Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 129

Thread: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

  1. #21

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    we should be proud of them, foreign talents

    must import more! displace singaporeans and perform better!!!
    pedantic.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Dun blame it on lip service. It is a 2-way kind of thing. The government can implement measures to encourage more locals to take up a particular sports but on the other hand, are Singaporeans prepared to do so? As in any sports, there is no guarantee for success even if you get top grade coaching, best facilities, etc. The "lifespan" of a sportsman is a short one compared to an working adult, very few are even prepared to take the risk to embark on a full time sports career. Honestly, answer this question - are you prepared to send your kid to pursue a particular sports if he has huge potential at the expense of a good education???
    You need to spend ten of thounsand dollars and sacrifice time to send your child for training; and if luck is with him to make it to the top five in the national age group then they might consider your child. So in order for your child to have a slim hope to enjoy those policies, you need to be rich.
    I'm just a poor photographer.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    we should be proud of them, foreign talents

    must import more! displace singaporeans and perform better!!!
    hope that one day you will live overseas and have that attitude thrown at you.


  4. #24

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, it is always the system.

    http://www.ssc.gov.sg/publish/Corpor...on_Track_.html

    don't blame the system for bad mentality.

    just look at arts, there are scholarships in place for that field, we have our fair share of success stories (though most of them are based overseas); would your average singaporean parents encourage their kids to do arts, or sports?

    i can't tell you how many people i've met think that the average professional photographers live a hand-to-mouth existence.
    Thanks for the link. I read it with interest. But wondering how many of my bus drviers, and hawkers friends' children are able to enjoy it.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    Thanks for the link. I read it with interest. But wondering how many of my bus drviers, and hawkers friends' children are able to enjoy it.
    if they study in schools, they will benefit.

    from my experience and observations on school-level sports, you don't need to be rich to be a national team member.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hope that one day you will live overseas and have that attitude thrown at you.

    :
    what attitude?~
    pedantic.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    what attitude?~
    "oh, here come the big bad foreigners to steal our jobs, take our wives, and impose their habits on us."



    it's globalisation, live with it. it happens in most major cities in the world.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if they study in schools, they will benefit.

    from my experience and observations on school-level sports, you don't need to be rich to be a national team member.
    just take a look at all the swimmers and their background. If my son gonna wait for his neighborhood school to train, I will die laughing if he ever gonna to make it to the top 20.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    You need to spend ten of thounsand dollars and sacrifice time to send your child for training; and if luck is with him to make it to the top five in the national age group then they might consider your child. So in order for your child to have a slim hope to enjoy those policies, you need to be rich.
    I'm just a poor photographer.
    Yes, whether it is in sports or getting a tertiary education, alot of sacrifices need to be made especially financial one. And, sports is not one thing that can guarantee a good return compared to a good education. At least, with a good education, those who gone thru the university or polytechnics can be assured to a lifelong employment compared to sports where only a very small percentage of those who chose this line will make the grade to national level. Whether they can earn the huge incentives from getting gold, silver or bronze medals from international competitions is another matter. Singaporeans, being pragmatic and also partly not risk taker, would prefer the "safer" route i.e. education.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    "oh, here come the big bad foreigners to steal our jobs, take our wives, and impose their habits on us."



    it's globalisation, live with it. it happens in most major cities in the world.
    since when was i against that?

    we should have more real talents, than the faux ones that sneak into the system, both in sports, and in academics.
    pedantic.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Yes, whether it is in sports or getting a tertiary education, alot of sacrifices need to be made especially financial one. And, sports is not one thing that can guarantee a good return compared to a good education. At least, with a good education, those who gone thru the university or polytechnics can be assured to a lifelong employment compared to sports where only a very small percentage of those who chose this line will make the grade to national level. Whether they can earn the huge incentives from getting gold, silver or bronze medals from international competitions is another matter. Singaporeans, being pragmatic and also partly not risk taker, would prefer the "safer" route i.e. education.
    In China, it's a different story. I will not steal this thread. Congratulations to our girls.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    a notable achievement. Bravo

  13. #33

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    just take a look at all the swimmers and their background. If my son gonna wait for his neighborhood school to train, I will die laughing if he ever gonna to make it to the top 20.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/schoolsp...r_acsians.html

  14. #34
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    as usual, a check on hardwarezone doesn't disappoint:

    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2782242

    the talk centres around:

    1) girls
    2) singapore team not from singapore

    ah. imported talents

  15. #35

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    as usual, a check on hardwarezone doesn't disappoint:

    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2782242

    the talk centres around:

    1) girls
    2) singapore team not from singapore

    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

  16. #36

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    ah. imported talents
    the english national soccer team has all-english players, or at least players who have a strong claim to being english....

    but they are coached by an italian.

    if we all want to be so nationalistic, let's just push it all the way, make sure everyone involved in a country's sporting glory comes from that country, shan't we?

  17. #37

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
    nice quote.

  18. #38
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    I congratulate them and to our country... Cheers

    But I would like to see true Singaporean get the honours.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    made in china. assembled in singapore.

    who says money cannot buy anything?

    i am happy nevertheless. congrats!

  20. #40

    Default Re: Singapore women, the 2010 world table tennis champions.

    but the fact of the matter is this...singapore has limited capabilities due to our small population of 5 mio so we need to import talent.

    i would like the brains and physique of an israeli, sports genes of a black, looks of a north indian and family values of a chinese.
    Last edited by pokiemon; 31st May 2010 at 12:02 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •