Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaDiver View Post
    this one i somehow agree...
    well. singapore is just 50 years old. most of us here are 2nd or 3rd gen of singaporeans u could say. how singaporean are we really? we still need ndp songs blasted at us and saying of pledge daily for the schling ppl. possibly needed to build up national identity etc. hard to say.

either way, singapore tries hard to be north korea in a sense its quite funny the similiarities

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post

The least the TT council can do is to maintain a mix of both local and imports in competitions, at least there is something for our own to strive for. So what if we can't be the best?
    oh yeah, that's really cool... can imagine the coach telling the players:

"hi guys, we have to maintain a mix of both local and imports, so because of this, even though XXX is much better than YYY, XXX will be benched and can't play this match"

i think if i am XXX, who left my home country to play for singapore, i will 拍拍屁股 and walk off.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    oh yeah, that's really cool... can imagine the coach telling the players:

"hi guys, we have to maintain a mix of both local and imports, so because of this, even though XXX is much better than YYY, XXX will be benched and can't play this match"

i think if i am XXX, who left my home country to play for singapore, i will 拍拍屁股 and walk off.
    Much better than telling the local girls... "you all wait long long, have chance one".

Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    I think can't compare like that...one is employment, whereby globalisation is acceptable to me. It is business where the objective is to make money.

In this case, these FT are representing Singapore, carrying the flag for our country. What it says if the person carrying Singapore flag is not a local? Pride is not something that money can buy.
    wai,

what is a true singaporean?
    Last edited by night86mare; 31st May 2010 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    Much better than telling the local girls... "you all wait long long, have chance one".

next time, in primary schools, must also put handicap on all hardworking foreign students, minus ten marks from all their tests so that the locals have a chance to top the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post

Is Ang Peng Siong not big physically? If my memory is right, he is in the upper 1.8m, maybe close to 1.9m. Is Michael Phelps not big? he is 1.95m. Liu Xiang is 1.88m. Christino Ronaldo is 1.85m. Of course you get the occasional Maradona, Lionel Messi at 1.7m. But then most others towers above them. NBA players are near 2 m. And height is just one thing. The physique of these people are also of a much larger frame - broader shoulders, more muscles mass, more tensile strength, better agility, etc.
    kosuke kitajima, japan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosuke_Kitajima

Height 1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)
    Weight 73 kg (160 lb; 11.5 st)

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    Sir, not too long there was a tv programme in which a local chinese (Singapore Born Chinese) was ask - What is your race? He pause for awhile and answered - I'm a Singaporean, cos he die die doesn't want to acknowledge he is a Chinese. He is a pure Singaporean.
    I see you got my point...I rest my case.......
    Last edited by Danntbt; 31st May 2010 at 06:22 PM.

next time, in primary schools, must also put handicap on all hardworking foreign students, minus ten marks from all their tests so that the locals have a chance to top the standard.

If you want to take such different context to compare, I have nothing to argue about.

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    and someone mentioned being smaller size got disadvantage, please watch these video, he is a boxing lightweight world champion!!
    an asian, from Philippine.
    When you compete with people of the same size, of course there is no disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by kohweeloon View Post
    To be a true singaporean, only war time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaDiver View Post
    this one i somehow agree...

so if you guys are holding a pink ic (ie. Singaporeans) do you consider your Singaporeans?

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    so if you guys are holding a pink ic (ie. Singaporeans) do you consider your Singaporeans?
    Well... Just my own opinion to it... too much debate over whats the requirement to be a true Singaporean...

Well... Those china girls in our Singapore table tennis team should have a pink ic too... So do u consider them a true Singapore?

Enough debate for me guys enjoy the disscusion... I'm getting out of here...
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...

Again, when the TT women's team has been mentioned, the same old topics will surface. Singapore did not win the M'sia cup with a true Singapore squad then. There is Abbas Saad, Alistair Edwards and who else I cannot remember. Why not have so much discussion back then? Are Singaporeans ostracizing chinese immigrants? I think Singaporeans should have realized by now that once you step out of Singapore, you are nothing. The almighty "I am from Singapore" attitude no longer holds true. The world is more interested about China than Singapore.

Let the girls enjoy their glory. This is their moment. Let's not let these unnecessary topics take anything away from their achievement.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 31st May 2010 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries

may not be true. not all are hardworking students. and most are much older than singaporeans. on avg, fts happen to be abt 1-2 years older than their sg counterparts.

as usual, i'm still not happy for my psle score. ><
    lost by 2 marks to an ft long ago. and she was 2 years older.

one year 1 mark more only

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    may not be true. not all are hardworking students. and most are much older than singaporeans. on avg, fts happen to be abt 1-2 years older than their sg counterparts.

as usual, i'm still not happy for my psle score. ><
    lost by 2 marks to an ft long ago. and she was 2 years older.

one year 1 mark more only
    believe me, i think i can find a 10 year old kid smarter than many 12 year olds.

age is just an excuse.

Blog Entries

believe me, i think i can find a 10 year old kid smarter than many 12 year olds.

age is just an excuse.
    comparing maturity between perhaps a 10 and a 12, it is a big difference.
    even just a 16 and a 18-19, there is also a big difference.

and its a factor. i wont say its impossible that someone younger can > someone older seeing i won another ft by 1 point at psle. just didnt like being second

jokes aside, there is a general trend that fts aged older tends to perform better. at least in my sch.
    its a question that i still cant figure out, why do schs allocate them in such a way?
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 31st May 2010 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    comparing maturity between perhaps a 10 and a 12, it is a big difference.
    even just a 16 and a 18-19, there is also a big difference.
    oh, right, so that explains why some 14 year olds shoot better than 40 year olds. maturity and age.

age is not a representation of maturity or ability. i don't think i got any more intelligent as i got older.

that kind of thinking is what starts the top-down attitude of "hey, i'm older, so you jolly well listen to me"

those 2 marks were lost because you didn't do enough to get them, don't think the foreigner had 2 more years to study for the same exam. don't think the foreigner also had added advantage of more brain space.. after all, it's only 2 marks.

next up, girls in university complaining that guys are 2 years older because of NS, so they kept getting outdone.
    Last edited by night86mare; 31st May 2010 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Again, when the TT women's team has been mentioned, the same old topics will surface. Singapore did not win the M'sia cup with a true Singapore squad then. There is Abbas Saad, Alistair Edwards and who else I cannot remember. Why not have so much discussion back then? Are Singaporeans ostracizing chinese immigrants? I think Singaporeans should have realized by now that once you step out of Singapore, you are nothing. The almighty "I am from Singapore" attitude no longer holds true. The world is more interested about China than Singapore.

Let the girls enjoy their glory. This is their moment. Let's not let these unnecessary topics take anything away from their achievement.
    That was the FAM Semi-Pro League, then later the M-League. It was club level football, not international football. Therefore, the league rules allowed up to three foreigners to be signed up per team. And Singapore played under the FAS badge, not the national flag.

Probably it's a good idea to do some research first, eh?

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and that includes the naysayers.
    Last edited by synapseman; 1st June 2010 at 12:11 AM.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

No, back then, it was not club football. Those playing represent the states (with the exception of arm forces and police). Back then, we felt the glory because the S'pore squad represent us - Singapore. Just like what the girls do now.

guys - it's not about the size. it's about the genes.

look compare some singaporean dude...same height as michael jordan. do you think he can jump as high?

sorry to say but singaporeans have inferior genes for many sports.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    That was the FAM Semi-Pro League, then later the M-League. It was club level football, not international football. Therefore, the league rules allowed up to three foreigners to be signed up per team. And Singapore played under the FAS badge, not the national flag.

Probably it's a good idea to do some research first, eh?

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and that includes the naysayers.
    It is a league alright but you missed the point. The point is can Singapore win it without the foreign imports? Obviously, Singapore's best in Fandi, Sundram and supersub Steven is not enough. So what is the fuss about the chinese girls winning it for Singapore.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast