Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac VS Other Laptops (Video and Photo Editing)

Default Re: Mac VS Other Laptops (Video and Photo Editing)

Once a Mac, one never look back. I started using a Mac 5 years ago and since then have upgraded three times to newer Macs. Started with the PowerBook G4 to my current MacBook Pro, 27 inch iMac at home, 2 iPhones (one is 1st generation and the other 3GS), iPod classic and of course the iPad. It's quick, intuitive, doesn't crash, does not hog memory and last but definitely not least. . . . . . it does not run on Microsoft.
    Chris
    5D2 / 5D3 / 16-35 2.8L II USM / 24-70 2.8L / 100 2.8L IS Macro/ 70-200 2.8L IS

Quote Originally Posted by chris0804 View Post
    Once a Mac, one never look back. I started using a Mac 5 years ago and since then have upgraded three times to newer Macs. Started with the PowerBook G4 to my current MacBook Pro, 27 inch iMac at home, 2 iPhones (one is 1st generation and the other 3GS), iPod classic and of course the iPad. It's quick, intuitive, doesn't crash, does not hog memory and last but definitely not least. . . . . . it does not run on Microsoft.
    haha... i like you last sentence... typical of what a mac user would say... however as a window user, i agree with you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slyanius View Post
    I've recently switched from a Windows desktop computer to a macbook pro. Software-wise, photoshop to aperture 3.

Why? I think photoshop and aperture are 2 different kinds of software aimed at achieving different outcomes. Photoshop is better for creating composite images and doing complex image manipulations, but aperture is more suited to a photographer's workflow then a graphic designer's. I can see so many advantages as a photography enthusiast to have my photo editing software able to manage my photo libraries as well as touch up on my photos at the same time. I'd admit that photoshop is a much more powerful tool, but it has too many features I don't even need, and its too complicated. On the other hand, Aperture 3 has most of the features I require from it, plus a little more. To describe the differences of the two in another way, I found that I had change myself to adapt to using photoshop, but aperture seems to adapt to me instead. As with most apple products, it's much more user-friendly, intuitive, it's like you know what to do naturally. Aperture's better workflow also meant that I open lesser programs, the computer runs more smoothly, and I output my photos faster.

Btw, my desktop has the exact same specs as my first mbp, and the whole system lags and slows down with viewnx and photoshop open after editing a few photos. I can only do a limited number of photos before I have to restart. I don't see the same problem on a mbp.
    I'd say that Aperture is more of a LR2 than a Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    I'd say that Aperture is more of a LR2 than a Photoshop
    I think Lightroom doesn't manage your photo libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyanius View Post
    I think Lightroom doesn't manage your photo libraries.
    Lightroom categorises your photos according to date. I've seen Aperture being used a few times and its features seem to be not unlike that of Lightroom's.

Adobe also has bridge.

ROFLMAO.............mate I feel your pain. I've suffered the exact same from several of my friends in the past as well. That's why these days I only give general advice and only perform maintenance for my closest friends.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    dunno, i guess some people are just lazy... like this friend of mine, i helped him clean his computer once. 3 months later it was back to square one, because he just happily clicked anything and everything without thinking.. disabled the free (and relatively effective) antivirus and anti-adware programs i installed.....

and then complained that his computer was lagging.

i wanted to pengsan.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    ROFLMAO.............mate I feel your pain. I've suffered the exact same from several of my friends in the past as well. That's why these days I only give general advice and only perform maintenance for my closest friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    dunno, i guess some people are just lazy... like this friend of mine, i helped him clean his computer once. 3 months later it was back to square one, because he just happily clicked anything and everything without thinking.. disabled the free (and relatively effective) antivirus and anti-adware programs i installed.....

and then complained that his computer was lagging.

i wanted to pengsan.
    that's why I now encourage people to switch to Mac... everyone should switch to Mac... then malware people would refocus their efforts...

but seriously, how much do you want to spend for the video and photo editing experience? I can tell you the best laptop to edit video and photo is probably the HP EliteBook 8740w, or some would prefer a Dell Precision M6500... but are they really necessary for what one would need to do?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12