Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

  1. #1

    Default Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Can I keep my fungus lenes at dry cabinet and it"s saft to put it together with camera & others lenses? Will the fungus split and attack to others lenses and my camera?Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat2004 View Post
    Can I keep my fungus lenes at dry cabinet and it"s saft to put it together with camera & others lenses? Will the fungus split and attack to others lenses and my camera?Thanks.
    Think we have a similar discussion on this some days back.. Will separate if i will you.. rationale is u wun know whether will it spread.. to be prudent..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat2004 View Post
    Can I keep my fungus lenes at dry cabinet and it"s saft to put it together with camera & others lenses? Will the fungus split and attack to others lenses and my camera?Thanks.
    Why did you get a dry cab in the first place? To prevent fungus growth rite?

    So if the lens already has fungus, why bother putting it in the dry cab? A better suggestion is to bring it to a repair place to get it cleaned out.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Any bro can advice if it is advisable to send a fungus infected lens for cleaning??

    Is it worth it??? Does anyone know how much it would cost and will it solve the problem once and for all??

    I have an EF 28-105 with Fungus, and I wondering if I should send it for cleaning???? It is still pretty in good condition, and other than the fungus, it has served me through the years and have sentimental value too.....

    Please advice....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Can any bro advice....

    Thank you..........
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Any bro can advice if it is advisable to send a fungus infected lens for cleaning??

    Is it worth it??? Does anyone know how much it would cost and will it solve the problem once and for all??

    I have an EF 28-105 with Fungus, and I wondering if I should send it for cleaning???? It is still pretty in good condition, and other than the fungus, it has served me through the years and have sentimental value too.....

    Please advice....
    It will really depend on yourself.

    Sending the lens for cleaning doesn't solve the problem once and for all and fungus will try to find its way back.

    If i were you, i will probably clean it since it has a sentimental value.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Sending the lens for cleaning doesn't solve the problem once and for all and fungus will try to find its way back.

    If i were you, i will probably clean it since it has a sentimental value.
    Actually... I am thinking of sending it for cleaning...

    If after cleaning, I keep in dry box, and use it frequently, the fungus will still comeback???

    This is my first lens with fungus... so not familiar with what to do.... It is sad as this is a present....

    Any idea where can I get the lens cleaned and how much will it cost????

    Thanks......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  8. #8
    Member gymak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Far North
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Actually... I am thinking of sending it for cleaning...

    If after cleaning, I keep in dry box, and use it frequently, the fungus will still comeback???

    This is my first lens with fungus... so not familiar with what to do.... It is sad as this is a present....

    Any idea where can I get the lens cleaned and how much will it cost????

    Thanks......
    If you're using it frequently, and you put it in the dry box/cabinet when you don't use... Then your lenses should be fine, and it will be hard for fungus to grow.

    You can try sending your lens to canon service centre or find bro Fatigue here on CS
    The best things in life are free.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    If you're using it frequently, and you put it in the dry box/cabinet when you don't use... Then your lenses should be fine, and it will be hard for fungus to grow.

    You can try sending your lens to canon service centre or find bro Fatigue here on CS
    Hi Bro

    who is bro fatigue??? Does he clean lens???

    I hope to clean it up and continue to use it......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Fungus may etch deeper into the glass coatings if left uncleaned for an extended time and become even harder to remove. If you still want to use the lens, send it to a qualified technician to have it properly cleaned. Regular usage, proper storage and proper maintenance will prevent the growth of fungus. Dry box is not 100% fool-proof. If you want to sell it, a fungus infected lens will always be a good discount item.

    I strongly recommend Philip Tay from De Camera Consultant. Here is his contact:

    http://www.decameraconsultant.com/web/
    De Camera Consultant
    511 Guillemard Road
    Unit 01-46 Grandlink Square
    Singapore 399849
    (Nearest MRT Station : Paya Lebar)
    Tel: +65 67426383

    I suggest you give the man a call before you make your way down. You can even ask him to quote you a price over the phone. It is best you bring down your lens for him to assess. He is a honest and experienced camera/lens repairman.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Genie In A Lightbox View Post
    Fungus may etch deeper into the glass coatings if left uncleaned for an extended time and become even harder to remove. If you still want to use the lens, send it to a qualified technician to have it properly cleaned. Regular usage, proper storage and proper maintenance will prevent the growth of fungus. Dry box is not 100% fool-proof. If you want to sell it, a fungus infected lens will always be a good discount item.

    I strongly recommend Philip Tay from De Camera Consultant. Here is his contact:

    http://www.decameraconsultant.com/web/
    De Camera Consultant
    511 Guillemard Road
    Unit 01-46 Grandlink Square
    Singapore 399849
    (Nearest MRT Station : Paya Lebar)
    Tel: +65 67426383

    I suggest you give the man a call before you make your way down. You can even ask him to quote you a price over the phone. It is best you bring down your lens for him to assess. He is a honest and experienced camera/lens repairman.
    Bro

    Thank you so much for your information... I will try to go down this weekend and save my lens....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Any bro can advice if it is advisable to send a fungus infected lens for cleaning??

    Is it worth it??? Does anyone know how much it would cost and will it solve the problem once and for all??

    I have an EF 28-105 with Fungus, and I wondering if I should send it for cleaning???? It is still pretty in good condition, and other than the fungus, it has served me through the years and have sentimental value too.....

    Please advice....
    better to get it cleaned before fungus get real thick..haha... get it cleaned and you have 1 more lens in your arsenal...why not...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    better to get it cleaned before fungus get real thick..haha... get it cleaned and you have 1 more lens in your arsenal...why not...
    This is my Primary lens in film era....

    Now, digital 1.6 FOV make the 28mm is a no deal for me when I shoot in tight spot... so it is a compromise... So I shoot with EF 17-40mm... but this range is too short when I need tele...... Still it is good to use this lens once I get in cleansed....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    This is my Primary lens in film era....

    Now, digital 1.6 FOV make the 28mm is a no deal for me when I shoot in tight spot... so it is a compromise... So I shoot with EF 17-40mm... but this range is too short when I need tele...... Still it is good to use this lens once I get in cleansed....
    what if next time you upgrade to FF?
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    what if next time you upgrade to FF?
    If I am on FF... this lens will be very useful for me for the range..... But FF is still so expensive.... so I might be on crop for quite a while still....

    But it is sad to see lens having fungus....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Bro

    Thank you so much for your information... I will try to go down this weekend and save my lens....
    Don't mention it. That's what this forum is for.

  17. #17
    Member gymak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Far North
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Hi Bro

    who is bro fatigue??? Does he clean lens???

    I hope to clean it up and continue to use it......
    There is user here on CS called "Fatigue." He is well known here for repairing cameras and cleaning equipment.
    The best things in life are free.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Fungus Lens At Dry Cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    There is user here on CS called "Fatigue." He is well known here for repairing cameras and cleaning equipment.
    Hi Bro.... thanks for your reply.... I will be bringing my lens to the shop recommended by Genie to clean it.....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •