Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Singaporeans slammed for being rude in Australian newspaper!

Default Re: Singaporeans slammed for being rude in Australian newspaper!

here's to gracious society coming from first world countries.

make sure that you have 10% of your population being racist to be a polite, gracious society:

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

Woah u are good in digging information and history.
    The long forgotten incident ...
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

Ah!

The long forgotten incident

gotta admit though, we have loads of room to improve.

i don't really see what "being concerned with money and economic wellbeing" or whether people "attend (churches) in order to network" has to do with politeness.
    is it because people are becoming obsessed with money and their own economic/social well-being that they tend to not give a hoot about others? almost everyone is having the "I come first" mentality.

maybe this is what the person is implying... people here don't put the needs of others before themselves but their own needs first. this we can't disagree; there are numerous real-life examples to be seen... e.g., in food courts.

about the church thing... i don't blame people for going to church to pray and meet people. but if they go to church with the main intend to network and increase their friends count... then that's not very nice. it's like they are treating the house of God as a social club. and this behaviour is also not very gracious. it comes back to the point of fortifying one's own well-being too.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    is it because people are becoming obsessed with money and their own economic/social well-being that they tend to not give a hoot about others? almost everyone is having the "I come first" mentality.

maybe this is what the person is implying... people here don't put the needs of others before themselves but their own needs first. this we can't disagree; there are numerous real-life examples to be seen... e.g., in food courts.

about the church thing... i don't blame people for going to church to pray and meet people. but if they go to church with the main intend to network and increase their friends count... then that's not very nice. it's like they are treating the house of God as a social club. and this behaviour is also not very gracious. it comes back to the point of fortifying one's own well-being too.
    ok, obsession with money doesn't mean that you don't care about others. i know money obsessed people who are actually very polite and nice, just that they think nonstop about making money, so perhaps that's why i'm wondering where the link is.

for example, when i am rude in a food court, say... people have been waiting for a table and i just barge in and sit down. how is that related to my mentality towards money? which is why i say that article is a bit ludicrous - it seems to just pull anything under the sun in to slam another country.

with regards to church... that's religious discussion and therefore off-limits here, sadly.

gotta admit though, we have loads of room to improve.
    classic case of idiot drivers

since the Wish driver is being a real idiot... i don't see why the Latio driver is trying to be one too. what's the hurry in getting in front of the Wish? why can't he just slip behind the Wish since the cam car is like 2 car lengths behind?

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    classic case of idiot drivers

since the Wish driver is being a real idiot... i don't see why the Latio driver is trying to be one too. what's the hurry in getting in front of the Wish? why can't he just slip behind the Wish since the cam car is like 2 car lengths behind?
    now, if only singapore would be like the uk countryside.

it was a great experience driving there, when we stopped by the side of the road to shoot things (parked safely, of course) we had kind old ladies and young chaps stopping to ask us if there was anything wrong.. i think, because we had turned on hazard lights on to make sure people could see us in case they were sorta.. not paying attention. whenever it came to parts in the road where somebody had to give way, somehow we were always given the option of going first. that was very nice of them.

of course, the highways are a mixed affair.. and i don't know about london. have seen wonderful stunt drivers before though, so i don't think it's that much better than singapore.

maybe it's just cities.

ok, obsession with money doesn't mean that you don't care about others. i know money obsessed people who are actually very polite and nice, just that they think nonstop about making money, so perhaps that's why i'm wondering where the link is.

for example, when i am rude in a food court, say... people have been waiting for a table and i just barge in and sit down. how is that related to my mentality towards money? which is why i say that article is a bit ludicrous - it seems to just pull anything under the sun in to slam another country.

with regards to church... that's religious discussion and therefore off-limits here, sadly.
    i'm referring to the tissue paper choping of seats in food court. this we all know is very ungracious. anyway, we have got a lot to learn.

btw, some friends and i was at Ikea Tampines 2 weeks ago having a meal at the restaurant. it was a sunday and it's packed. tables are filled up and people are standing looking for a place to sit. while i was waiting, i noticed a group of 3 teenage girls (probably secondary level) taking up a 4 seater table. they finished their meal and went to refill their cups.

after i managed to find my table... they are still there... chatting away, oblivious to their surroundings. after half an hour later, i finished my meal. guess what? they are still there... doing what they do best, chat and couldn't care less about people standing and waiting for seats.

seriously... i don't know what kind of upbringing they have gone through. it's sad that such young people have such behaviour in them. oh, you can also see such behaviour at coffee joints. genuine customers are often left standing and waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Jix View Post
    Speaking of lift. How many times did you see an individual got squeezed by the elevator door because the idiot who went in first didn't hold the door.
    and many times when i hold the door for peoples, they don't say a simple "thanks".
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJerry View Post
    And the ah-pek smokes inside the lift although he sees no smoking sticker ...
    Anyway bad people exists everywhere and not only in Singapore.
    dont put ah pek ( old man ) into examples , most of them dont care . like when crossing the road, even thought there are lot of cars, they just cross.

that explains why many in traffic accidents , old folks are usually the victim.

why they dont care? i think it is pretty obvious. coz die die lor..
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion Prieur View Post
    Not shocking at all. Singaporeans think that rude and harsh is good for you, and that everyone must not take it too seriously. Well, that's what they encourage here in CS.

When you are rude, admit that you are rude. Don't try to make excuses for your countrymen that there are rude people everywhere in the world.
    There is no rude people in where I live.

We don't take offense even if you are rude to us.

Only that we make sure you disappear from planet earth when you walk home alone one of the night.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    There is no rude people in where I live.

We don't take offense even if you are rude to us.

Only that we make sure you disappear from planet earth when you walk home alone one of the night.

ur scary

stupid pissed up Mancunian chav scum. What can I say? Sometimes it's embarrassing to be British.

I got aunty and uncle scared to go up lift with me. Waste my time to press the door button waiting for them. 1 Aunty say dun want like very scared. 1 old man saw me go in, he u-turn and walk away then when the lift gg up, I saw him come back to press the button. 1 lady even stare at me when I press the door waiting for her...this time, I got scared and close it. Coz she gave this revengeful stare. LOL. But its very depress to see their reaction just bcoz of my skin color. I was raise to be nice to people and yet, they're not nice to me. Even my neighbor also not happy since we both had the same incident. Just bcoz we dark, doesnt mean we gonna rob or kill u and yelled "YOL! YOL! YOL! YOL!" with tongue came out. sighed. I find them rude though i know they are just concern of their safety. but funny they always saw me, still scared of me meh.The best part, when I went down to take photo of cats, their look on me like very suspicious as if I'm trying to take pic for the next target or somthing. Especially when I walk around the park with a 500mm lens. 1 Auntry ran away! lol.

But I do have some neighbors who doesnt mind and we do chat occasionally.

Some Ang mohs are ok. While some are just bad egg. In Clarke quay when I wore a EPL jersey and queuing at Mcdonald, this ang moh with his fren tapped my should and show middle finger and said "This club is F*&#ED! you're going to lose!" I reply "COmplaint that to the manager, not me Idiot" and best part he said "Ok cool" and kept quiet. lol

I got an ex-collegue whom is Ang moh Australian. His first impression was Bad. The first word that came out of his mouth to me is "WTF do u want?" Yeah, he is a living hell. He tried to push me with alot of job. I nearly smacked him when I couldnt take even though he is 2x bigger than me, I push him outside to have a fight with me and he said "Mate, we are the same religion!" I reply "WTF does religion have to do with this? This is ur &*()&*^& Attitude that I dun like!" Eventually he didnt want to fight when I smack the furniture beside him and it breaks.lol. I had a swollen hand for two weeks due to that. Ouch. I know its bad manner, but he just push me to the brink.previously I tried talking about his attitude and he said "This is who I am and I dun care" wat the hell...

I think some of them need to be taught a simple manner of being polite.
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

now, if only singapore would be like the uk countryside.

it was a great experience driving there, when we stopped by the side of the road to shoot things (parked safely, of course) we had kind old ladies and young chaps stopping to ask us if there was anything wrong.. i think, because we had turned on hazard lights on to make sure people could see us in case they were sorta.. not paying attention. whenever it came to parts in the road where somebody had to give way, somehow we were always given the option of going first. that was very nice of them.

of course, the highways are a mixed affair.. and i don't know about london. have seen wonderful stunt drivers before though, so i don't think it's that much better than singapore.

maybe it's just cities.

I had a great time driving there as well, West Sussex

Down the winding country road everyday
    Last edited by Royale With Cheese; 3rd June 2010 at 09:12 PM.

i think each country and society will have their fair share of rude-ness... just that whoever the author is is exposed to the rude ppl in singapore... however as a singaporean myself, i do think that some singaporeans lack social graciousness and basic courtesy...

when a person smiles @ you in good will, no harm giving a nod, or return that smile.. however singaporeans will look @ you as if you are some freaks. and another classic example is that, have you encountered that when you try to change lanes while driving, the driver just simply speeds up and refuse to let you pass?

there are countless examples to be named here... however i wish to highlight that there are polite and well mannered singaporeans too... instead of highlighting the bad side, why not we ignore the rude ness, and look more at the good side...

Hahahahah... this is funny
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post

I had a great time driving there as well, West Sussex

Down the winding country road everyday
    you didn't rent that car did you?

the best car i got to drive was a VW Golf.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast