after that first World Cup game .... reminder to self not to get involved in post-game celebrations

Here are the snapshots:

Walkeast

Blog Entries

the articulating AMOLED screen was born for situations like this

Walkeast

Blog Entries

Resolving power of the lens was pretty good too.......... bro Nokkieg took this pic ... Saturation level was set at a whopping '+2' ..... but ignore that ..... check out the crops below
    Shot at long end of zoom range
    Not exactly scientific .... but you get the idea...

the big picture

100% bcrop

100% crop
    Last edited by ed9119; 13th June 2010 at 01:26 AM.
    Walkeast

this is a nice cam !

been lookin to replace my Ricoh R7 and just cant find a similar cam .. love the discreet plain black no brand look !

Maybe i should go down MS and take a look

went to pc show today. $499 price is lelong price. have to thick skin grab the piece of paper to get that price, only limited to 3 sets. i got that paper, only to realize free gift only the case, no 16gb card and extra battery. buy those things i believe back to $699 alr. very smart marketing gimmick!

so yes, $499 = camera + free case. that is at 2.30pm. let's see if they offer better at the end of the day.

Blog Entries

well..... who bought the cam? share your feedback both positive and negative please...

Other feedback

The AMOLED screen

In the shade, using the liveview screen to compose/shoot reviewing pics ... the AMOLED is superb .... almost clinical in its clarity

When shooting/reviewing images in the bright open, there is really no advantage vs regular LCD screens with liveview.... there is no difference... it's similarly difficult to see well.... HOWEVER with a tilt and swivel screen ... you can at least turn and twist that screen to an angle that *helps* to reduce this problem

-----------------------

That horizontal strip at bottom of screen

What I do NOT like is that opaque strip at bottom of the viewing screen where f-stop, EV +/- meter, AEL display, number of shots left, SD icon and battery level icon are located .... it is translucent/opaque .... and 'blocks' the bottom as far as composition goes.... wish they'd just put the info there as is without that strip...

The far-right VERTICAL display icons do not have this opaque/translucent strip...... the HORIZONTAL display icons should follow the same

You could choose display style to omit all that information and keep the screen clutter free ........ but I still need that info while shooting

--------------------------

Custom WB

Very vey easy to use and straightforward ....., aim it at what you like in the target area on the screen and set....all done... less than painless

Focus Lock and AEL at the same time with half-press of shutter

Thank you Samsung ... saves me the effort to seperately lock-in an exposure reading

Shooting during bright noon-time sunlight

During noon-time, cloudless sunny day situations (like these last couple of days with the naked blazing sun )... shooting out in the open is an occassional challenge in managing exposure given its lowest ISO is 80, max f6.7 , max -2EV , max 1/1500sec limits .... without being able to screw on filters like CPLs or NDs ... just avoid metering to expose for that fluffy white cloud

---------------------------

Powering Up the EX1

From Off to On and ready to shoot, the cam is a little slow at 4+ seconds

For fellas like myself who like to look out for situations and moments..... that extra couple of seconds saved when powering up is almost crucial.

I am not talented, I see opportunities and moments when its almost too late to raise the camera .... sometimes. I cant leave the cam turned on all day and drain the little battery. The camera needs to be turned off to conserve juice

How many times have we gone 'Aaarrgggghhhh!!!' when a gem of a moment comes ..... and goes ....

I've done my part... cam's in my hand, or around my neck.... settings all in place.... the camera has to do its part in responding quickly

Those extra 2-3 seconds is crucial for mere mortals like myself....... where we usually do not see a situation until its almost upon us or when it starts to unfold before us .... THEN.... speed in getting the cam ready to go is crucial .........

The admission and/or acceptance of the camera's slower start up is important.... knowing this fact.... those shooting with the EX1 will need to factor this in and have to be even more alert and anticipatory in looking for opportunities .... which in a way is also a good personal skill to hone.

(The AF is quick enoughthis is not an issue )

------------------------------

Ability to do post-processing in-camera

This is cool..... you can do fish-eye , sepia, etc etc AFTER shooting in-camera.... the KICKER is this.... camera will generate a NEW jpeg file with the effect applied .... leaving the original file untouched.

----------------------------

That battery charging cord is just too darned short

At a 'grand' whopping 45cm long .... this is sad ..... a 1m or 1.2m cord would have been appreciated (having saved on giving us an external battery charger already)

As above.......... I tried to make it longer by attaching a USB extension cord ...... everything fitted nicely..... BUT with this in place, the battery could not get a full charge ... this is extremely irritating for people like me with electrical outlets located near the floor ( I do assume everyone's home is laid out like this ?) .... I have to charge the battery with the camera on the darned floor.... and warn my family not to accidentally step on or kick the camera on the floor ... unless I install an extension power cord to my table-top.... or use a short stool or box to keep the cam off the ground

Dont know if I can charge the battery off my PC/Laptop's USB (the cord itself is plugged into the charging head that goes into the wall)... will advise if I get a chance to

I just plain dislike charging the battery in-camera..... I have to stay put as the spare gets charged ..... I used to be able to leave the room/home with camera in hand while the spare was left home charging. SLS sells an external charger for about $29 .... but Samsung should have packaged this with the rest of the things in the box... sigh...

-----------------------------

Value for Money ?

For the price , considering the features that this camera comes with .... and at such an early stage of launch its already selling below $600 retail and $499 at the PC Show .... this camera already sits in its own class .... no current offerings comes even close in value-for-money...... a TOTAL big bang for the buck.

Last edited by ed9119; 15th June 2010 at 01:16 PM.
    Walkeast

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345691429 ... LastLast