Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91417181920212429 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung EX-1 Review

Default Re: Samsung EX-1 Review

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    wow .... are these 100% crops ? the noise looks BAD compared to the night images I had posted a couple of days back

However, skies and other wide swathes of single colors displayed in jpg normally come out all jagged with stripes on most cameras once displayed beyond 600-800 pixels on the long side (personal observation)
    Are you refering to those you took from the suite... those are at iso100 isnt it?
    My pictures are noisy no doubt... might also be attributed to the air condition yesterday and maybe by pumping up the contrast a bit in my post processing the noise becoems more obvious. I will take some pictures to night to see what is the real issue.

I am on the newest firmware btw... which firmware are u on?

Blog Entries

I've uploaded the latest firmware too
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    wow .... are these 100% crops ? the noise looks BAD compared to the night images I had posted a couple of days back

However, skies and other wide swathes of single colors displayed in jpg normally come out all jagged with stripes on most cameras once displayed beyond 600-800 pixels on the long side (personal observation)

Sorry don't understand the part about 600-800 long side, do u mean resizing? If so how come my canon G2 and Sony 707(very old camera) don't have jagged problem after resize.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Shouldn keep the original size of photo for comparison instead of resize it. I don't have such jagged problem when taking shoots with EX1.

How come other ppl post the pic that was resize but does not have this issue? If don't resize, how to post in CS? CS can't accept full picture size?

Blog Entries

suspect that it is JPEG compression artefacts for that patchy/banding thingy .....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

i used photoshop.com to resize..... maybe because of that.....
    Let me go check it out when i get home.

Alright .. confirm ... the jagged line is due to resize using photoshop.com

ic ... its not a very good web base editing software.

hee...well.. i uploaded to the sever but lazy to upload again.... so just use their web base resize.. anyway they are still beta.

In any case ... i should be going for a evening shoot with the EX1.. this time with tripod... maybe tomorrow another morning sunrise shoot....
    But air condition not veri good recently .. seems to be quite misty ard the city area ...
    Last edited by Sol81; 10th July 2010 at 11:04 AM.

Dpreview just posted their EX1 review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungtl500/
    5D3|5D2| XE-1|R3A| flickr | shane.design.photo

The long waited review is here :
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungtl500/

Haha... Bro ShaneKua. You are fast.....

ah, looking at the ISO Sensitivity / Noise levels & Studio scene comparison (both lower & higher ISO) test photo it does reflect same result as the photos i had posted. image from EX1 is much softer than LX3 at ISO400 & 800, but LX3 has higher noise. the comparison for RAW also shows similar results as mine.

maybe dpreview forget to set EX1 parameters properly before doing this review.
    Last edited by denniskee; 10th July 2010 at 02:20 PM.

Yea it is slightly soft... even for the raw file. So it is not because other competitor use higher sharpening...
    Last edited by Sol81; 10th July 2010 at 02:59 PM.

imho, EX1 is not worthy of the title "LX3 Killer" (but thats just marketing strategy, dont be too concern about that lar, hahaha).

as a high end p&s, i want to do much pp when shooting in JPEG. when shooting in RAW for situation thats more tricky, be it due to lighting or high ISO noise, the distortion is unacceptable.

compare to a 2yrs old LX3, looking at the IQ from the dpreview its not even worthy for them to have spend 2yrs R&D & the AF (base on the hongkong site) selection function is also difficult to use, not HD video for a 2010 model is something i cant understand since it has become a unspoken standard for a high end p&s.

still nothing mentioned about the jagged edge problem that i had with the photo shot in Plaza Sing.

only worthy mention is the swival screen, not the AMOLED (has some has pointed out there is descripency with what monitor show)

like a stated at the start, this is just my personal views. i trust dpreview's photos, so, i dont need to ask EX1 owners for help to use their camera to compare to LX3 anymore. bye bye.
    Last edited by denniskee; 10th July 2010 at 03:08 PM.

what a review.... and also what a let down. Dpreview should not post snap shots photo. they are so expert should post good picture.

Full Res (RAW converted to Jpeg and sharpened using photoshop.
    http://www.wongjingwei.com/images/SAM_0222.jpg
    Took this today.. i find the output JPEG from the camera is not that good, but raw is great..
    The lens is generally softer, but i like it like that.

the lens, plenty of CA.. colours great..

U guys need to read the Dpreviewers description first… They noted their copy of the EX1 has a lens defect at the left bottom corner. The 100% crops are centered on this. If you shift the review crop area to somewhere in the middle you’ll find the EX1 gets sharper.
    5D3|5D2| XE-1|R3A| flickr | shane.design.photo

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91417181920212429 ... LastLast