Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Taking photos from public place

Default Re: Taking photos from public place

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRussell View Post

Racism is everywhere. Ask my 7 and 13 yr old sons, both born here, who were told yesterday by a Chinese Golden Mile shopkeeper that they had no right to be there and should go back home where they came from. Novena, presumably.
    haha, a bit off topic....i was in the same shoe as ur kids.
    it happened quite long ago when i was young, my bike was stolen by a malay boy (i am from malaysia) and after a few days, i located my bike and demanded it back. the granma of the thief came out and shouted "chinese...go back to your country, china"..and then she went in and take a "parang" (machete) out. i was like...WTF, grabbed my bike then get out of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    . If we publish any photos of the building, then a certain fee will have to go to them. I explained that we are not publishing the photos for commercial use and the issue ended there.

Is this true?
    Publish for personal or editorial use, there's nothing they can do. Use it in a marketing role (advertising, brochure etc) then they could, if they had the lawyers, try to get a property usage fee just like a model.

Buildings owned or with tenants that would likely be the target for the ( assume ) terrorist , management will be unusual sensitive on any imaging activity happening in or around the building premise.

Many times , was asked to stop photography immediately at the Chevron ( Caltex ) building butting the Arcade.

Not sure whether shooting at the Indonesia, Brunei or the China embassy will have same effect.

Perhaps some can try and post the feed back.

Is this infraction ?

Still no conclusion as I am still at home; haven't gone to office yet talk to next "Management" in place.

However a group of us went to Parkview to shoot with no problem; the only issue is if you try to take inside the building, or the fountain area at the behind, on their side of the road.

The few of us managed to get the crane area and the security guard came out and we thought he was going to chase us away but he was just going over to talk to a contractor fixing the floor. After that, we hung around 10mins, security guard was also there, so that place is actually okay for photos?
    as i recall, i have gone to parkview square to loiter many times before.

yes, you only encounter troubles when you try to shoot INSIDE the building. that is understandable and acceptable.

A Mr. Roger Lee called me next and I have the following answers from him:
    1. Juristriction is as long as stepping on the granite area.
    2. Stopping us from taking photographs is because of security reason
    3. I quoted him several instances where I cannot take photos of a building (e.g. oil ref, A.Embassy, Parliament) and some which I can (e.g. Iluma). His reply is that the building management has a right to stop people as long as the person is within the premises (ref #1). If we publish any photos of the building, then a certain fee will have to go to them. I explained that we are not publishing the photos for commercial use and the issue ended there.

Is this true?
    you might want to read this :

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_versi...8345606-002578

Buildings and models of buildings
    64. The copyright in a building or a model of a building is not infringed by the making of a painting, drawing, engraving or photograph of the building or model or by the inclusion of the building or model in a cinematograph film or in a television broadcast.
    you can read more here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...72#post6168272

as mattlock says (and he can definitely be trusted):

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    There are a few exceptions in the world where you are specifically prohibited from having the building photographed (empire state building is one of them)
    What you're prohibited from having in photographs that are sold are TRADEMARKS

"- Flatiron building in NY, Tour Eiffel at night (lights on), Sidney Opera in Australia.

2. logos:Windows, CD, DVD, Dolby, Sony, Canon, etc, everything
    3. names and signatures, license plates
    4. other: Mickey and Minnie, McDonalds and the Golden Arches, the Cypress Tree on Pebbles Beach, Lego, Peeps
    5. modern art (same for buildings) it doesn't matter if it's on a public space, is the work of an artist"
    that said, i agree, as long as you are on the premises they have a right to stop you, and then discuss terms to use the premises when you are doing so for commercial projects. it is like, renting space in some sense, since you are on their grounds, and you are earning, they want to get a cut, they have the right to do so. good examples of this include photographing commerically on the underground (you need to pay a photographer's license) in london, and things like using the national museum for wedding shots.

however, the moment you are on public property, i.e. not their premises, you can shoot what you want, and you don't have to pay them a single cent unless they happen to have trademarked the building.
    Last edited by night86mare; 3rd June 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you might want to read this :

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_versi...8345606-002578

you can read more here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...72#post6168272

as mattlock says (and he can definitely be trusted):

that said, i agree, as long as you are on the premises they have a right to stop you, and then discuss terms to use the premises when you are doing so for commercial use. good examples of this include photographing commerically on the underground (you need to pay a photographer's license) in london, and things like using the national museum for wedding shots.

however, the moment you are on public property, i.e. not their premises, you can shoot what you want, and you don't have to pay them a single cent unless they happen to have trademarked the building.
    Dammit. Your Google kungfu is still a lot better than my Google kungfu

Thanks for the heads up and to the rest of people too.. okay, time to re-load. But it'll have to wait another day.
    Last edited by wildcat; 3rd June 2010 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRussell View Post
    Publish for personal or editorial use, there's nothing they can do. Use it in a marketing role (advertising, brochure etc) then they could, if they had the lawyers, try to get a property usage fee just like a model.
    No, we're not going into that area. (no intention of publishing except sharing of photos within CS - don't think that counts, right?)
    I suppose since I am located in our own rented premises (office within Gateway), I can actually take a picture of the opposite Gateway without infringing anything.

Err.. today no more sun. Not interested to go check out where "jurisdiction" ends (will try bus stop next round)

Btw, does Gateway got a lot of tenants consisting of US base companies , any Embassy ?
    These are the clues.

Try shoot Golden Mile complex ?

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Btw, does Gateway got a lot of tenants consisting of US base companies , any Embassy ?
    These are the clues.

Try shoot Golden Mile complex ?
    Nope, but got two major pharmaceutical companies (one on each side). Anyway I got the shot I needed but that's only coz I was prepared for the security guard to stop me after 1 or 2 shots (standing abt 1 ft away behind him, as he was directing traffic in from the main road). Still, I'd like to know my rights rather than kui kui shui shui. Don't want to like, shoot from on LTA's road or bus stop.

If I'm shooting INSIDE their premises and they tell me to stop, fine I will stop as I'm on their property. If I'm outside and they tell me to stop, they can go piss off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123