Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: some advice for a thought of mine.

Default Re: some advice for a thought of mine.

i would get the tamron 18-55 which is better because it is f2.8 perfect for portraits and usable for landscapes incase you need wide.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmateosong View Post
    i would get the tamron 18-55 which is better because it is f2.8 perfect for portraits and usable for landscapes incase you need wide.
    Now I'm getting confused.
    Tamron is only has 17-50 f2.8 right?
    And that is what TS is using currently?

ok really thanks alot for the suggestions that were particularly useful from Numnumball, night86mare, ZerocoolAstra, pokiemon, zac08, Melvinshot, yc2005.

just intended to hear more opinions of whether should i sell my 17-50 and replace with 28-75, which i tot it should be obvious i am seeking opinion for this reason, not because 17mm useful for landscape or not. because if it is not, then i should be getting a UWA instead of 28-75. :/ But like wad Entity explained, its true also. i would probably prefer to keep less lenses bcos i may need to sell them off in order to buy new ones mah. *budget constraints*

I didn't know that there would be misunderstandings in my improper phrasing, i apologize. I am just saying i do not favour 17mm range during this period of use.

And i do not know wad johnmateosong is talking abt a tamron 18-55 because there is no such lens...:S

---My current options i am thinking is either as wad some suggested..
    add canon 70-200 f4 IS to complement,
    sell 17-50, get canon 24-105 f4 L as a general lens so i dun have to swap around when travelling light..
    sell 17-50, get tamron 28-75 f2.8... cheap n affordable.. lol.
    Last edited by hoho85; 1st June 2010 at 09:16 AM.
    I love Tamron.

hmm, not very new suggestion, but I seriously think a 18-200mm + flash is what you need?
    Juz my opinion, I am fine with my 28-300mm most of the time, but there are surely occasions when 28mm on a DX is tight...and the minimum focus distance
    since you have emphasized on "traveling light", then I'll vote for canon 24-105 f4 L coz if you like close up, then you shd most likely feel "zoom's nv enough"...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by hoho85 View Post
    sell 17-50, get canon 24-105 f4 L as a general lens so i dun have to swap around when travelling light..
    i strongly suggest you get a telephoto.

swapping around not that mar fun la.

Hi hoho85, having the hindsight of prior usage, i guess u will be the best to tell whether u need the wider end or not. As much as I love using wide lenses, I love using telephotos to shoot landscapes to get a more compressed perspective and singling out particular details / patterns.

between the two i would favor the 24-105 for that little more coverage as a single general zoom lens ( of course factoring in the crop factor )

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    As much as I love using wide lenses, I love using telephotos to shoot landscapes to get a more compressed perspective and singling out particular details / patterns.

ryan
    ok really thanks alot for the suggestions that were particularly useful from Numnumball, night86mare, ZerocoolAstra, pokiemon, zac08, Melvinshot, yc2005.

just intended to hear more opinions of whether should i sell my 17-50 and replace with 28-75, which i tot it should be obvious i am seeking opinion for this reason, not because 17mm useful for landscape or not. because if it is not, then i should be getting a UWA instead of 28-75. :/ But like wad Entity explained, its true also. i would probably prefer to keep less lenses bcos i may need to sell them off in order to buy new ones mah. *budget constraints*

I didn't know that there would be misunderstandings in my improper phrasing, i apologize. I am just saying i do not favour 17mm range during this period of use.

If I'm reading correctly, it seems that TS is not really into scenery...in this case, a telephoto is really what you need. If you like close up expressions of human, then 28-75 f2.8 can give you slightly more reach than your 17-50mm..but you sacrifice the 17~42mm effective focal length..

btw, is 18-200mm out of question for TS? not considering?
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 1st June 2010 at 10:22 AM.
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

hi ovaltinemilo i did consider 18-200mm before. but do correct me if i am wrong, the image quality is proven not as gd performing in certain focal lengths and it surely is not able to do well in low light conditions when zoomed in, hence i think i am skipping this option. i read somewhere before also, that as the wide-long range gets bigger, the more the picture quality aspects will get compromised for the convenience. no sure how true but i suppose it should be right.

sigh. its always this dilemma when money is a problem. if not i whack all already :P
    I love Tamron.

hi ovaltinemilo i did consider 18-200mm before. but do correct me if i am wrong, the image quality is proven not as gd performing in certain focal lengths and it surely is not able to do well in low light conditions when zoomed in, hence i think i am skipping this option. i read somewhere before also, that as the wide-long range gets bigger, the more the picture quality aspects will get compromised for the convenience. no sure how true but i suppose it should be right.

sigh. its always this dilemma when money is a problem. if not i whack all already :P
    you are right...most telephotos are like that..can't expect them to maintain good image quality throughout the focal length...anyway, a 18-200mm with f5.6@200mm is very good already..any better got to consider prime lens..

If you are really interested in 28-75 f2.8, have you checked out how it performs at 75mm? I am not hinting anything here as I'm not sure about this lens, but hope you did research before buying..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    you are right...most telephotos are like that..can't expect them to maintain good image quality throughout the focal length...anyway, a 18-200mm with f5.6@200mm is very good already..any better got to consider prime lens..

If you are really interested in 28-75 f2.8, have you checked out how it performs at 75mm? I am not hinting anything here as I'm not sure about this lens, but hope you did research before buying..
    yup u are right bro.

in fact i rented 28-75mm before i got myself 17-50. the 75mm bokeh n sharpness is wonderful for a zoom lens. then my friends suggest i wont go wrong with a wider angle. ya and so boomz now i am in this dilemma of needing more length instead. this is roughly the story. haha.
    I love Tamron.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12