Thread: Getting started..

Default Getting started..

Hi guys! I decided to pick up photography again after stopping a few years from my P&S Olympus. So met up with my best bud who happened to be a photographer and talked about some stuffs. I borrowed his Konica Minolta DSLR mated to a Sony 50mm f1.8 lens, settings were Manual Mode, shutter 1/40, f2, ISO200, manual focus(forget distance) and took a shot of his keychain. Settings were made by myself, altho it was done after listening to some kind advices from my best bud, so i wont say its fully 'my setup'. Its an artificial badge from Mercedes Benz after he attended some events. I also posted a similar post in another forum under CS. Here is a shot of it. Comments are welcomed.

Deregistered

Default Re: Getting started..

Please post your picture(s) in the respective galleries...

while waiting for Mod to move.

I would say if you were aiming dead center at the BENZ part, either lens got front focusing issue or need to increase the DoF so that the whole BENZ is in focus. Try using a table lamp light to see if can get the metal to "shine" for a more polished finish.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post

I would say if you were aiming dead center at the BENZ part, either lens got front focusing issue or need to increase the DoF so that the whole BENZ is in focus. Try using a table lamp light to see if can get the metal to "shine" for a more polished finish.
    Ooops. I kept posting in the wrong section ever since i joined here. >< Sorry for the trouble guys.

Hmmmm. I set the AF into manual instead. So perhaps i should increase the DoF? Btw this was taken at a restaurant so no table lamps. But thanks for the tip

Just keep practising.

And CRITICISE yourself strongly first. Once you feel you have done something which makes you proud, put it up for critique and be open to any critique.

You'll learn more and faster.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Just keep practising.

And CRITICISE yourself strongly first. Once you feel you have done something which makes you proud, put it up for critique and be open to any critique.

You'll learn more and faster.
    Thanks Yeah thats what i thought so too. When starting out first everyone has alot of flaws, hence the criticism. However we must learn from our mistakes and not repeat them. Only then we will learn.

I would say if you were aiming dead center at the BENZ part, either lens got front focusing issue [...]
    Front focusing issue with manual focus?
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by BikerPh0t0z View Post
    Hmmmm. I set the AF into manual instead. So perhaps i should increase the DoF? Btw this was taken at a restaurant so no table lamps. But thanks for the tip
    Yes, increase DOF. There are calculation tools online to see what the resulting DOF will be when using a certain lens (focal length, aperture) on a certain body (crop, FF).
    Understanding Depth of Field

Easy to see that at very close distance the DOF becomes very thin. No point using f/2 here. Macro shooters use f/16 in order to get the little insect halfway complete in focus, instead of just the eye
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Yes, increase DOF. There are calculation tools online to see what the resulting DOF will be when using a certain lens (focal length, aperture) on a certain body (crop, FF).
    Understanding Depth of Field

Easy to see that at very close distance the DOF becomes very thin. No point using f/2 here. Macro shooters use f/16 in order to get the little insect halfway complete in focus, instead of just the eye
    Thanks for the tip bro. Will try out again.

what do you want us to critic on?

Please explain how to have front or rear focusing in manual focus mode...
    You've discovered something new... kindly enlighten us!
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Please explain how to have front or rear focusing in manual focus mode...
    You've discovered something new... kindly enlighten us!
    Guys, perhaps he read my post wrongly hence the mistake. Do not turn this into a flaming thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    what do you want us to critic on?
    If you have critics about the photo, go ahead. If not, i also dunno wat to do. =X Just post lor.

Guys, perhaps he read my post wrongly hence the mistake. Do not turn this into a flaming thread.
    It's not flaming at all. We just would like to understand how an issue with Autofocus system (Front / Backfocus is a malfunction of the AF system) can appear on a lens used in manual focusing mode.
    EOS

exactly...

some people should think first before typing...

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    exactly...

some people should think first before typing...
    Hmmm not sure if ur refering to me or the guy.. =X

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    It's not flaming at all. We just would like to understand how an issue with Autofocus system (Front / Backfocus is a malfunction of the AF system) can appear on a lens used in manual focusing mode.
    Thanks for the insight. Guess i've learnt smth new again. Anyway, normally such post in other forums tend to erupt into a flaming thread. Been there, done that. Kindly pardon me for any misunderstanding.

hehehehe not you!

Thanks for the insight. Guess i've learnt smth new again. Anyway, normally such post in other forums tend to erupt into a flaming thread. Been there, done that. Kindly pardon me for any misunderstanding.
    No problem man...some people are still immature throughout their life. Wrong spelling or say something in general.....

by the way, with reference to your nick...you take motorcycle/rider photos?
    Last edited by Reportage; 2nd June 2010 at 04:31 PM.

No problem man...some people are still immature throughout their life. Wrong spelling or say something in general.....

by the way, with reference to your nick...you take motorcycle/rider photos?
    Well this one no comment, but i suggest everyone stop here, if you guys dont mind.

Anyway nope, i was a cyclist. I used the word "was" because i quit cycling to pick up photography for now. No time to carry on my cycling hobby anymore due to mounting school projects. The only hobby i like that can still be carried out during these times is photography. Also, it was through the interest of photography that i got to know my GF.

Well this one no comment, but i suggest everyone stop here, if you guys dont mind.

Anyway nope, i was a cyclist. I used the word "was" because i quit cycling to pick up photography for now. No time to carry on my cycling hobby anymore due to mounting school projects. The only hobby i like that can still be carried out during these times is photography. Also, it was through the interest of photography that i got to know my GF.
    I see.

Keep on photographing.

By the way, if intend to use the same setup again with your GF as the model...do read up on the link Octarine provided. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm
    Last edited by Reportage; 2nd June 2010 at 05:43 PM.

I see.

Keep on photographing.

By the way, if intend to use the same setup again with your GF as the model...do read up on the link Octarine provided. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm
    Thanks. Oooops. My GF = girlfriend. I not sure what acronyms your refering too. Still new to photography. =X