Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: To bring or not to bring?

  1. #1

    Default To bring or not to bring?

    I'm going Europe for exchange as well as back packing.
    I'm wondering whether to bring my bulky dslr for fear of being mugged as well as slowing me down.
    I'm using Cannon 450D with 18-200 mm putting it in a crumpler bag.
    The lens is kinda bulky..
    I'd be goood if i have a 18-55 mm lens i think..
    It seems to be another luggauge if i were to bring too..
    If i dun bring i'd prolly need to find a compact..

    Any advice?
    Last edited by orangebrainer; 3rd June 2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo

  2. #2

    Default Re: To bring or not to bring?

    3 years of travelling in europe, i haven't got mugged.

    do your research, be streetsmart, be alert, don't walk into dark alleyways, you will not be mugged.

    out of all the singaporeans that i know no one has ever got mugged, only pickpocketed, or stupid things like put down bag in crowded market and talk to people. that is invitation to have your things stolen.

    450d with 18-200 bulky? oh boy.........

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: To bring or not to bring?

    for travel photography, the less is more! so just bring the 18-200mm lens will do

    which part of europe you will be going??

  4. #4

    Default Re: To bring or not to bring?

    whahaah hmm! Prolly paris, venice, rome, vienna and belgium!
    not really in for the photography but just wanna snap shots of the places there
    I haven travelled so far for a decade.. so i guess, i might not be very "alert" :X
    I'll try to do research on the place though

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: To bring or not to bring?

    Quote Originally Posted by orangebrainer View Post
    whahaah hmm! Prolly paris, venice, rome, vienna and belgium!
    not really in for the photography but just wanna snap shots of the places there
    I haven travelled so far for a decade.. so i guess, i might not be very "alert" :X
    I'll try to do research on the place though
    Sound FUN!!! yup with the 18-200mm lens it will cover most of your need, from wide angle for landscape, architecture photography to close up and candid photos

    just research of the main attraction of the place and ENJOY!!

  6. #6

    Default Re: To bring or not to bring?

    Quote Originally Posted by cookisnap View Post
    Sound FUN!!! yup with the 18-200mm lens it will cover most of your need, from wide angle for landscape, architecture photography to close up and candid photos

    just research of the main attraction of the place and ENJOY!!
    What they said but I'd pack along a nice prime that opens wide for the occasional night/low light situation & that bokeh. Enjoy.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

  7. #7

    Default Re: To bring or not to bring?

    I'm still doing my exchange in germany now. It's been 8 months so far, and i've been around abit.
    Germany, France, England, Norway, Sweden, Czeck republic, italy, greece, spain, slovenia, croatia. and will be going to other countries in the next few months.

    So far i had no issues with mugging, just have to be more careful in south spain and deep east europe.

    you'd want a fast UWA/WA for inside churches and indoor shots. otherwise a 18-200 is more than sufficient to cover whatever you need. Send me a message if you want to ask about more stuff.

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: To bring or not to bring?

    Quote Originally Posted by orangebrainer View Post
    I'm going Europe for exchange as well as back packing.
    I'm wondering whether to bring my bulky dslr for fear of being mugged as well as slowing me down.
    I'm using Cannon 450D with 18-200 mm putting it in a crumpler bag.
    The lens is kinda bulky..
    I'd be goood if i have a 18-55 mm lens i think..
    It seems to be another luggauge if i were to bring too..
    If i dun bring i'd prolly need to find a compact..

    Any advice?

    You bought your camera, might as well get the best use out of it. Don't want to kick yourself if you come upon a great photo opportunity and you can't capture it or is limited by equipment.

    Just exhibit common sense and awareness and you will be fine.

    Backpack all over Europe while studying there for 4 years and I'm still here

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: To bring or not to bring?

    Quote Originally Posted by orangebrainer View Post
    I'm going Europe for exchange as well as back packing.
    I'm wondering whether to bring my bulky dslr for fear of being mugged as well as slowing me down.
    I'm using Cannon 450D with 18-200 mm putting it in a crumpler bag.
    The lens is kinda bulky..
    I'd be goood if i have a 18-55 mm lens i think..
    It seems to be another luggauge if i were to bring too..
    If i dun bring i'd prolly need to find a compact..

    Any advice?
    i can't agree more with the others that common sense is important.
    i do have a good friend who got his equipment snatched by little snatch thief kids when he was in spain.
    if size is a problem and is bugging u, try compacts or micro4/3 cameras.
    Last edited by Fotophilic; 19th June 2010 at 08:34 PM.
    cameras are not made of tofu

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •