Thread: Can anyone recommend me a Home Theatre System

Default Can anyone recommend me a Home Theatre System

Can anyone recommend me a Home Theatre System (Receiver with speakers) for about S$1000? i am looking at sony and yamaha. but where can i try yamaha system?

Quote Originally Posted by ahbeng
    Can anyone recommend me a Home Theatre System (Receiver with speakers) for about S$1000? i am looking at sony and yamaha. but where can i try yamaha system?
    You might want to assemble your sys yourself -> Different brands of hardware, DVD player, receiver, speaker, calbes, etc. Avoid buying those crappy HT bundled system. The quality is not there and it limit your future growth.

You might want to try shop like KEC at The Adephi.
    Note: It best that you test out the system from various shops before committing yourself.

AHbeng!! are you who I think you are??!! btw...someone tell is the sys in adelphi very ex ?! seems very high class leh......

Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    You might want to assemble your sys yourself -> Different brands of hardware, DVD player, receiver, speaker, calbes, etc. Avoid buying those crappy HT bundled system. The quality is not there and it limit your future growth.

You might want to try shop like KEC at The Adephi.
    Note: It best that you test out the system from various shops before committing yourself.
    can you do all this for $1000 ?

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    can you do all this for $1000 ?
    I'm afraid not, if you are looking for everything new.
    Seriously speaking, why waste a $1000 for a crappy system that will not last long-> sound quality sucks. Get something better, Maybe a budget of $1000 - $1500 might get you some decent entry level TH SYS. If you plan to lower the cost, get some 2nd hand products, if you are lucky, you might be able to get good and cheap one. For example, good used speaker cable that have already break-in for you.
    Last edited by scanner; 17th April 2004 at 04:30 AM.

$1500 is recommended minimum if u want to shop at Adelphi for TH system. That Excludes the TV/projector. You just go KEC and ask 'em to recommend and show u the difference, then u can really see/hear the difference $$ makes!

yeap... KEC is a good place. tell them your budget and they'll try their best to mix and match. best is they will setup different combinations there and then for you to see and hear the differences. bought mine from them too... but its 3 years back. spent closed to 2K for the amp, sub-woofer and mission speakers.

just as people sell less than 1 year old DSLRs lenses etc, many also sell less than 1 yr old Home Theatre components under warranty all the time

If you have $1k, i wouldn't buy the full system first but incrementally. Adding components is better value than buying then replacing.

$1k
    (1) DVD player (with built in decoder - almost all dvd players nowadays)
    (2) integrated amp
    (3) Pair of front speakers.
    (if desperate for surround sound at this stage, use your powered computer speakers as rear surround while waiting for upgrade)

save up another $1k
    (4) AV receiver
    (5) better pair of speakers (old front speakers become the rears)

next $1k
    (6) centre speaker
    (7) subwoofer

don't be too worried about now having the full 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 channels from the start. The benefits of good quality front speakers far outweighs having extra channels.

$1000 budget is really tough to work on....

Yamaha has really good AV amps though, IMO. just like the other guys suggestions..... visit Adelphi....

and perhaps... increase your budget.......

you can also try people's audio in chinatown.. got all my stuff from them.. $1k budget? try looking for used Denon AV receivers and get a new pair of speakers eg Wharfledale DIamond series.. If you like Yamaha recievers you can try pairing it with Mission or B&W speakers which are damn ex.. Denon amps has a warmer sound and Yamaha amps has a more crisp sound.. as for surrounds u can just get those cheapo speakers then slowly upgrade.. remember for that cinema effect u need a real good subwoofer.. the famous ones are from REL or paradigrm.

Yes, I agreed with what erwinx mentioned. "If you have $1k, i wouldn't buy the full system first but incrementally. Adding components is better value than buying then replacing".

You have to carefully prioritize your needs 1st, but again the benefits of good quality front speakers will last you few a good time.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion, please keep them rolling in. I already have a dvd player, so now i only need a receiver and speaker set. I am living in a HDB flat, so i think a very powerful system is not suitable. A good enough system is what i am looking for, the rest of my budget still goes to photography.

go to this SG forum

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=11

you might be able to find some other commments

I got my HT at KEC too Maybe you can start by getting an amp and the 2 front speakers first ? That should fit your budget of 1K... Can slowly add to your collection when you have the budget

heard that for Home theater, it's better use same brand speaker. is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer
    heard that for Home theater, it's better use same brand speaker. is it true?
    no lah, not true. Some company are good in amps and lousy in speakers. Never ever kena con by people saying that it is important to buy the same brand speakers.

There are many things to consider when comes to setting up a HT system. Where do you want to start depending solely on how much you are willing to spend. Some would

1. say that the source is important (ie the player)
    2. spend money on speakers and less on the rest
    3. spend money on amps and speakers and less on cables and player.

So where does it end? It all depends on your budget. There is no such thing as cheap and good. Some have to give way.

my suggestion, don't go to KEC first. Go and pick-up some magazine to read more on HT setup.

Cheers.

Why go for Sony n Yamaha?

People's Audio P/L is having a Pre-Renovation Sales. Check Friday, 23/04/04 ST.

REC'er Pioneer VSX D510G (120w x 5) - $329
    AE Aegis One bkshelf spk - $199/pair x 3 pairs ($597)
    JVC XV521/Toshiba SD1300 DVD - $99

Total costs = $1025

u may add a sub later when budget allow.

May wanna consider 2nd hand from people in echoloft. Just like Clubsnap, this forum has buy and sell, considering your budget.

http://www.echoloft.com/

ahbeng...
    here is something you can try for less than 1k...this produce quite good effect...all u need to do is to connect to your DVD player.

http://us.creative.com/products/prod...3&product=9306