Thread: which lens to buy

Default which lens to buy

i'm going to buy canon 550d not sure which kit i should buy

my purpose of the camera is for traveling, love to take picture taken in the night.

how much is the canon 550d cost at the canon buy back program? i have enquired the customer service. she mentioned that my canon a540I is old model. what does it mean? can i still use it to trade in for canon 550d?

Default Re: which lens to buy

The 18-55mm kit lens will give a light setup for travelling.
    For a longer range, Canon 18-200mm IS, Tamron 18-270 VC or Sigma 18-250mm OS are nice choices but they are heavier and expensive > $800.
    If a start, probably u can explore your 18-55mm kit lens and get a good travelling tripod for night photography.
    Try to get tripod which can support more weight/load than your current setup to cater for future upgrades.

For traveling a you might wanna look at the 18-200mm or the 15-85mm.
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sherry02 View Post
    i'm going to buy canon 550d not sure which kit i should buy

my purpose of the camera is for traveling, love to take picture taken in the night.

how much is the canon 550d cost at the canon buy back program? i have enquired the customer service. she mentioned that my canon a540I is old model. what does it mean? can i still use it to trade in for canon 550d?
    For travelling - get a do it all lens in 18-200mm
    For Night photography - do set aside extra cash for a reliable tripod/ballhead and cable release..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

how much is the canon 550d? is the package come separately for body n lenses

what is the different between kit 1 and 2? i am just a beginner into dslr photography

550 kit I comes with a 18-55mm lens while kit II comes with a 18-135mm lens. Of course kit II will be slightly more expensive.

how much is the canon 550d? is the package come separately for body n lenses

what is the different between kit 1 and 2? i am just a beginner into dslr photography
    Hihi,

I just got my 550D Kit II. I believe the extra bit more is worth it. My personal opinion.
    Cheers.

Iven

Quote Originally Posted by Ivshootphoto View Post
    Hihi,

I just got my 550D Kit II. I believe the extra bit more is worth it. My personal opinion.
    Cheers.

Iven
    how much do u pay it? beside buying the camera, what else i need to get? thanks

IF you're looking for a all-in-one kit, I would recommend the kit 2 18-135mm, which has a longer zoom. I think the built and image quality is also better than the kit lens 18-55mm.

Other things which you might need right now includes cleaning kit, dry cabinet, blower, bag, extra battery and memory cards. In the future, you might also look to invest in a tripod, filters, flash unit, more lenses, battery grip, etc. Have fun!

Deregistered

Don't be lazy and check the canon price guide.Filters,camera bag,spare batteries,dry cab and cleaning kit are some of the most important items...

if you're on a low budget, just get the Kit I.... since you're just starting out with DSLR photography, you should learn how to use the lens, what you can achieve etc before investing more money into this hobby/passion.

After a year or two when you're comfortable and up to a certain level, then you will want to upgrade ur lens.. depending on what type of photography you tend towards.. which is why you yourself must go and shoot, experiment first...

also by that time you will have saved up money to invest in a good lens.. instead of just keep playing the upgrading game...
    the extra equipment that you purchase is also dependent on how serious you wanna get.. tripods, filters etc... you need to understand that it is a expensive hobby or profession...

Please take your time reading the newbies guides and look for the price guides as well. Make your own decisions, it's your money that you spend and you will use the camera.
    Personally: I never had much need to use the telephoto range during travels. Mostly wide angle and normal range. But the 18-135 is a good starting point.
    For all the other stuffs: read the guides, make sure you understand what is the purpose of the equipment and don't get caught into this idea of "precious camera, must be protected". Fear and uncertainty is the baseline of entire industry branches (insurance) and finally it only costs a lot of money. My 350D has seen volcanoes from top and sandy beaches from ground level including lens changes - without any problems. Never used filters but got great images.
    Get a dry cabinet, that's the only "must have" here. Get everything else once you know why you need it (and the reason is not related to 'protection )
    EOS