Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

Default Re: Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    No lar, air con not on 24/7 lar, the electrical bill will have outweight getting a dry cabinet
    All my MF gears are kept in the studio in a metal cabinet and the aircon is turn on when ever there is a shoot while my DSLR are kept at home in my cam bag and from time to time I move it into the bed roon where the aircon is on at night when we sleep. Touch wood, so far so good
    That's what i do as well. Except my stuff(or wats left of it) is always in my bedroom where there's aircon at night.

So far so good, no fungus on anything i own(or wats left of it)
    Last edited by qwerty628; 7th June 2010 at 06:24 PM.
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

Quote Originally Posted by wizz747 View Post

Is a dry cabinet REALLY necessary to store my DSLR and lens?
    To dry or not
    I think it is good insurance to get one to control the humidity of the area that stores your camera gear. It helps lower the risk of getting fungus growing on your lens. I just got my first dry cabinet after noticing two of my lenses 'kena' fungus.

Besides protecting your gear against high humidity, it also helps you to organise your equipment by keeping them in one area.

Filters for lenses
    Many people say that filters (UV or skylight) protect your lenses from accidental damage or scratches to the front element. There are some who say that UV filters degrade image quality because of the flare factor (See here). There are yet others who say that the probability of accidental damage is slim and does not outweigh loss of image quality provided you take due care in handling your gear (See here). It depends on your usage and carefulness.

It's good that you are doing your research by asking questions here. Also try googling for recommended answers to your queries. It's important that you rationally know what is the reason for you to put on filters and what are the trade-offs. It's foolish to accept a simple answer like "put filters la, they protect your lens, rather change one filter than whole lens right?" You have to know what are the good reasons to do it. If not, you may be just spreading more misinformation next time you become 'old bird' and some newbie ask you the same questions.
    Last edited by hori; 7th June 2010 at 06:46 PM.

Just something I wanna share with you:

I use two sets of UV filters for each of my glass for my 'photographic needs'.

One set is the really cheap shiny gray ones which I believe are made of just plain glass. I use this for street photography so I can introduce more flaring in my shots. Another set is the higher end Hoya Pro1D which I use for landscape and night shots where I don't want flares incorporated in the output. So far, it's doing the job.

For IQ degradation with UV on, I'm not really bothered (if there is) as I don't pixel-peep. Plus, I'm pretty much content with the sharpness of my outputs especially when using primes. But this I gotta tell you, my brother accidentally tripped on his tripod making it fall lens first towards a pile of rocks. Had it not been for the UV, he could've been recapitulating his budget for a new lens that day. Another is my cousin, hitting the nose of his long lens on a steel gate. Go figure what happened.

To sum it all up, I believe in the saying "You get what you pay for."; if you're too worried about IQ then go for really expensive ones. Cheap or not, just make sure you have one on the glass all the time. So it's up to you now. New filters or new lens?

(((It's just UV filters so what's the hoo-haa all about? Just do it and get it over with. It's not like you're gonna get abstract photos with them on.)))

Forget about the dry boxes. Unless you are VERY free, have a hygrometer and have time to monitor the humidity constantly.

The humidity can vary a great deal depending on the amount of sillica gel you place inside as well as the size of the box. And as mentioned PLENTY of times before, sillica gel is carcinogenic. You won't want to keep handling it.

Invest in a decent dry cabinet and save yourself all the hassle.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Forget about the dry boxes. Unless you are VERY free, have a hygrometer and have time to monitor the humidity constantly.

The humidity can vary a great deal depending on the amount of sillica gel you place inside as well as the size of the box. And as mentioned PLENTY of times before, sillica gel is carcinogenic. You won't want to keep handling it.

Invest in a decent dry cabinet and save yourself all the hassle.
    Carcinogenic only when being heated, right?

But to add, even if i were to use a good filter [hoya pro 1d, B&W] i would still take it off when doing long exposures and taking of scenery with tripod at night ...

Best for me would be just to get a lens hood, prevent flares and added protection
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    Carcinogenic only when being heated, right?
    actually in all forms and conditions... thus it's not a good idea to handle it.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I see. Thanks.

I thought only the older pink and blue ones were carcinogenic? The newer white ones aren't ?
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil3d View Post
    But to add, even if i were to use a good filter [hoya pro 1d, B&W] i would still take it off when doing long exposures and taking of scenery with tripod at night ...

Best for me would be just to get a lens hood, prevent flares and added protection

Yea. Or else you will get strange objects in your shots. What I do is take it off with the lens cap and just put it back on after I shoot. Of course, you can never go wrong with a lens hood.

I thought only the older pink and blue ones were carcinogenic? The newer white ones aren't ?
    white ones, then you can't tell whether it's still working or not....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

A dry cabinet is NOT a MUST for your DSLR and lens because you can choose to

1. keep them in an air-con environment
    2. migrate to a country with low humidity
    3. shoot only in clean room environment
    4. replace old lenses with new lenses every other year
    5. use your camera and lens continuously for 24/7
    6. use silica gel
    7. use fungicide
    8. enjoy the soft focus effect of fungus infected lenses
    9. (someone said) keep them in the fridge
    10. microwave you DSLR and lens periodically

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post

6. use silica gel
    7. use fungicide

LOL!

Oh I forgot to add

11. irradiate your equipment with UV rays OR expose lenses to sunight everyday

Yea, lens hood and lens cap are still a better protection

Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    To dry or not
    I think it is good insurance to get one to control the humidity of the area that stores your camera gear. It helps lower the risk of getting fungus growing on your lens. I just got my first dry cabinet after noticing two of my lenses 'kena' fungus.

Besides protecting your gear against high humidity, it also helps you to organise your equipment by keeping them in one area.

Filters for lenses
    Many people say that filters (UV or skylight) protect your lenses from accidental damage or scratches to the front element. There are some who say that UV filters degrade image quality because of the flare factor (See here). There are yet others who say that the probability of accidental damage is slim and does not outweigh loss of image quality provided you take due care in handling your gear (See here). It depends on your usage and carefulness.

It's good that you are doing your research by asking questions here. Also try googling for recommended answers to your queries. It's important that you rationally know what is the reason for you to put on filters and what are the trade-offs. It's foolish to accept a simple answer like "put filters la, they protect your lens, rather change one filter than whole lens right?" You have to know what are the good reasons to do it. If not, you may be just spreading more misinformation next time you become 'old bird' and some newbie ask you the same questions.
    Such a nice reply. Thanks for taking your time to reply man. I'll check out your links tomorrow. But it's decided already, I'm getting myself a dry cabinet. I don't want to risk almost $1500 worth of my savings because of a $130 dry cabinet. It doesn't make sense, especially in hot Singapore's weather. Also, I use my DSLR around once a week, sometimes once in 2 weeks. So it makes perfect sense to invest in one dry cabinet.

white ones, then you can't tell whether it's still working or not....
    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post

6. use silica gel
    7. use fungicide
    You made me lol big time man. Definitely getting a dry cabinet.
    Canon EOS 550D. 18-55mm. 50mm f/1.8 II.

Quote Originally Posted by wizz747 View Post
    Such a nice reply. Thanks for taking your time to reply man. I'll check out your links tomorrow. But it's decided already, I'm getting myself a dry cabinet. I don't want to risk almost $1500 worth of my savings because of a $130 dry cabinet. It doesn't make sense, especially in hot Singapore's weather. Also, I use my DSLR around once a week, sometimes once in 2 weeks. So it makes perfect sense to invest in one dry cabinet.
    You're welcome la. Good for you, I'm confident you'll feel safer with your dry cabinet. But like some of the forummers here say, frequency of usage also helps.

Besides the $130, you forget the electricity bill ah?

I assume you are buying a 30L one. Maybe consider a 50L one? It's about $38 more and has free delivery, from my own buying search.

Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Can imagine yourself using a frying pan trying to heat the silica gels... and use a stirer to make sure it is heated evenly.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hori View Post
    You're welcome la. Good for you, I'm confident you'll feel safer with your dry cabinet. But like some of the forummers here say, frequency of usage also helps.

Besides the $130, you forget the electricity bill ah?

I assume you are buying a 30L one. Maybe consider a 50L one? It's about $38 more and has free delivery, from my own buying search.
    You know the concept of 5watts? That is how much power a dry cab consumes. Do a calculation how much the electricity bill will be for a dry cab. Compare it to you using the microwave, drying out the silica gels, and the cost of the gels themselves. Microwave is like what, 1500W?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast