Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Nikon D5000 good for newbie??

Default Re: Is Nikon D5000 good for newbie??

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Weight is only a mere 100g difference only..

And pricing is based on 2nd hand market? Then need to update liao lor..

D90 can easily go for 1K used (given that a brand new kit set fetch only 1.4K)

** damn, my D90 with low shuttle count depreciate so fast.. **
    Wah so cheap? Like that how much is D5000 going with kit lens? Okay lah, if you selling your D90 (with low "shuttle"), let me know ok?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually, the 18-55 and 18-105 is very similar in the overlapped ranges. No point keeping it, might as well sell it.

It is also not that much lighter la. Then with the proceeds from selling 18-55, get a 50/1.8 for portraits. you will find it much better a taking half body portraits than your 35/1.8. And manual focus is fun!
    I rather keep it, its still useful, came the cam anyway.And it is lighter on the D5k, i usually carry the cam in my hand on walkabouts so there is a difference between the 18-55 and the 18-105. Im getting the D90 in the future, so the 50 f1.8 may be somewhere in there. I prefer auto focus. I have yet to really start taking potraits shots, so since i already have the 18-55, might as well use it right?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    You're basically owning 2 lenses whereby 1 totally supercedes the other
    Well it's entirely your choice after all. If it were me I wouldn't bother to keep the 18-55.
    Have you seen the kind of gear people use to shoot portraits? The weight "penalty" of the 18-105 pales in comparison. Also about 70-100mm on a DX camera is quite ideal for headshots at a comfortable working distance. Something to consider.
    Yup i understand the 18-105 has made my 18-55 very redundant. And it doesnt bother me. The lens still has some life in it, since its still usable, i dont see the point of dumping it for the sake of extra cash. And yes, i have seen the gear ppl use to shoot potraits. I think those guys are the pros or they have a very big budget. Im using what i have,which is the 18-55. Heck i can use the 55-200mm also if i want to since you mentioned 70-100mm on DX is ideal for headshots.

I wonder why ppl want to dump their 18-55 asap. I think its a decent lens. Of course it cannot be compared to primes or fast lens, it is after all many considered 'cheapo' lens. It has its limitations of course. I am not sure if there is one perfect lens for everything. Im still new at this, its all a learning experience.

Anyway, its just my 2-cents worth. Cheers!

You can check this thread of the pictures taken with the 'cheapo' lens like the 18-55.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699278
    < < Photography-On-A-Budget > >

another newbie here.

Lens is totally foreign to me, may i know whether clubsnap has explanations for :
    - lens (what the different markings mean)
    - whether can swap between nikon/canon etc?
    - recommended lens for tele/wide

I went to gallery, but could not sort by camera-models.
    I am also lookin at NikonD5000, or Canon500.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe161 View Post

I wonder why ppl want to dump their 18-55 asap. I think its a decent lens. Of course it cannot be compared to primes or fast lens, it is after all many considered 'cheapo' lens. It has its limitations of course. I am not sure if there is one perfect lens for everything. Im still new at this, its all a learning experience.
    Lol, because they upgraded to better lens (faster lens for low light)...i have 18-105 dx & it's not suitable for night shooting, that's why also i have 50mm/1.8 for low light & nice bokeh. U're still learning & will find the need to upgrade ur lens anyway...

Blog Entries

damn... that's a heavy load.

Didn't know D5k's viewfinder magnification is so much less than D90's?
    During the previous Newbies Outing, I looked through a few Canon xxxD viewfinders, also rather small. Checked the specs online and their viewfinder magnification is around 0.8x
    And pentamirror and pentaprism is so much different! Prism is so bright so clear!

its not so good.. get a D90. few bucks diff but way ahead in features that you need.

Blog Entries

I rather keep it, its still useful, came the cam anyway.And it is lighter on the D5k, i usually carry the cam in my hand on walkabouts so there is a difference between the 18-55 and the 18-105. Im getting the D90 in the future, so the 50 f1.8 may be somewhere in there. I prefer auto focus. I have yet to really start taking potraits shots, so since i already have the 18-55, might as well use it right?

You can check this thread of the pictures taken with the 'cheapo' lens like the 18-55.
    Hey its cool. Whatever floats your boat. It's cool to have a beater lens around too, especially when shooting near or close to water or sand or dusty environments. Just watch out for the plastic lens mount. The plastic tabs can break off if subjected to enough force.

I never dump my 18-55. I sold it with the camera it came with. And both my D90 and D300s I bought body only, since I already have a Tam 17-50. Many people dump it the first chance they got because they had this weird idea that a more expensive lens will somehow make their pictures better.

Nice thread... some of my pictures with the 18-55 are also inside.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 4th June 2010 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by penglee View Post
    another newbie here.

Lens is totally foreign to me, may i know whether clubsnap has explanations for :
    - lens (what the different markings mean)
    - whether can swap between nikon/canon etc?
    - recommended lens for tele/wide

I went to gallery, but could not sort by camera-models.
    I am also lookin at NikonD5000, or Canon500.

thanks.
    Every brand has their own set of acronyms, so it'd be an incredible waste of time to list them all here for you.
    If you're interested in Nikon lenses, look through Nikon's website. Same goes for Canon, Tamron, Sigma, etc.
    Exploring! :)

Hey its cool. Whatever floats your boat. It's cool to have a beater lens around too, especially when shooting near or close to water or sand or dusty environments. Just watch out for the plastic lens mount. The plastic tabs can break off if subjected to enough force.

I never dump my 18-55. I sold it with the camera it came with. And both my D90 and D300s I bought body only, since I already have a Tam 17-50. Many people dump it the first chance they got because they had this weird idea that a more expensive lens will somehow make their pictures better.

Nice thread... some of my pictures with the 18-55 are also inside.
    My beater lens is the 18-135 D80 kit lens
    it still works perfectly!
    that was the reason why I suggested selling away the 18-55. Not that it's lousy or the cash is needed. Just that it's a waste to leave it in the dry cabi all the time.
    Exploring! :)

I agree fully that the 18-55mm is a great piece of glass..I use it for a long time before selling... and I was rather reluctant to do so...but I just can't stand the fact that I wud b keeping it in the dry cabinet and not using it...so whatever I don't use, I wud selll...
    anyway, portrait using 18-105 and 18-55mm..I really think 18-105 would give better result with the longer end...if compare both at 55mm, I really can't tell the diff is there any diff?

nice thread, I posted my photos using the great 18-55 too
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Blog Entries

My beater lens is the 18-135 D80 kit lens
    it still works perfectly!
    that was the reason why I suggested selling away the 18-55. Not that it's lousy or the cash is needed. Just that it's a waste to leave it in the dry cabi all the time.
    Yup... I thought rather than letting the lens doing nothing in the dry cab, it could be sold, and the money go towards a 50/1.8 which would make a good pairing with the 18-105 and 35/1.8

...Many people dump it the first chance they got because they had this weird idea that a more expensive lens will somehow make their pictures better.
    yeah, i think so too i guess they thought it will also make them a better photographer

No offense to those with ex lenses, just my 2-cents.

Hi guys. Wanna ask you smth. Is $1095 for a D5000 kit expensive? It comes with free memory card, free nikon tripod(i plan to swap it with another card if the shop allows) and a cleaning kit and maybe smth else. Cant rmbr. What you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerPh0t0z View Post
    Hi guys. Wanna ask you smth. Is $1095 for a D5000 kit expensive? It comes with free memory card, free nikon tripod(i plan to swap it with another card if the shop allows) and a cleaning kit and maybe smth else. Cant rmbr. What you guys think?
    No idea but I would check Price List section, then go to a few reputable camera shops that I can trust then find out what's the catch if pricing is too low.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    No idea but I would check Price List section, then go to a few reputable camera shops that I can trust then find out what's the catch if pricing is too low.
    Heh. The thing is the price list is outdated alr. The latest price there is $1155 which i find it very steep. Maybe i will scout ard multiple shops first.

Blog Entries

Heh. The thing is the price list is outdated alr. The latest price there is $1155 which i find it very steep. Maybe i will scout ard multiple shops first.
    Nothing does the trick better than making a few calls to the reputable shops. And asking for e-quote from CP using email. Select the best price, and buy with confidence.

Blog Entries

yeah, i think so too i guess they thought it will also make them a better photographer

No offense to those with ex lenses, just my 2-cents.
    But you need to know that, as you get better in your skills, you will realize you want those ex lenses, to achieve some of the effects you want in your shots.

But you need to know that, as you get better in your skills, you will realize you want those ex lenses, to achieve some of the effects you want in your shots.
    As i said before, im still learning and in no rush to learn all of it at once, taking it all at my own pace.

Blog Entries

As i said before, im still learning and in no rush to learn all of it at once, taking it all at my own pace.
    Yup. Only get stuff that you need. And when you get there, you will know exactly what you need.

It would help to have people who are calling shops up to update the mods so that they can keep the price in the list updated also
    Last edited by wildcat; 7th June 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast