Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Who is Kendrick Lee? Actually, let's face it. Singapore genes are not the type that will excel in global conpetitive sports no matter how hard you train, how young you start, how talented you are. Just look at water polo. No matter how mighty they are regionally, they can't compete with the bigger boys in Asia, not to mention the world. The only one that came close is Ang Peng Siong that once set the world's fastest time of 50m free. He is quite a big man. How many Singaporean actually have that type of physique?
    How did you get all biased info from?

So you are essentially saying, to excel in sports, you need to be BIG. I mean, physically BIG. And you're saying people in Singapore are not BIG enough and they don't have the physique to be in sports. Rubbish. That's certainly not true.

How big is Ang Peng Siong? By world class standards, he is far from big. In fact, if he were on the MRT train, he wouln't even stand out physically. There are many other Singaporeans just like him, if not bigger.

Big is not everything. There are many areas in sports where physical size is not an issue. In fact, it could be a hinderance. For eg, consider a gymnast or marathon runner.

The reason why Singapore is not good in sports is that we don't have the culture here. And the cost of living and lifestyle makes sports a VERY precarious career here.

Some say oh the population is too small. Rubbish. There are many countries with small populations but they can win Olympics with their native sportsmen and women. Switzerland is a good eg.

I remember an American speaker gave some analogies about sports to make his point and he apologized cos he said Singapore does not have a sports culture. Even he knows it!

The government is doing a good job at bringing foreign players here. It's a win-win situation. We get the recognition while the players get the possibility to excel here where in their home country, they could have remained a nobody. Otherwise, till today, Singapore will still be the old Singapore in sports. Pathetic.

I have mixed feelings about the table tennis women. To me, as long as they can get the right environment and chance, and with enough fundings, they can excel anywhere. It's only a matter of where they can get the opportunity. Singapore is the one place. But they could have very well been in other countries and given the other countries' glory. I'm happy for them. They are good in their sport intrinsically.

Unfortunately, deep down, we know we don't have that sporting culture. When any sports person wins here, we go Wow wow wow! Yeah Go Singapore! But before that, where is the talk? Do we follow their progress? No. Do we know much about their biodata? Likely No. We know more about foreign EPLs than our own local soccer players. We root for the teams that could win. What kind of sporting culture is that?
    Last edited by kiwi2; 31st May 2010 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    Hahha... I see prettier girls in uni days and on the streets.... I cant understand that either.
    Is embarrassing sometimes to look at the contestants....I salute them for their courage Only.
    i think that in singapore there is little glory and real fame associated with being miss singapore.

i mean, let's be honest, other than the few here and there, who has really benefitted from winning the title?

another one is singapore idol.

Who is Kendrick Lee? Actually, let's face it. Singapore genes are not the type that will excel in global conpetitive sports no matter how hard you train, how young you start, how talented you are. Just look at water polo. No matter how mighty they are regionally, they can't compete with the bigger boys in Asia, not to mention the world. The only one that came close is Ang Peng Siong that once set the world's fastest time of 50m free. He is quite a big man. How many Singaporean actually have that type of physique?
    I am of the opinion that it's not so much a matter of where our representatives are born.

It's more of, are they a product of our system?

Like someone says, if it's a short-cut route to success, then I'm not so sure I'd want to brag out loud about these achievements.

Anyway, are S'porean genes that different from say, Malaysian, Indonesian and Thai genes? I'm assuming you're talking from a biological/scientific standpoint. They've produced world class athletes on quite a consistent basis.

btw, Who is Kendrick Lee? Top S'porean badminton player who has decided to quit the sport to pursue his studies. A very common occurence amongst our elite school-going/pre-tertiary education athletes. I think our problem is more of a social one: We don't have a sporting culture. Generally apathetic, not much passion for sport. (We don't even have "live" TV coverage of this TT tournament!).

Ask yourself: Next time you become parent, your kid says next time grow up want to play table tennis for a living. What will your first reaction be?

I guess import from China would be the much easier option.

Well done to the team, and I know they've worked hard for this. But to be honest, my feeling is that it really was a "China A vs China B" match, so I'm not yet ready to embrace this as a S'porean victory just for the sake of political correctness.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    We know more about foreign EPLs than our own local soccer players. We root for the teams that could win. What kind of sporting culture is that?
    this is very true.

i also agree that being big has little to do with winning sports.

don't think michael phelps is particularly enormous.... i'm sure we could easily find 10 singapore swimmers larger and even more aesthetically pleasing than his appearance body-wise, but he would outswim them any day.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i think that in singapore there is little glory and real fame associated with being miss singapore.

i mean, let's be honest, other than the few here and there, who has really benefitted from winning the title?

another one is singapore idol.
    MSU competition has been relegated to a shopping mall event.

SI is really an audition for the next 7-Eleven posterboy.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    SI is really an audition for the next 7-Eleven posterboy.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Unfortunately, deep down, we know we don't have that sporting culture. When any sports person wins here, we go Wow wow wow! Yeah Go Singapore! But before that, where is the talk? Do we follow their progress? No. Do we know much about their biodata? Likely No. We know more about foreign EPLs than our own local soccer players. We root for the teams that could win. What kind of sporting culture is that?
    Eh, but I remember the Straight Times and ChannelFye news report big-big that S'pore is World No. 2 "Ultimate Sports City", leh!

CONGRATS SINGAPORE! If your read the report on TODAY...WOW the fighting spirit!
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

and i obviously belongs to the latter....i want to see ronaldo singing marjula singapure.....ahahah..how many million also will be seen worth it...hahha

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    and i obviously belongs to the latter....i want to see ronaldo singing marjula singapure.....ahahah..how many million also will be seen worth it...hahha
    Which Ronaldo? Fat one or skinny one?

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    CONGRATS SINGAPORE! If your read the report on TODAY...WOW the fighting spirit!
    psychologically, they are more determine to crush the China chinese team to prove a point.

They originate frm China rite
    indie

Blog Entries

GIC should have used the money they lost to buy Inter , Chelsea and Barcelona ..... and Jose Murihno ..... the World Cup should be in Jalan Besar FAS office within less than 10 years
    Last edited by ed9119; 31st May 2010 at 10:20 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

There was rumors that there will be PH if SG got Gold in the the Olympic games.. So.. will there be PH for this one? heehee..

Come'on a World champion is much more significant than Olympic Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    GIC should have used the money they lost to buy Inter , Chelsea and Barcelona ..... and Jose Murihno ..... the World Cup should be in Jalan Besar FAS office within less than 10 years

Eh, but I remember the Straight Times and ChannelFye news report big-big that S'pore is World No. 2 "Ultimate Sports City", leh!
    world no.2 sports city? oh....

amazing man!!!! how come i don't know ...

wa sg everything also world class leh.... beri the good

the SingPass also world class... till now only support IE... firefox cannot be used... waaaaa....

so amazing!!! so amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauche View Post
    where is Zhang YiNing?
    if she is there, this thread won't exists.

I am of the opinion that it's not so much a matter of where our representatives are born.

It's more of, are they a product of our system?

Like someone says, if it's a short-cut route to success, then I'm not so sure I'd want to brag out loud about these achievements.

Anyway, are S'porean genes that different from say, Malaysian, Indonesian and Thai genes? I'm assuming you're talking from a biological/scientific standpoint. They've produced world class athletes on quite a consistent basis.

btw, Who is Kendrick Lee? Top S'porean badminton player who has decided to quit the sport to pursue his studies. A very common occurence amongst our elite school-going/pre-tertiary education athletes. I think our problem is more of a social one: We don't have a sporting culture. Generally apathetic, not much passion for sport. (We don't even have "live" TV coverage of this TT tournament!).

Ask yourself: Next time you become parent, your kid says next time grow up want to play table tennis for a living. What will your first reaction be?

I guess import from China would be the much easier option.

Well done to the team, and I know they've worked hard for this. But to be honest, my feeling is that it really was a "China A vs China B" match, so I'm not yet ready to embrace this as a S'porean victory just for the sake of political correctness.

i do agreed that these TT ladies, even though they are from China, do SG proud.. bcos SG trained them... so i always tell myself that if they win, we singaporeans can take half the glory... i am 100% sure if a sg born and raised won, we will be happier... or at least more sg will be happier..

but i am not sure if it is worth the $$ to spend so much on these foreign talents....

it is like u cannot take good photo.. nvm lah... get someone to take for u lah.... why not try your VERY best to learn... even if u fail , it is ok... it is the spirit... never say die... i prefer this way than using shortcut... one will never improve using this kid of method..

"oh, here come the big bad foreigners to steal our jobs, take our wives, and impose their habits on us."

it's globalisation, live with it. it happens in most major cities in the world.
    I think can't compare like that...one is employment, whereby globalisation is acceptable to me. It is business where the objective is to make money.

In this case, these FT are representing Singapore, carrying the flag for our country. What it says if the person carrying Singapore flag is not a local? Pride is not something that money can buy.

Blog Entries

the english national soccer team has all-english players, or at least players who have a strong claim to being english....

but they are coached by an italian.

if we all want to be so nationalistic, let's just push it all the way, make sure everyone involved in a country's sporting glory comes from that country, shan't we?
    nah. but i find it defeating the purpose of having nations in it. my take is that sports shld be individualistic, where u win for urself. having a nation makes it totally wrong.

like. if our pingpong queens are good, they will be good irregardless of where they are now. they just happen to be in signapore now, and i dunno if china is happy that their ex-citizens are now with us.

same for many fts.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast