Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Taking photos from public place

  1. #1
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Taking photos from public place

    Sun is looking good today; decided to have a try at shooting buildings again. At Gateway, all prepared to be stopped from taking photo (because it has happened to me and some others before) even though I am standing at the edge of the main road (Beach Road) by the public walkway. The first security person kept insisting cannot take despite me saying it was public area. As expected, reason is "Management" say cannot take. So I kept pushing him to give me the name and contact of "Management". After a few tries (and me trying to pacify him saying he's just doing his job and I just want to clarify with whoever is giving him instructions), he pointed me to FC and...

    repeat above with second guy, this time wearing "Security" tag on his uniform. Repeat same pacify (you're just doing your job, I understand, but I just want to talk to the "Management" who is giving the instructions). After he understands I am "not trying to make his job difficult, he's just following instructions", a third (actually by now, I am surrounded by 6 guys already) security guard came and was very defensive.

    Kept saying how this is private property and I am considered trespassing. Naturally I disagreed and explained to him how I understand the taking of pictures of certain government and sensitive buildings like Parliament can be considered but not in a public area like this. Blah blah blah.

    Finally got a reply that "Management" has gone off. No problem. I can be back tomorrow... afterall, I work in this building (tried getting my tenant name but I didn't offer), and finally got a "S S/O MAYAKRISNA" with a contact number to call tomorrow.

    ... to be contd.

  2. #2
    Member Sispecho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    wow i didnt know it was trespassing if ure in a public area.....

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Get them to clarify where their jurisdiction starts and ends...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Security is ridiculous to stop you. Next time, do as I what told you and the rest of the guys on the outing with ZerocoolAstra ... Ghillie suit and 400mm telezoom hiding at the bus stop opposite gateway! Hehehhe
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    r u ang mo? i bet if u are ang mo, they will not stop u..

  6. #6
    Member johnmateosong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines, Philippin
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    try to talk in a different language and pretend you don't understand them...

  7. #7
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Quote Originally Posted by Sispecho View Post
    wow i didnt know it was trespassing if ure in a public area.....
    According to security guards, you are.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    It's true, if you are standing on a public area and shooting, you are not trespassing. Exception for government buildings. Like mentioned, they are just doing their job. We as photographers, perhaps be more discrete bout shooting? Don't need to announce to the whole world, but then again we don't need to hide one corner and snipe to arouse suspicions. Hehe
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  9. #9
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Heh, okay. Thanks for the feedback... will definitely take note of suggestions and give my feedback to "Management"... if I ever find the top guy. It seems like I'm just being routed from one security person to another and I have a feeling this might have been something they implemented on their own.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    If it happen to me, I will tell them I either standing in road reserve own by lta, drain reserve own by pub or the side table own by npark. I will tell those security that any haressment from them, I will reserve my right to call the police or media, and warn them it might risk them losing their job. If they are still not happy, just them to report police.

    Those security guard will keep telling me that they just follow orders and nag nag nag. I will keep shooting and just walk off after I finish my shot.

    Basically, they are lost and can't do anytime to you.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Quote Originally Posted by auron View Post
    r u ang mo? i bet if u are ang mo, they will not stop u..
    Lol. Crude but true enough.
    Find me beauty, find me kindness, find me truth...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    If it happen to me, I will tell them I either standing in road reserve own by lta, drain reserve own by pub or the side table own by npark. I will tell those security that any haressment from them, I will reserve my right to call the police or media, and warn them it might risk them losing their job. If they are still not happy, just them to report police.

    Those security guard will keep telling me that they just follow orders and nag nag nag. I will keep shooting and just walk off after I finish my shot.

    Basically, they are lost and can't do anytime to you.
    i think basically most of them want photographers to just go on their way and don't make their life difficult. That's why i would prefer shoot and faster go off...everybody is happy that way, i get my shot, the security don't have to answer too much to their bosses if nobody spots me.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    i think basically most of them want photographers to just go on their way and don't make their life difficult. That's why i would prefer shoot and faster go off...everybody is happy that way, i get my shot, the security don't have to answer too much to their bosses if nobody spots me.
    to do this, you must already have in mind what you want to shoot and what sort of angle to shoot from. some people would shoot, preview and shoot again. by this time... too late liao.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Quote Originally Posted by auron View Post
    r u ang mo? i bet if u are ang mo, they will not stop u..
    sad fact of life in Singapore, locals love bowing down to their colonial masters?

    Try responding to them in Japanese, might work

  15. #15
    Member ireallydontlikepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Second Last Stop of East Side
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Oh that explains why i was being stopped from taking photo at National Library?
    I thought the security is worried that we are terrorist? ... Trying to map the location?
    Or i too imaginative ...
    LIFE is like Photography. You use the Negatives to develop. The Pictures to prove the beauty.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Quote Originally Posted by ireallydontlikepink View Post
    Oh that explains why i was being stopped from taking photo at National Library?
    I thought the security is worried that we are terrorist? ... Trying to map the location?
    Or i too imaginative ...
    you were stopped at national library? a few years ago i was shooting a friend against the railing outside the library when the security guard approached to tell my friend to be careful. he then suggested i go up to the 9th floor open terrace to shoot. said the view very nice.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    get a signed petition from the members here, and submit to the Ministries ...
    some building management really must be taught some lessons on friendly public relations.

    Last week I was walking into Wheelock Place and just about to take out my little camera, GF1 and aimed at the cone ceiling and before I clicked, immediately a security guard tapped on me and warned me that photography is not allowed.

    So i asked him who said that.
    He said: Management.
    I asked: What management? Who is the management?
    He said: My bosses.
    I asked: Did they say what is the reason.
    He kept quiet, and kept mumbling ....
    So I told him: Ask your management to tell you some good reasons so that it will not make you look so stupid while trying to make you look so clever looking.
    I then walked out of the building.
    Again, like everyone say, I dont think i will be asked to stop taking a photo if i am another Angmo.

    I suppose that day Borders lost a customer as I was going to buy 2 books as gifts.
    always the Light, .... always.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    get a signed petition from the members here, and submit to the Ministries ...
    some building management really must be taught some lessons on friendly public relations.

    Last week I was walking into Wheelock Place and just about to take out my little camera, GF1 and aimed at the cone ceiling and before I clicked, immediately a security guard tapped on me and warned me that photography is not allowed.

    So i asked him who said that.
    He said: Management.
    I asked: What management? Who is the management?
    He said: My bosses.
    I asked: Did they say what is the reason.
    He kept quiet, and kept mumbling ....
    So I told him: Ask your management to tell you some good reasons so that it will not make you look so stupid while trying to make you look so clever looking.
    I then walked out of the building.
    Again, like everyone say, I dont think i will be asked to stop taking a photo if i am another Angmo.

    I suppose that day Borders lost a customer as I was going to buy 2 books as gifts.
    yeah wheelock security seems to be sticky on that.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Another fack-off building management team is from the Parkview Square building along North Bridge Road. Tried taking the big "crane" and kanna told off that the high class, expensive building is out of bound for photographers (probably those who don't look like HK tycoons)

    But you can see old angmo couples enjoying their shooting inside at times when you walk pass.
    always the Light, .... always.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Taking photos from public place

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    get a signed petition from the members here, and submit to the Ministries ...
    some building management really must be taught some lessons on friendly public relations.

    Last week I was walking into Wheelock Place and just about to take out my little camera, GF1 and aimed at the cone ceiling and before I clicked, immediately a security guard tapped on me and warned me that photography is not allowed.

    So i asked him who said that.
    He said: Management.
    I asked: What management? Who is the management?
    He said: My bosses.
    I asked: Did they say what is the reason.
    He kept quiet, and kept mumbling ....
    So I told him: Ask your management to tell you some good reasons so that it will not make you look so stupid while trying to make you look so clever looking.
    I then walked out of the building.
    Again, like everyone say, I dont think i will be asked to stop taking a photo if i am another Angmo.

    I suppose that day Borders lost a customer as I was going to buy 2 books as gifts.
    At least Wheelock is a private estate though... Indeed his 'bosses' might have disallowed photography and its their right to do so. On a public road however...

    And there's no need to be nasty to security personnel imo, it makes it even harder for other photographers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •