Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 144

Thread: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

  1. #101
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    Thanks Alan. Got mine stabilised at about 41%
    i set my mine at 43%, i like the the number 3 (typical cantonese ).

    anyway just check like once a week or so to monitor it, if no change for a few checks should be ok.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

  2. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    i set my mine at 43%, i like the the number 3 (typical cantonese ).

    anyway just check like once a week or so to monitor it, if no change for a few checks should be ok.
    I might buy a second hygrometer to make sure that the humidity is what the first hygrometer says it is

  3. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    I might buy a second hygrometer to make sure that the humidity is what the first hygrometer says it is
    Safer to buy a 3rd one to check that the first 2 are correct

  4. #104
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Safer to buy a 3rd one to check that the first 2 are correct
    How about getting the 4th one to make sure the first 3 are correct? and take the average to minimize random error.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  5. #105
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    How about getting the 4th one to make sure the first 3 are correct? and take the average to minimize random error.
    Haha, I was just thinking what if there is a big difference between the first 2. Then I need to get a couple more to obtain the laws of large sample size.

  6. #106
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    Haha, I was just thinking what if there is a big difference between the first 2. Then I need to get a couple more to obtain the laws of large sample size.

    Haha..glad you figured out you need to get more to solve the problem...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  7. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    Haha, I was just thinking what if there is a big difference between the first 2. Then I need to get a couple more to obtain the laws of large sample size.
    Haha! Don't end up buying the dry cabi to keep hygrometers... =P
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  8. #108

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    a should have. protects your lens especially from developing mold and fungus

  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    Haha, I was just thinking what if there is a big difference between the first 2. Then I need to get a couple more to obtain the laws of large sample size.
    And you'll need a large sample size of dry cabinets too!

    TS, I think you need to consider:
    1. are you gonna expand on your current dslr gear?
    2. if you really really REALLY value your dslr gear?

    If yes to any of the above, then buy the dry cabinet, otherwise it might not be really worth it to spend so much (e.g. percentage of the cost of the filter + dry cabinet in terms of the total value of the 550D + cheap kit lens) just to protect the 550D + cheap kit lens. That's what I feel la. But then again, it means you'll be willing to grow some mushrooms on your gear after some time lol.

  10. #110

    Default

    Dry cab cannot save lah. Just get a 30L 1st. Better than regret in future when yr gears break down along the years and buying new piece of equipment cost much much more than the cabinet itset.

  11. #111

    Default

    I didn't read all the replies before me. But my advice for u is to buy a dry cabinet. For UV filters, u don't have to buy for cheap lenses. For any lenses above $500 then u consider having a filter that is at least pro1 digital grade. Fyi I don't have a filter for one of my $1000 lens.
    Last edited by sin77; 2nd December 2012 at 08:50 AM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  12. #112
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    "Soon to be overpopulated"
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    interesting...look like i need to add buying a dry cabinet into my camera spending list,
    on a side note, i don't know what to say when my friend tell me EM-5 is weather proof so don't need a dry box/cabinet.

  13. #113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstoe View Post
    interesting...look like i need to add buying a dry cabinet into my camera spending list,
    on a side note, i don't know what to say when my friend tell me EM-5 is weather proof so don't need a dry box/cabinet.
    Tell him it may be able to survive a rain, but that is no protection against fungus. Weather proof does not mean it is permanently sealed airtight and assembled in sterile, particle-free environments.
    Alpha

  14. #114
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    "Soon to be overpopulated"
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Tell him it may be able to survive a rain, but that is no protection against fungus. Weather proof does not mean it is permanently sealed airtight and assembled in sterile, particle-free environments.
    well, he is a stubborn guy who only accept the truth when is told by his other "friends", Internet or when the things happen.
    let leave that aside, i'm curios what is the fastest case for fugus to start appear on camera or lens in singapore weather?

  15. #115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstoe View Post

    well, he is a stubborn guy who only accept the truth when is told by his other "friends", Internet or when the things happen.
    let leave that aside, i'm curios what is the fastest case for fugus to start appear on camera or lens in singapore weather?
    Fastest I've heard of so far was 3 weeks
    Alpha

  16. #116
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    "Soon to be overpopulated"
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Fastest I've heard of so far was 3 weeks
    that was fast, i assume it depend on the room environment but I better go invest a dry cabinet soon also.
    thanks,

  17. #117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

    Fastest I've heard of so far was 3 weeks
    Woah! That's really fast!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  18. #118

    Default

    Hi Bro,

    Which brand would you all recommend for digital cabinets?

    I would sincerely like to get one but the are just so many brands in the market.

    Looking at probably at most a 40L only cabinet. With limited budget.

    Any recommendations?

  19. #119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pooh83 View Post
    Hi Bro,

    Which brand would you all recommend for digital cabinets?

    I would sincerely like to get one but the are just so many brands in the market.

    Looking at probably at most a 40L only cabinet. With limited budget.

    Any recommendations?
    I use digi-cabi
    Alpha

  20. #120

    Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I use digi-cabi
    I use Digi-Cabi too... Must support local brands, especially those tat still make their products in Singapore...

    Was initially deciding between a Chinese brand and Digi-Cabi, until I dropped by Digi-Cabi's factory in Tagore Lane and the boss (a very nice balding middle-aged man) brought me around and showed me how they assemble their goods.. Was immediately convinced of their quality and workmanship, somemore local brand...
    Minolta A|Sony E|Canon EF/S|Hasselblad V

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •