Thread: 3rd party batteries for canon 5dmk2

Default 3rd party batteries for canon 5dmk2

anyone out there know abt the 3rd party battery for canon 5dmk2?? does it need an additional charger for the 3rd party batt? also does the original batt have any chip in it ? most impt is the price and recommendation.... thank u

Default Re: 3rd party batteries for canon 5dmk2

dont need additional charger. can use back your 5d mk2 canon charger.

just go to cathay and ask them for a third party battery. most of them have no brand. my nikon 3rd party battery says premium quality.

price anywhere between $30-45

I believe 5D2 and 7D canon original batteries have a buildin chip that 3rd party batteries do not have. So 3rd party batteries need a different charger. Also do note that the camera won't be able to display the 3rd partty battery status.

No you cant use original 5d2 charger to charge 3rd party battery

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post

just go to cathay and ask them for a third party battery. most of them have no brand. my nikon 3rd party battery says premium quality.

Care to share the exact type of 3rd party 5dii batt that can be used on orginal charger??
    I'll surely be interested in buying... Really troublesome to have to use 2 seperate chargers currently.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post

I also like to know which third party battery (for 5DM2) can be charge by original charger?

Quote Originally Posted by bEnd1ck View Post
    Care to share the exact type of 3rd party 5dii batt that can be used on orginal charger??
    I'll surely be interested in buying... Really troublesome to have to use 2 seperate chargers currently.
    Bro, your 3rd party charger can charge your original battery too...

Yah... third party 5dMkII batteries are a little troublesome as they:
    • Cannot be charged using 5dMkII's original charger
    • Do not contain the chip, thus the camera cannot read how much power is left in them

Other than that, they are a good deal because they cost about 4-5 times cheaper than the original Canon battery.

i would be seriously tempted to get 3rd party ones if they have chip inbuilt and accepts the original canon charger. but alas i already got 3 original batts before someone could come up with a chipped version.

ryan

I got my phottix 3party from a mass seller here. I also purchased a set from eBay. U can buy the battery package which comes with a charger and it's very cheap compared to the original lp-e6.

The advantage of a seperate charger is that u can charge 2 batteries simultanously instead of waiting for one to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    The advantage of a seperate charger is that u can charge 2 batteries simultanously instead of waiting for one to finish.
    the only problem with 2 separate chargers is very ley chey when travelling overseas .. the original charger charges pretty quick so not too bad

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    the only problem with 2 separate chargers is very ley chey when travelling overseas .. the original charger charges pretty quick so not too bad

ryan
    The cost of 1 original can buy 4 3rd party with spare change. Leave the original at come when travelling.