Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cameron Highlands. recommendations pls.

Default Cameron Highlands. recommendations pls.

Hi,

this is the first time i am driving up to cameron highlands.

i would like to know:

1.) which hotel? budget SGD$100 - $150 per night.
    2.) where to go for food?
    3.) where to go for photography? particularly for photography.

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ferderico; 3rd June 2010 at 10:49 AM.
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

Default Re: Cameron Highlands. recommendations pls.

First time driving to Cameron Highlands? My advice:
    1) Be aware that the toll charges will not be that cheap. Before you hit the North-South Highway make sure you have a Touch N Go card with minimum RM300 in it.

2) Book your hotels at least a month in advance for weekend trips as they get fully booked quite fast! I can't recommend any as I can't remember which one I stayed at but it was nearly all the way to the top. There are other hotels at the "middle" which I recommend as you'll have less driving to do when you return to the hotel after shooting.

3) Do shoot the mushroom farms at night, the tents are lit using bright lights and they look surreal yet beautiful.

4) Photography at the tea plantations is a must. I recommend going early to avoid the crowds and also to give more time for makan sessions later.

5) I strongly suggest you have a co-driver who knows the way around Malaysia and that one of you can speak Malay to avoid getting lost and also to get directions if you do get lost.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    First time driving to Cameron Highlands? My advice:
    1) Be aware that the toll charges will not be that cheap. Before you hit the North-South Highway make sure you have a Touch N Go card with minimum RM300 in it.

2) Book your hotels at least a month in advance for weekend trips as they get fully booked quite fast! I can't recommend any as I can't remember which one I stayed at but it was nearly all the way to the top. There are other hotels at the "middle" which I recommend as you'll have less driving to do when you return to the hotel after shooting.

3) Do shoot the mushroom farms at night, the tents are lit using bright lights and they look surreal yet beautiful.

4) Photography at the tea plantations is a must. I recommend going early to avoid the crowds and also to give more time for makan sessions later.

5) I strongly suggest you have a co-driver who knows the way around Malaysia and that one of you can speak Malay to avoid getting lost and also to get directions if you do get lost.
    Hi, thanks for the info.
    we will have 2 cars going up to cameron highlands and 1 of them is a malaysian. Anyway we got GPS to guide us there.

as this trip involves our partners, we are thinking of getting a good hotel in case they dont wanna tag along for the photo shoots. so i am still looking at the hotels....
    equitorial, century pines, etc...

i saw some pics on the lakehouse... looks damn nice...

STILL seeking for recommendations and thanks in advance
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

I think the lakehouse is a bit far from the hill town area. There are many hotels & apartments of various grades up there so I usually drive around & check in on the spot but don't do this during peak season like holidays.

Hotel de'la Ferns is pretty new. I last stayed in Bala's holiday chalet & Ye Olde smokehouse for some Tudor style houses.

Food is usually overrated there & easy to find while they have night markets on evenings of weekends, maybe weekdays.

It's pretty easy from the NS highway as the signs are obvious. U can enter from the southern & old entry which brings you pass some villages but the route up is tight. It's more scenic & you'd see the waterfall not to mention some hill kampongs.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

We stayed at Father's Guesthouse..very nice budget arrangement..food is not that good in the Tanah Rata town..so we ate at guesthouse itself...

For photography according to me the only place in highlands is tea garden..we visted garden during sunrise and also middle of the day..sunrise happens around 7am but be there at least 30mins before...

for your reference couple of shots from my flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/souvikb/4550392625/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/souvikb/4577501443/
    flickr|Nikon D7000|Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS|Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

Just came back from Cameron Highlands.
    Weather was enjoyable for holiday, though just my luck it was misty and very cloudy, so not too good for photography.

If going from Woodlands, total toll to Tapah exit from JB is about RM60-odd. So total toll for a return journey would be about 130-odd, certainly not near RM300 as mentioned by another CSer.
    Road up the mountain from Tapah is still pretty much as it has been for the last quarter century or so. Narrow and winding. Progress is slow. Estimated 1.5hours for a slow drive up from Tapah to Tana Rata, including short stop at the waterfall on the way to relieve the expected nausea from all that turning.

Century Pines resort looks nice (from the outside). Worth a try

I found that Tana Rata is mainly Indian and Malay food, with some steamboat outlets. I liked the food at Brinchang more. Overall it's about 7/10. I doubt you'll find any "WOW" food... but vegetables are cheap, fresh and plentiful. Cameron Highlands is after all, the 'salad bowl of Malaysia'......
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferderico View Post
    Hi, thanks for the info.
    we will have 2 cars going up to cameron highlands and 1 of them is a malaysian. Anyway we got GPS to guide us there.

as this trip involves our partners, we are thinking of getting a good hotel in case they dont wanna tag along for the photo shoots. so i am still looking at the hotels....
    equitorial, century pines, etc...

i saw some pics on the lakehouse... looks damn nice...

