Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Films and ROM Photography

Question Films and ROM Photography

Hi! I am absolutely new and I would like to seek some "enlightenment" on some issues (I do not own a digital camera yet).

Here goes :
    - Why are my photos so grainy when I use only ASA400 indoors? The brand was Kodak.
    - I am photgraphing my friends' ROM next week and I am worried about the turn out. Besides the bounce flash thingy (which I have not tried), my next worry is about the grainy prints.
    - Things to look out for while photographing ROM.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
    b

Try using Fuji Superia 400. I feel they are better compared to Kodak comsumer level 400 films.

Quote Originally Posted by _BEE_
    Hi! I am absolutely new and I would like to seek some "enlightenment" on some issues (I do not own a digital camera yet).

Here goes :
    - Why are my photos so grainy when I use only ASA400 indoors? The brand was Kodak.
    - I am photgraphing my friends' ROM next week and I am worried about the turn out. Besides the bounce flash thingy (which I have not tried), my next worry is about the grainy prints.

Regards,
    b
    Hi Bee,

I think I know you. Is your email start with "Ung.." ?

Hey Chris. How's your wedding photography assignment coming along? Moi panicking now.

Here goes :

Regards,
    b
    Argh. Kodak MAX 400 has one of the largest grains around for ISO400 films. I too was a Kodak MAX 400 user until I tried Fujifilm's Superia X-TRA 400. For best results I would recommend using the "professional" films from Kodak (Portra series) and Fujifilm (Press or other protrait series). These film are apparently formulated for more natural skin tones. It's people's once-in-a-lifetime event; you want them to have beautiful memories, right?

In short, just stay away from Kodak MAX 400.

I've not shot an ROM ceremony before, so can't advice much. But for bounce flash, get yourself a decent bounce card (I hope you know you need that!) and know that it works effectively only with a relatively low ceiling. Whether it is good idea to use flash in the first place is another question.

If you're using flash, get a moderately powerful flash for effective bounce. What model of flash do you have?

I will be using my new purchase. It's METZ 54 MZ3 on my EOS 300.

Good enough, at par with the 550EX.
    With a low enough ceiling it shouldn't be a problem getting beautiful bounced flash.

Other things you may want to take into consideration, and for others to chip in as part of the discussion:
    • Consider what lenses to bring (if you have a range to choose from in the first place)
    • How many rolls of film to bring [personally I think to be kiasu than to live on the edge]
    • Post processing: which lab are you bringing the films to process and print

Well, my equipment, very limited (as expected).

Lens - 28-100
    Films - 4 rolls
    Processing - Grace Digital (have not tried but heard not bad) or Konota
    Bounce Card - Will be buying plastic compressed corrogated cardboard, cut into a rectangle and somehow stick to my flash (??)

Talking

Hey Chris. How's your wedding photography assignment coming along? Moi panicking now.
    Well,

I guess right, it's you. Hee Hee. Well, can't find anyone to shoot. Prepare to give up on the assignment

28mm should be wide enough if u use film body..
    get more film lah, 4 roll where got enough, once a life-time event leh...

Bee... ROM ceiling relatively low... that time i was using 380 for my eos50e when i reach the stair i bounce the flash up... the photo came out underexpose... this is wad i know hope it help...

edit : maybe can find someone to backup u too...
    Last edited by Kelvin^Newbie; 14th April 2004 at 09:32 PM.

Oh god! I thought I could kick away the habit of being too kiasu. Guess most photographers are the same (????). So, how many rolls do I need to bring? The areas I am shooting are probably :
    - At the ROM before the event
    - Inside the room
    - Fort Canning maybe
    - Small gathering at restaurant

Base on the previous reply on the films, can I use the ASA400 throughout for the entire affair, even if it's oudoor for the later part?

Chris, if that's the case, then u won't get the cert leh.

Oh god! I thought I could kick away the habit of being too kiasu. Guess most photographers are the same (????). So, how many rolls do I need to bring? The areas I am shooting are probably :
    - At the ROM before the event
    - Inside the room
    - Fort Canning maybe
    - Small gathering at restaurant

Base on the previous reply on the films, can I use the ASA400 throughout for the entire affair, even if it's oudoor for the later part?
    At the ROM before the event : 1/2 roll enff liao.. maybe 1 roll if their family want to take photo with them...
    Inside the room : 1/2 or 1 roll... not realli much time to change film...
    Fort Canning maybe : another half roll... erm... u intend to take their family too?
    Small gathering at restaurant : use up the half roll...

actaully i think 2 - 3 roll is enough... get a xtra roll for backup...

4 rolls = 144 photos.. that's quite a lot in my opinion.
    although it's once in a lifetime thing, but it's only ROM!
    but of cos, u can always be kiasu and bring more.. i think u will only use 2-3 rolls

I believe you bring 4-5 rolls will be enough. The average I have taken is 3 rolls for friends, including the lunch reception.

If they are rushing to the lunch reception, I doubt you will have time to get many shots at the Fort canning park.

Use a fresh roll before going into the solemisation room, unless you want everyone to wait for you to change a new roll.

I believe the advice given already are more than sufficient. However, I would like to add in a word of caution: Don't try to play with flashlights if you are not confident enough. Since this is your friend's once in a lifetime event, it is better if you can do some test shoots first with your flash before shooting the actual event. Standards asked in this kind of shooting is not very high unless you are very well paid. If not, just relax, treat it as an experience and better ask for a backup.

Recce Fort Canning if you are required to shoot around the place. It will not appear good on you if you can't decide what is the next location to shoot.
    Last edited by Yezrah; 14th April 2004 at 11:53 PM.

Here goes :

Regards,
    b
    If you can, go down to the site to do some test shots with the flash. Try to be farmilar with the flash. Normally for wedding, flash is a must!!! Apart if you are doing with extra high speed B&W film, that will be a different story.

Use films such as NPH400 or press 800 kinda of pro film, it perform better.

If you know the shots going to be underexposed, ask the lab to push the film, in that way, you might able to savage the situation.

My 2 cents worth of input.

Is ROM ceiling good for bounce flash? Not sure. Outside waiting area is definately no. Inside can't remember liao....so long never go there. But its good to have a white card on the flash when bounce.

Yup..Use Fuji Film..at the very least Superia Xtra 400...If you want Fine grain and high contrast rich colors Fuji NPC160 (but its slower than 400 film) but the grain is unbelievable...

One thing is to bring some Xtra film I know 4 or 3 seem to be too much, but it
    doesnt hurt to have a couple of rolls xtra just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast