Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

Aiya, why singapore don't import those star soccer players in Singapore, aiming for the next worldcup?? Table tennis not hip enough.. Get a few stars and our soccer team will be famous.
    flickr
    ... I'm not a photographer yet.....

I can't wait to see angmoks swimming for us and blacks running for us in the near future.
    Provided my country can afford them...
    Find me beauty, find me kindness, find me truth...

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    I would like to see true Singaporean
    WHO is a true Singaporean?
    How do you define a True Singaporean?
    What make a person to become a true Singaporean?
    When can a person be a true Singapore?

anyone who make statements similar to the above, be Man enough to let us appreciate your viewpoints
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    If we can't win, then so be it. So our current TT standards is so high now, then wat? Definitely to continue bringing more over here to maintain the standards. What's the point?

I can accept Li Jiawei who came at a young age and was indeed being groomed here. But Feng Tianwei & Wang Yue Gu + the male team are obviously short cuts taken by the Sports Council for quick success.

Anyway it was never the girls' fault but the Sports Council who took such an approach for glory.

Many years ago, I supported Jing Jun Hong who I definitely have no problem calling a Singaporean. Her presence then does raise the standards of our TT team. But now, I just dun feel a thing.
    It is very naive to think that importing Chinese players is a shortcut to success. If you think so, then you should look no further than those countries who are likewise using Chinese imports like HK, Germany, Australia, etc. These countries are even in a better position to shortcut their routes to the top given that their imports have better pedigree than ours. Many of them were ex China national squad players like Tie Yana of HK and many others if you care to dig out their profile. But, having them is no guarantee to instant success. None of them have so far managed to crack the Chinese dominance. In order to do so, the host country have to have a top notch coaching system, excellence environment, support, etc. We are one up compared to other countries using Chinese imports. Don't forget, ours are Chinese rejects who have never had a chance to make it to the Chinese national squad. We trained and groomed them to what they are today and the Chinese cannot claim credit for our Chinese imports' victory. All the credits are ours!!!
    Last edited by redstorm; 31st May 2010 at 11:28 AM.

I think the main issue here (which crops up time and again!) is not so much that these sportswomen were originally from China. But like I said, and others have pointed out, it's just not our culture to be in sports. So there's a certain mismatch which we feel uneasy about.

Eg: If you are overseas and someone asks you: So you're from singapore. Are you guys into sports? What sort of sports are you guys good at?

What would your reply to the above question be? Suppose you say Table tennis, knowing that the table tennis sportswomen here have done well in this area.

Then the next question would be: Ok, so you guys have lots of table tennis training in your schools and your kids are like playing it often?

Immediately you know it's not true. That's where the mismatch is. You start to feel uneasy. How can you say your country (Singapore) has done well in this particular area in sports when it's not even an overall culture or habit?

So it's natural to think the players did well cos they were from China. Singapore is only using money to buy them over and train them. Yes we can get credit from this but the feeling is not shiok. It just doesn't feel real.

Like I said, if another country can provide equal opportunity, funding and the right environment, those players can also do equally well and bring glory to them. So what's so great about Singapore? It's just that we have the money to "buy" sports.

Some people may argue, well other countries also have imports. But they are different. France did well in soccer with imports. But many of them are true immigrants from young. And the people there are really genuinely crazy over that sport. In any case, many countries with foreign imports don't even have to depend on the imports to bring them glory. NZ might have imported a Chinese table tennis player. But table tennis ain't big in NZ. So naturally the import will not do so well. No big deal for them. (Actually, table tennis ain't big internationally. It's very much an Asian sport.) But NZ is big on rugby and the people there can be proud of it. It's their national sport. You'd not be a New Zealander if you don't play rugby in school or at least follow the sport.

When you go to Australia, you can see many people, young and old, into swimming. It's not surprising. They've got beautiful beaches, solid indoor pools, they've got water everywhere. Is it surprising they win so many Olympic medal? No.

You go to America, you see citizens supporting their teams -- never mind they are far from the best, in American football, baseball and NBAs. Is it any surprise the Americans are so good in those sports? No.

You go Japan, you see school kids in baseball suits eager to play baseball. I go to Japan in winter I see lots ( I mean really lots!) of kids eagerly wanting to ski and have fun. Is it surprising the Japanese are into those sports and can perform well? No.

Now Singapore... Table tennis. Now one of the world's best. How often do you see our kids carrying table tennis bats in school wanting to eagerly play it? How often do you see us local people talking about table tennis in coffee shops, MRTs, and other public places? As good as zero.

It's only always when the women win something then everyone go, Yeah Singapore can! Go go go! Blah blah.... Don't you all think it's so artificial?

Besides table tennis, it applies to all other sports in Singapore. We simply don't have it. Making money from other careers is definitely more important than sports. It's hard to pretend and be fully patriotic when you know it's just not in our blood. You can be patriotic in other areas, but not so much in sports.
    Last edited by kiwi2; 31st May 2010 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    It's only always when the women win something then everyone go, Yeah Singapore can! Go go go! Blah blah.... Don't you all think it's so artificial?

Besides table tennis, it applies to all other sports in Singapore. We simply don't have it. Making money from other careers is definitely more important than sports. It's hard to pretend and be fully patriotic when you know it's just not in our blood. You can be patriotic in other areas, but not so much in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    How did you get all biased info from?

So you are essentially saying, to excel in sports, you need to be BIG. I mean, physically BIG. And you're saying people in Singapore are not BIG enough and they don't have the physique to be in sports. Rubbish. That's certainly not true.

How big is Ang Peng Siong? By world class standards, he is far from big. In fact, if he were on the MRT train, he wouln't even stand out physically. There are many other Singaporeans just like him, if not bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Anyway, are S'porean genes that different from say, Malaysian, Indonesian and Thai genes? I'm assuming you're talking from a biological/scientific standpoint. They've produced world class athletes on quite a consistent basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i also agree that being big has little to do with winning sports.

don't think michael phelps is particularly enormous.... i'm sure we could easily find 10 singapore swimmers larger and even more aesthetically pleasing than his appearance body-wise, but he would outswim them any day.
    I have to add on that I am refering to physical sports, the likes of football, basketball, rugby, track and field, swimming, volleyball, etc.

Is Ang Peng Siong not big physically? If my memory is right, he is in the upper 1.8m, maybe close to 1.9m. Is Michael Phelps not big? he is 1.95m. Liu Xiang is 1.88m. Christino Ronaldo is 1.85m. Of course you get the occasional Maradona, Lionel Messi at 1.7m. But then most others towers above them. NBA players are near 2 m. And height is just one thing. The physique of these people are also of a much larger frame - broader shoulders, more muscles mass, more tensile strength, better agility, etc.

You mean the average Singaporean is now at 1.85m? I would think it is still quite far from it. Those tall ones that I see in Singapore are usually bean poles. Yes, every now and then you see a good size Singapore male, maybe 1.8+ with broad shoulders. But most are still hovering in the 1.75m range. Put your common Singapore man in a NZ rugby team, NBA team, Australia swim team, US track and field, Russia volleyball, etc. and he will look like a dwarf.

What World Champ have Msia, Indo and Thai produced? Maybe badminton, Sepak Takraw, Thai boxing. I think the people from our region would do well in sports such as bowling, TT, badminton, fencing, snooker, etc and for the rich and well connected, motoring and horse related.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 31st May 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    WHO is a true Singaporean?
    How do you define a True Singaporean?
    What make a person to become a true Singaporean?
    When can a person be a true Singapore?

anyone who make statements similar to the above, be Man enough to let us appreciate your viewpoints
    To be a true singaporean, only war time will tell.

Does winning this give more pride to Singaporeans than the victorious runs in the Malaysia Cup? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by kohweeloon View Post
    To fuse the line a bit more. There are a lot of Singaporean who always think the grass is greener on the other side and ready to quit. And not all people who did NS will stay and fight during a war. There are a lot of fair weather people around. So who can claim to be true blue Singaporean. I think Singapore has sort of lost its identity.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Does winning this give more pride to Singaporeans than the victorious runs in the Malaysia Cup? I don't think so.
    Actually I enjoyed the Malaysia cup, even if it is just participanting in it. I pity the children of today do not have the chance to absorb in the kind of atmosphere in supporting the home team. FAS should have just given in to the added financial demands.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 31st May 2010 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    It is time to embrace foreign home grown talents. If they don't feel welcomed, they will just pack up, find a chinese husband and go.

World Champions have any money incentives. Hope they each get a million dollars.
    Our good TTA chairman already 'highlighted' that there will be NO incentives. Hope she gets the limelight again.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Then no one is a true Singaporean as there's no way to defend Singapore when war arise...
    Find me beauty, find me kindness, find me truth...

Blog Entries

hmm. when war arise, just run for ur life. and make sure u dun die can liao. as well as ur close ones.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    hmm. when war arise, just run for ur life. and make sure u dun die can liao. as well as ur close ones.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    It is very naive to think that importing Chinese players is a shortcut to success. If you think so, then you should look no further than those countries who are likewise using Chinese imports like HK, Germany, Australia, etc. These countries are even in a better position to shortcut their routes to the top given that their imports have better pedigree than ours. Many of them were ex China national squad players like Tie Yana of HK and many others if you care to dig out their profile. But, having them is no guarantee to instant success. None of them have so far managed to crack the Chinese dominance. In order to do so, the host country have to have a top notch coaching system, excellence environment, support, etc. We are one up compared to other countries using Chinese imports. Don't forget, ours are Chinese rejects who have never had a chance to make it to the Chinese national squad. We trained and groomed them to what they are today and the Chinese cannot claim credit for our Chinese imports' victory. All the credits are ours!!!
    Yes, it's a well known fact that ex-Chinese players are all around the world, but I'm not sure how many countries actually import a whole team like ours. Even if there are, I can't concur that because others are doing so, we have to.

When Chinese players were first imported to represent us, it was meant to provide a higher standard & competition and to spur our own sportmen & women on. Now, most of our own local players are probably demoralized and know there will never be a day they can move up the pecking order, because new Chinese players will come when the old ones are passed their peak, especially now that we MUST maintain our current No 2 position in the world.

The least the TT council can do is to maintain a mix of both local and imports in competitions, at least there is something for our own to strive for. So what if we can't be the best?

And pls dun think these Chinese rejects are just ordinary players before they came. They might not be the best in China at that moment but definitely has huge potential and among the best. Feng Tianwei came to S'pore ard Mar 2007 & represent us a few months later. She even defeated Zhang Yining in 2008 and displaced Li Jiawei soon as our top player, pls dun tell me it's because of our superb grooming that she is flying. The only thing we have given them is a chance to compete at the highest level which they otherwise had no chance in their own country, but at the same time, deprive our own of this honour.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyfoxy View Post
    Aiya, why singapore don't import those star soccer players in Singapore, aiming for the next worldcup?? Table tennis not hip enough.. Get a few stars and our soccer team will be famous.
    you think very cheap huh? you think those English soccer players play for free huh? you think Singapore can effort to hire them? got sponsor or not? Singapore tooooo small, sponsor wont waste money on us...

like what redstorm said, you think people plays sport for passion?

maybe only on Anime

Last edited by ninelives; 31st May 2010 at 05:21 PM.
    Objection !!!

and someone mentioned being smaller size got disadvantage, please watch these video, he is a boxing lightweight world champion!!
    an asian, from Philippine.

Last edited by ninelives; 31st May 2010 at 05:35 PM.
    Objection !!!

this one i somehow agree...
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...

Quote Originally Posted by BananaDiver View Post
    this one i somehow agree...
    Objection !!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast