Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: panballhead

Default Re: panballhead

My heaviest gear is 5DMKII + 35mm f1.4. About coming to 1.5 kg. No issues though. G10 supposing can carry load of 10kg , G20 20kg.

if you're looking at doing panos with ball-head panning, adjusting the levelness of the tripod by adjusting the legs is probably gonna take some effort and would probably not allow fine adjustments... you might want to look at using a leveling base such as this... by articulating that one joint, you can make sure that the base of the ball-head attached on top of the leveling base is perfectly level... it might seem cumbersome to use a "ball-head" to level the base of another ball-head, but it works very smoothly, very quickly, and, depending on your skill and practise, very accurately... YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    if you're looking at doing panos with ball-head panning, adjusting the levelness of the tripod by adjusting the legs is probably gonna take some effort and would probably not allow fine adjustments... you might want to look at using a leveling base such as this... by articulating that one joint, you can make sure that the base of the ball-head attached on top of the leveling base is perfectly level... it might seem cumbersome to use a "ball-head" to level the base of another ball-head, but it works very smoothly, very quickly, and, depending on your skill and practise, very accurately... YMMV
    i actually saw one of these while i was browsing, and i suspected it was used as such. that one was a manfrotto one.

well, i'm still on a tight budget.. but i definitely intend to get one of these in the future!

thanks for the recommendation. useful indeed. it also means that if i don't get a tripod leg set without a spirit level, it'll still be fine.

i'm using G-20 ballhead too, matched with T-2204X, carbon fiber for such value, don't really think twice when I see/feel it the first time.

Design seems to be coping other brands, and many not so famous brands are coping each other. Well this is a decent ballhead with decent price point. But it doesn't tell me how long it will serve me.
    Last edited by wmayeo; 29th May 2010 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    thanks. i have actually looked at manfrotto 488 series, the main issue for me is really that that ballhead has no spirit level.
    have lay, use their RC0 system. that one got 2 somemore, one for landscape & the other for portrait orientation. i have been using that for afew years liao.

only down side (thought this one is not critical for me) is when using it with big mama lens, it will move a little wee bit when u tighten the ball knob, but after it is tighten it will not crip.

it is very tough, i have throw it onto solid ground many time, together with the 055pro tripod, so far so good.

I also have the giottos MH 1308 i think, the small one, dropped it once before and the ball knob comes loose, had to roll up the rubber sleeve to tighten the 2 small set screws. ever since that happened, it so often comes loose by itself that i got so fedup i apply super glue to the set screws this morning.

but i have to say that the giottos ball head has better finishing than the mafrottos & also feels more precise in the assembly when i operate it. also, having only 1 slot for the ball head to be tilted to portrait orientation is to me a more stable design, compare to the manfrottos.
    Last edited by denniskee; 29th May 2010 at 11:27 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    cos i think they want to keep the ball head as compact as possible...

(pardon my messy bed, anyhow take this photo to show how it looks like with my cat sleeping near me lol!)

if u want to see the spirit level, u just push out the plate a little and tighten the knob. And when u dun need to use the spirit level, just push all the way in till it fits then tighten the knob. Quite interesting design though haha.
    Ahhh.. now it makes more sense!

Thanks for the explanation + photo!

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    have lay, use their RC0 system. that one got 2 somemore, one for landscape & the other for portrait orientation. i have been using that for afew years liao.
    thanks for your feedback and yes, rc0 has, i just checked..

manfrottos still more expensive though.

leong has updated me that cathay no longer carries the ballhead i want. guess i'll get it here then.

many thanks people for your help. thanks for all the suggestions and time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12