Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Canon Lens: Which one should I get?

  1. #1

    Default Canon Lens: Which one should I get?

    Hi I'm looking for a mid range prime lens for indoor photography and these are what I've come up with: Canon 35mm f/2, Canon 28mm f/1.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.4 to use on my 5DMark II.
    Any recommendations base on these requirements and the lenses I've picked out?

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,708

    Default Re: Canon Lens: Which one should I get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyzacky View Post
    Hi I'm looking for a mid range prime lens for indoor photography and these are what I've come up with: Canon 35mm f/2, Canon 28mm f/1.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.4 to use on my 5DMark II.
    Any recommendations base on these requirements and the lenses I've picked out?

    thanks!
    go for either 35mm f2 or 50mm f1.4

    for me i prefer 35mm

  3. #3

    Default Re: Canon Lens: Which one should I get?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    go for either 35mm f2 or 50mm f1.4

    for me i prefer 35mm
    any specific reason why not 28 f/1.8? I was leaning that way. HAHA

  4. #4
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,708

    Default Re: Canon Lens: Which one should I get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyzacky View Post
    any specific reason why not 28 f/1.8? I was leaning that way. HAHA
    i nvr tried 28mm before so cannot give comments...

    but comparing 35 and 50... 35 gives me a wider angle which i find for me good for all occasion shoots.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alexandra
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: Canon Lens: Which one should I get?

    try this - the 28 f/1.8 and the 50 f/1.8. that gives you both for a better price.

    I don 't think the 50 f/1.4 adds that much value over the f/1.8. Do your research, and if you are like me you find a few articles that say about the 50 1/4 "a bit soft wide open but very sharp once you stop down'... what is the point of paying the extra premium to use this lens at , say, f/2.8?

    I have the 50 f/1.8 and find it to be very good. I am sure therr are a lot of f/1.4 usesrs that think is am silly but this is just one persons opinion :-)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Canon Lens: Which one should I get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ballwackers View Post
    try this - the 28 f/1.8 and the 50 f/1.8. that gives you both for a better price.

    I don 't think the 50 f/1.4 adds that much value over the f/1.8. Do your research, and if you are like me you find a few articles that say about the 50 1/4 "a bit soft wide open but very sharp once you stop down'... what is the point of paying the extra premium to use this lens at , say, f/2.8?

    I have the 50 f/1.8 and find it to be very good. I am sure therr are a lot of f/1.4 usesrs that think is am silly but this is just one persons opinion :-)
    I was actually looking at the 28mm f/1.8 or the 50mm f/1.4. I find that 50mm may be a bit squeezy if i'm an arms length away from my subject. Anyone has experience with the IQ of the 28mm f/1.8?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •