Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 69101112131621 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung EX-1 Review

Default Re: Samsung EX-1 Review

OK I apologize for the mix up in the order of the images in my post on page 10. I have corrected and labeled the pictures so that confusion is eliminated. Again the vignetting in the fz35 picture corner is from a lens hood adapter which is from my fz20. I have stuck it onto the fz35 to hold my Cokin filter holder so that I can mount my polarizer and GND filters when shooting landscapes.

Hi guys,

I feel that the above photos comparison between LX3 and EX1 are not fair as the AWB of EX1 was not properly set. Anyway, whether LX3, G11, S90 or EX1, it's up to you guys. I've realised that every camera has its pros and cons and you have to understand it very well to get the best of it instead of putting the blame on the camera. There are many nice shots by EX1 posted on the internet. Just do a search and you will get some.
    After trying EX1 for two weeks, I found that the quality of photos are best when I shoot in Manual mode instead of Aperture Priority or Shutter Speed Priority. Manual mode give me a better control over the amount of lights been exposed.

Image settings for the photos below:
    1. Saturation: +1
    2. Sharpness: +1
    3. Contrast: 0

These photos are never edited after shooting. I always believe that post editing is not necessary if you manage to make the camera work for you.

many thanks to kilgtfish's contribution & effort. going by the fact FZ35 is a 18x zoom lens & a 1yr old product, i must say it is not bad compare to a latest release with a 3x zoom lens.

also, big thanks to peterpan1975 for bring down his LX3 & laptop last Saturday to contribute the comparison to CS community.

we have yet to see LX3 vs EX1 in a controlled environment which i have time again wish for. really really looking forward to seeing one.

anyway, i will just have to stick to my G2 for now.
    Last edited by denniskee; 28th June 2010 at 12:44 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    many thanks to kilgtfish's contribution & effort. going by the fact FZ35 is a 18x zoom lens & a 1yr old product, i must say it is not bad compare to a latest release.

we have yet to see LX3 vs EX1 in a controlled environment which i have time again wish for. really really looking forward to seeing one.
    I think we should spend the time to understand the camera deeply and improve our photography skill first instead of making comparisons here and there. In general they are very good cameras. Just depend on whether you are able to extract the best out of the cameras. If you can't, it's not wise to post wrong photos and information here to confuse other interested buyers. Just my personal opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    I think we should spend the time to understand the camera deeply and improve our photography skill first instead of making comparisons here and there. In general they are very good cameras. Just depend on whether you are able to extract the best out of the cameras. If you can't, it's not wise to post wrong photos and information here to confuse other interested buyers. Just my personal opinion anyway.
    in all fairness, i dont think wb will affect the image quality that much since the EX1's wb isnt "wrong" looking at the photos i posted. infact i should say it is more "correct" than the LX3.

since i tested the EX1 at the counter (btw i think i am the 1st customer of the day), i should think that the sales person will make the effort to make the setting best for taking test shots of the surrounding environment when the camera is set to auto since they are selling the camera. of cause i may be wrong, sale person may be not make that extra effort to show case the product they are selling.

it is sad to see all the common camera review site has yet to do any reviews with comparison.

while i do agree with ur statement, but this is a thread on EX1's review. the fact that most of us do look for reviews & comparison on the net before making a decision to buy a camera, i think it isnt wrong too. it is what i call making a well inform purchase.
    Last edited by denniskee; 28th June 2010 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    in all fairness, i dont think wb will affect the image quality that much since the EX1's wb isnt "wrong" looking at the photos i posted. infact i should say it is more "correct" than the LX3.

it is sad to see all the common camera review site has yet to do any reviews with comparison.

while i do agree with ur statement, but the fact that most of us do look for reviews & comparison on the net before making a decision to buy a camera, i think it isnt wrong too. it is what i call making a well inform purchase.
    I agree with both. It really is best to wait for a good review from websites that have good scientific methods. Even though I could not wait for other reviews other than Luminous Landscape, I purchased the camera anyway, and after a little testing, I considered returning the camera. But I reconsidered after I worked with the camera, and I discovered mistakes that I had made in operation. These forums are excellent sources for correcting those operational mistakes. So as much as it may irritate those who don't like this type of thread, it is helpful to a lot of people.

Default Opanda IExif 2.3

I noticed that Opanda IExif 2.3 which I use for reading exif of images does not read the EX1/TL500 file correctly or maybe the camera isn't encoding it into the exif file correctly. A photo which I took with image adjustments were contrast -1, sharpness +2, and saturation 0 was reported by Opanda as being contrast, sharpness, and saturation all set to normal.
    Maybe it's just my camera. Maybe others can check theirs to see.

http://unwire.hk/2010/05/20/ex1vslx3_indoortest/

The above link shows the comparison between LX3 and EX1 in details but it is in Chinese.

kentwong81, thanks for the heads up. good review there.

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    When you decided to buy the camera, what sort of benchmark did you set. There sure be some compare going on right? just as what you posted in BnS, it does not satisfied your need thus you upgrade to DSLR. But the moment you upgrade, you too consider what model and brand to buy and it comes again with a comparison.

This review is to show those who are interested in Ex1 what the pro and con. If i can accept the con, 100% sure will buy one. But if it can't fulfill the min standard, why do i need to buy it even its a new model.

Hi, just my thoughts... I've used the LX3, D-Lux 4 as well, but I must say I prefer the EX1. It has its shortcomings maybe. But value for money, think it is worth it. The EX1 may not give you the bokeh of other cameras but sometimes you just have to admit that these cameras are P&S. Personally, it's a good cam. Thought of selling mine but after playing with it more yesterday, I'm starting to like it more.

here's my share:

Quickfix, nice pictures Any setting that you did or simply just PnS?

Quote Originally Posted by Acidica View Post
    Quickfix, nice pictures Any setting that you did or simply just PnS?
    Thanks! I was just on A priority, macro mode. Pic 1 had the Vignette effect ON.
    No PP, just cropping.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by quickfix View Post
    Thanks! I was just on A priority, macro mode. Pic 1 had the Vignette effect ON.
    No PP, just cropping.

Cheers!
    Tt's a model? What is the scale for that?
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    Tt's a model? What is the scale for that?
    Yes bro, I think the Ferrari is 1:18... the Gullwing is a little smaller.
    Just thought of taking them out of their boxes and play.

Anyone tried tricky shots using EX1 before? Like fast motion, landscape at night, etc.
    I will post some once I have the opportunities to try.

From the JPG files, the corners are not really sharp.

The picture from the EX1 LCD screen looks better than what I get from my computer monitor. Colour from the computer monitor looks pretty dull. Probably will have to tweak the RAW files to bring out the colour.

Don't waste time comparing LX3 and EX1. They are all p&s quality. Use a Sony Nex or m43 cam and your image quality will improve by leaps!

How come nobody complain about the viewing angle of the AMOLED screen ha?
    The moment the screen is tilted, the display will have a bluish colour cast. The display has to be viewed straight on to see it properly. Even then,the screen image is a lot more saturated than the actual out-of-camera image captured. This meant that swivelling the screen is only for ease of composition and cannot be used to evaluate and correct for the white balance.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    The moment the screen is tilted, the display will have a bluish colour cast. The display has to be viewed straight on to see it properly. Even then,the screen image is a lot more saturated than the actual out-of-camera image captured. This meant that swivelling the screen is only for ease of composition and cannot be used to evaluate and correct for the white balance.
    Fortunately, I am not encountering that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    at least still better than LX3 no swival screen, have to attach a 3rd party swival mirror.

anyone experience the jagged edge issue on EX1? looks worst than what i thought initially or could it be the box's issue?
    Last edited by denniskee; 28th June 2010 at 01:01 PM.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 69101112131621 ... LastLast