STILL seeking for recommendations and thanks in advance
    Lakehouse is at Ringlet area, which is not such a nice town. The lake is nice though.
    Further up the mountain, the air is cooler, if that's your thing.
    Hotel Equatorial is very high up the mountain. Great views. It's also far from Brinchang town though. 3.3km from hotel entrance to Brinchang town, and it's not a straight road, mind you. Steep and with many turns.

Think the 300RM is because we decided to enter the outskirts of KL and visit one of the mega-malls to get some stuff..............and in the process got lost a few times so the extra money probably came from those tolls.

Hotel Equatorial, not sure if I stayed there or at Hotel Equinox? There are so many hotels there that I can't remember. But the room I stayed in had the most magnificent view of the sunset, we only had to set our cameras on the balcony and snap away.

I also recommend stopping halfway up to let the drivers rest and to allow everyone to recover from the nausea from the turning and changing altitude. The old road is seriously not to be taken lightly, those who are not experienced drivers should be careful as it can get very busy at times with trucks and lorries coming down the other direction so be careful to stay within your lane at all times.

There is a newer road, think it leads to Ipoh? I remember driving up and down it during my stay there and although it feels longer, it is much easier to navigate and to drive. I'm thinking of using that road only during my next trip as I want to visit Cameron Highlands one more time before I leave for Australia.

well... RM300 can get you from JB to Tapah and back to Singapore and back to Tapah again, and STILL have some money left over, so I think a little detour into Kuala Lumpur is hardly going to make a difference to the total toll expenditure.

TS, you may consider Century Pines, because its location is fairly close to Tana Rata town, where there is Starbucks and many food outlets.
    The hotel looks quite new and decent. Strawberry Park Resort looks quite nice too, but some transport is needed for your partners to get to Brinchang town.

S$100-150/room/night is a pretty decent budget. If not during school holidays, it should allow you to stay in most hotels.

I'm sure you will not want the "hotel" I stayed in last time, its sufficient for me, but you get what you pay for 18RM a night.

Food wise, You will find scones sold nearly everywhere.

Forget about the overhyped and overpriced scones at Bala's.
    In my opinion, the good one is at a shop above Marybrown's (Tanah Ratah), called Travellers Cafe (not sure if they changed name to lord's cafe already or not).
    Last edited by ahbian; 13th June 2010 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    I'm sure you will not want the "hotel" I stayed in last time, its sufficient for me, but you get what you pay for 18RM a night.

In my opinion, the good one is at a shop above Marybrown's (Tanah Ratah), called Travellers Cafe (not sure if they changed name to lord's cafe already or not).
    yup. Lord's cafe... yum yum!

I tried at the Cameron Valley Tea House on the drive up between Ringlet and Tana Rata.
    Scones not bad. View was really good

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

I tried at the Cameron Valley Tea House on the drive up between Ringlet and Tana Rata.

I agree, those scones were pretty good. I can still remember cos we stopped there for late breakfast when we were leaving Cameron Highlands for Malacca. Unfortunately the winding and steep journey down was too much for one passenger to bear and he ended up puking the scones he ate inside my car..............

I stayed at Lakehouse during my last visit. I think it's one of the most expensive hotels there but it's in a really nice place with great view. Quite a romantic place to spend the weekend as well since it has really nice beds and toilets

It's situated in Ringlet, which, unfortunately is one of the most boring town there so I drove to Brinchang for all my meals. It's only about 25mins away if you are a hiong driver like me Besides, its quite a scenic drive so I didn't mind doing it everyday.

Some good food I tried:
    Steamboat - Brinchang - Highlands steamboat (value for money and one of the better steamboats)
    Scones (I ate them everyday!) - Boh Plantation (North of Tanah Rata, a bit touristy but it's perched on a hill top and has a wonderful view).
    There are some other cafes selling tea/scones along the road from Ringlet to Tanah Rata, one of them is called Bharat Tea shop and Cameron Valley Tea House. Not too bad as well just that there are more flies.
    Coffee - Erm...the best I had was still at Starbucks at Tanah Rata, haha.

Cameron has really nice vegetables so you can enjoy them at most zi-char stores located in Brinchang. There's a pasar malam on weekend evenings that you should visit as well since you can get a big variety of local food. It should be on the outskirts of Tanah Rata towards Brinchang. Beware that the road will jam heavily during this time though.

That's all I think, enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by Splutter; 14th June 2010 at 02:03 PM.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Highly recommend Heritage Hotel Reservation : (chreservations@heritage.com.my). They just set up a new wing. Hotel done up in tudor style. Located in Tanah Ratna away from crowded Brinchang and away from overly touristy Equatorial hotel which I find it too crowded with people especially noisy singaporeans.

As for scones, you can have it a Smokehouse which has a very nice english cottage atmosphere but expensive at RM38++ for a simple scone and tea set(1 pax). As what some had already said, you can get scones everywhere. Frankly speaking, scones there nothing fantastic but the atmosphere of eat scones with strawberry jams and sipping tea is nice in the cool weather.

Go to one of the seafood place in Bingchang to eat steamboat at night. Food in tanah ratna not really fantastic. For breakfast, there are 2 indian restaurant selling Roti Canai (Prata) in the morning. As you walk down the shops from Heritage towards Brinchang, eat only at the 2nd Indian restaurant and not the first CRAPPY one. There is also a star bucks at Tanah Ratna.

At night, walk around the pasar Malam. Avoid purchasing the "green apple grava hybrid mix fruit" which they claim is a new products and is available only twice a year. Its basically a skinless grava that has its flesh dyed apple green sugar soak normal grava. One thing I love there is the sweet corns.

Boh plantation is nice too. Go early and if lucky, you see the hills covered in mist which makes photography quite nice.

I would recommend going up Cameron highland via the other route of Simpang Pulai. Instead of turning at the first sign of Tapah(You see a sign saying cameron highland - this is the windy dangerous single lane old route), ignore it and travel down some more and turn off NS highway into Simpang Pulai exit. After the toll, turn right and then turn right again and head straight up through the quarry to cameron highlands. You get straighter road, can travel faster and can overtake slow lorries in wider lanes.

Enjoy yourself mate.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post

Just remembered that I had a grab shot of the scone of Lord's Cafe/Travelers Cafe, had only 10 minutes to savour it before running for the bus to KL.

Not an expert in scones, and so do not know what one should taste like. But on its own, I do like their version.

Dug out some more photos for reference :

1. Room in Lakehouse

2. View from Lakehouse

3. Highlands Steamboat restaurant

4. The steamboat itself

5. A nice zi-char restaurant, especially the herbal chicken - You Hoo

6. Boh Tea plantation, north of Brinchang.

last time i went up , i book a clean nice v cheap motel. "Twinpines" --> the new wing. , rm290 for 4D3N .... (i book a 2 single bed with toilet)
    and inside car lock up parking at nite.
    http://twinpines.cameronhighlands.com/

i went alone thus not into v exp lodging, eat and photo shooting, and go waterfalls move ard alot.
    and chat up with ang mo traveling at the lounge area where all the rest some see TV there.

make frens with pple from UK, Aussie, Europe pple. jus invite them for a cup of tea , get from Boh.
    i brought a small electic kettle along :P

T-cafe above Marry Brown... nice.. i tried the scone v nice.
    and Big strawberry farm, the strawberry sundae... oooo
    Boh tea is nice, the rest not worth it.
    and Mountain top is v nice!!!

i went up by new HW simpang, then back by old road tapah.... i bypass using elite HW up , siam KL.

can see pics here for mine
    not fantastic. but its a good rest from my hectic work :P

http://www.friendster.com/viewphotos...77&uid=3047251
    Last edited by vitor; 15th June 2010 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StevO View Post

I would recommend going up Cameron highland via the other route of Simpang Pulai. Instead of turning at the first sign of Tapah(You see a sign saying cameron highland - this is the windy dangerous single lane old route), ignore it and travel down some more and turn off NS highway into Simpang Pulai exit. After the toll, turn right and then turn right again and head straight up through the quarry to cameron highlands. You get straighter road, can travel faster and can overtake slow lorries in wider lanes.

Enjoy yourself mate.
    I tried both routes to get to and from hotel equatorial, which is even further up than Brinchang and hence closer to the new road.
    In the end the new road got me to the Tapah exit in about 2 hours, which is pretty much the same time as going by the old road. And I felt just as nauseous
    Yeah, the speed is greater (which makes the nausea worse), but the distance is a LOT greater. I'm still unconvinced that it's the better way, particularly if one is staying in Ringlet or Tana Rata.

I tried both routes to get to and from hotel equatorial, which is even further up than Brinchang and hence closer to the new road.
    In the end the new road got me to the Tapah exit in about 2 hours, which is pretty much the same time as going by the old road. And I felt just as nauseous
    Yeah, the speed is greater (which makes the nausea worse), but the distance is a LOT greater. I'm still unconvinced that it's the better way, particularly if one is staying in Ringlet or Tana Rata.
    Guess that depends on personal preference. I've also driven on both routes to and from Hotel Equatorial (how come everyone stays there btw? ) and I prefer the new road. Although its longer and the turns are just as winding, at least the traffic is significantly less (when I was there) and unlike the old road there are long stretches of straight roads between the bends which means drivers can relax and concentrate better. Not only that but stopping in case of emergencies is nigh impossible on the old route whereas on the new route there are plenty of places where you can safely stop without blocking traffic. Safety first I always say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast